Best way to treat baterial or parasite invested pond
  • boxtorboxtor November 2011
    Hi,
    I need advice from the bros here, the most pratical ways to treat either baterial or parasite invested pond.
    Please relate your experience and method to do it. Thanks you so much.
  • lautslauts November 2011
    Depends on what you are treating against. Some are easy and can be done in pond with Antiparasite , PP, S1 etc . Some best done in QT for those affected only like tail/fin rot and ulcers and some need to clear whole pond in QT and kill everything in pond and start again like serious gill/ skin flukes infection IMHO.

ts

As for my case, the symptoms is white "shreds" hanging from body, slime coat appears cloudy, the eye looks cloudy and pop, the slime coat is sloughing too. I have QT my whole school of them and is currently under treatment. Looking gook now (cross fingers).

As this is the first time for me to face such infection for my school, I need help and advice how to disinfect the whole pond and its filter. Does salting it will do or must I PP wash the whole pond?
  • lautslauts November 2011
    You are asking how to disinfect pond WITHOUT any kois in it ? Well the PP strong at maybe 10ppm and keep pink at 24hrs will rid of most everything if water is well circulated not missing the pull pipes. Salting is not sufficient. But you need to rid of eggs as well esp from flukes and white spot disease. Thereafter you can leave the pond bare for 2 weeks for eggs to hatch and larvae to die off without food.
    From symptoms, lots of slime you mentioned likely some protozoan infection like Trichodina, Costia, maybe white spot . Kills fast but easy to treat using MGF, PP , acriflavine based like S1.

ts
    thanks a lot, Lauts! Really needed those advice. I try that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership