A schooling fish can be regarded as any gathering of fish that dwell, move and swim together in a similar direction in an organized form. One amazing thing about this fish species is their natural beauty. The manner in which they move near to one another more or less like perfect rhythm is really jaw-dropping.
Discussed in the article are 7 best schooling fish that are hardy, peaceful, endowed with beauty, and always amazing for visitors to watch without any boredom arising.
7 Best Schooling Fish To Get In Your Aquarium
1. White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys Albonubes)
This fish is usually known to be a simple schooling fish suitable for a freshwater aquarium. White cloud mountain minnows often fall victim of inappropriate housing and care. Check out the care sheet purposely written for White Cloud Mountain Minnow.
- They look sturdy, dynamic, and beautiful.
- They are so simple to breed, which makes them convenient for a starter.
- The major risk regarding this fish is their little size of just 1.5 inches.
- They adapt well on a water temperature level between 65-75⁰ Fahrenheit.
- It has been proven that they can be able to resist a temperature between 50-90⁰ Fahrenheit for just a short timeframe with marginally soft water pH ranging between 6.0 and 8.0.
2. Cherry Barb (Puntius Titteya)
The Puntius, otherwise known as a barb, usually gets selected out for tanks and aquariums simply because of the aggression and nippy capabilities of one species in its family called the tiger barb, which tends to tarnish the image of their family.Notwithstanding, there are still lots of barbs species that are not aggressive. A typical example is the Cherry Barb. Cherry barb derived its name in a situation when their males become dark red during spawning and their body looks just like cherry.
- This fish body is either in black or silver with a brilliant even stripe that extends over the body.
- It is a quiet, yet sturdy and it doesn’t take much to figure out how to take care of them.
- They endure an extensive kind of water parameters, which can be awesome for a starter aquarist.
- They are little fish as they develop to 2 inches at the most.
- They display well whenever they are among schools of 6 or more fish.
- The appropriate temperature for most cherry barbs is within the range of 73-80⁰ Fahrenheit and pH value between 6.0 – 7.5.
3. Rummy-Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus Bleheri)
This species has always been the favorite choice for both fish and live plant specialists. The rummy nose tetra is extremely tranquil and can form an amazing tank if housed with almost the same small species.
They display best in schools of at least 6 and may undergo stress if not given concealing spots and plants, either live or plastic.
- Rummy-nose derived its name from the red crimsoning mark that extends over its face and mouth.
- They have become a standout amongst the most famous schooling fish and look so amazing to watch in any aquarium.
- The black tail and silver body they possess make them look delightful.
- They do the best while in groupings, yet love to be in a hidden spot once in a while.
- They are highly touchy fish and responds quickly to pH vacillations and temperature.
- The best adaptable water temperature suitable for a rummy-nose tetra is the one between 72-77⁰ Fahrenheit with a PH value within the range of 5.5 and 7.0.
4. Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
f you are a type that loves to keep tetras but still wish to have something apart from a super bright color, the black skirt tetra, otherwise known as the black widow tetra, may be just what you are looking for.
- Black skirts Tetra is one of the simplest tetra species to handle and you can come across them in any aquarium stores.
- They don’t require a particular water configuration, but it will be of more benefit for them if the lighting is repressed by dark substrates and skimming live plants such as Indian almond leaves.
- An aquarium that can contain up to 20 gallons/80L of water is cool for this species.
- They are Active in their own waysThey need a lot of swimming space.
5. Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora Heteromorpha)
This species of fish will interest you. They have emerged to be a most loved and most preferred among aquarist for quite a long time now all because of their popularity, toughness, brilliant colors and serene conduct and have made the best beginner fish list which is quite impressive.
- The dark triangular piece found close to its fin will effortlessly make you recognize these fish.
- They are mostly found in groups as they welcome the company other species of fish.
- They form a close-packed school together and are always at a go most especially when viewed through an aquarium.
- While swimming in circles, they always prefer to stay at the highest point of the tank.
- They can also be regarded as small fishes due their 2-inches length.
- Little, active, beautiful and very easy to keep makes these fish be most preferred by many aquarists around the globe.
- They can be easily kept by a Beginner.
- They always enjoy a temperature between the range of 73 and 85⁰ Fahrenheit and a pH between the range of 6.0 to 6.7 and highly recommended for them.
6. Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon Axelrodi)
These simple schooling fish are excessively wonderful species to pick when choosing a schooling fish for your freshwater aquarium.
The Cardinal Tetra gives your home freshwater aquarium a nice and attractive look. It has a splendid blue stripe differentiated by a lower red stripe that cut through the whole length of the fish.
- It has a gleaming, splendid blue stripe over the whole length of the fish body and another red stripe simply under the blue one.
- They are gotten wild from Brazil which is their natural habitat and sent out to different parts of the world.
- They grow up to 1.5 inches and are incredible to watch while swimming.
- They display well in groups of 6.
- They always enjoy a perfect temperature between the range of 73 and 81⁰ Fahrenheit and a pH between the range of 6.0 to 6.7 is best and highly recommended for them.
7. Zebra Danio Minnow (Danio Rerio)
This species is a standout amongst the most prominent tropical fish. They can be recognized easily because of their striped zebra-like stripes. They are exceptionally tough, appealing to watch and they more often gather in 6.
The Zebra Danio is a decent fish for people in interested in tropical fish because they can withstand various water configuration.
- They are usually found in gold or silver color with blue or purple stripes cutting through their body.
- They are great swimmers and stay near the water surface which makes them delightful to watch while in real life.
- This fish is both economical and sturdy, which makes it an incredible fish for a starter.
- Today they are specifically reared all over the world, so there is a lot of varieties to select from.
- Temperatures suitable for zebra danios ranges between 64 and 75⁰ Fahrenheit.
- They enjoy marginally acidic water of a pH value between the range of 6.0-7-0.
After reading this article, we believe you’ve possessed enough knowledge about the best species of fish to school. As far as schooling fish is a concern, never forget that the bigger the gathering the better they will look.
While the majority of them prefer of a group of 7, a group of no less than 20 is significantly more breathtaking and the fish will truly welcome the company. Schooling fish serve as a source of beauty to any tank as they convey life and amusement to each aquarium.
If in any way you are making plans to have a school of fish in your aquarium, ensure you consider the capacity of your aquarium to accurately decide the fishes that your aquarium can accommodate. It is advisable not to overpopulate your tank with the intention of having a school of fish.
If you have any additional questions or want to share your experiences about the schooling fish discussed above, simply leave a comment below. Happy fishkeeping!