The current status of the Sakai Tomahawk Kohaku
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    I would like to share the lastest on the Tomahawk broken right Pectoral fin.
    The koi has not yet recovered.......
    I have included pictures i.e. to share with friends here.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4664/IMG-20111024-00060.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4665/IMG-20111024-00064.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4666/IMG-20111024-00067.jpg
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2011-10-24 11:57:06 pm
  • lautslauts October 2011
    Well done Doc Shukri L-)

I can see the neat stitches you did. Only seen it done in D.Griffith's advance koi treatment book. Your Tomahawk looks like on way to speedy recovery , without any sight of dead tissues .

ts
  • megatronmegatron October 2011
    Bro Shukri, she is looking good, hope she recovers soon.
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Bros TS & Megatron,
    Thanks for the encouraging words.......hope she will recover well and soon. I did the best that I could bearing the circumstances. Next time if any of you guys' kois suffer similar fate, I surely can give a helping hand.......Of course, best is not to go through what I went through..........Still, I am praying that the Tomahawk will be OK.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • KaajKaaj October 2011
    Abang Shukri,
    What happened to the ulcer located at lower lip/chin of the koi?
  • NeliNeli October 2011
    Darling bro!
    I would like to chip in: Do not keep the stitches for longer than 10 possibly 15 days.
    They are a foreign body and the Koi will constantly try to reject them. That will cause secondary/ additional irritation /infection that can be detrimental to your Koi.
    That amount of time is sufficient for healing to commence.
    What medication are U using?
    Job well done!
    I recently had to cut a jaw bone of my showa and it has healed without scaring ....
    I have pictures too if U are interested.
    Post edited by Neli at 2011-10-25 10:31:27 pm
    I used Gentian Violet spray with Oxytetracycline. Yeah! Lets see the pictures......
  • ikankoikauikankoikau October 2011
    Bro Shukri,

I was missing for a while but it's good to know that you have done a good job. I really hope she will recover well. Neli got a good point there.
  • NeliNeli October 2011
    GV is anti fungal and mildly antiseptic. In combination with antibiotics is very good.
    What I do is I get 3 broad spectrum antibiotics (capsules) (one of them kanamycine) and one sulphamid, and mix them. I apply them on the sore and seal them on top.

This is the fish...
    It started as a serious mouth infection. After the first round of treatment it did not improve much (or I was too scared and impatient) so after a week I did a second round of another antibiotic Kanamycine every other day for 5 days. The lower part of the wound started growing under the bone, preventing the two edges of the wound to meet and heal, also had some discoloration.
    This pictures are from the second round of treatment, and after the cutting of the bone in 3-4 days the wound was healed.
    Bro please keep posting pictures of your fish.It is very interesting, and educational.
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4715/Nevil%20mouth%20rot.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4717/SAM_1849%20(800x763).jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4716/009%20(560x640).jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4717/SAM_1849%20(800x763).jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4718/SAM_1486%20(640x480).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/4719/SAM_2055 (524x640).jpg
    The purple on the last picture is GV.
    Post edited by Neli at 2011-10-30 01:51:03 am
  • ShukriShukri January 2012
    Hi Neli,
    Sorry for the late reply as I was away overseas for more than 2 months. You are really a natural surgeon. Nice job there that you did. the fish recovered well. As for my Tomahawk, the torn skin and flesh have joined back with ugly scars at the present moment. However, the broken main bone is still unjoined, which is an ugly sight. I am waiting for that day that I am free to do another corective surgery. I will be consulting an expert on the best way to proceed forward.

I will be bowling the koi soon, and will be taking pictures and will post them here.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2012
    Bro Shukri,
    Dont bowl la bro... Just take photo from the pond. I'm worried it might get injured again. Must be very fragile still. Unless you are performing another surgery. ;-)
    OK noted bro. Right now, I am still not confident to net and bowl the koi.........
    Hi there Sis Neli,
    Since you have a Vet background plus you have done surgery before on kois, I need to ask you something. The broken right pectoral fin has healed but I have an issue at hand. The skin and tissues have come back together after I have sowed them together. However, the broken leading bone has not joined. So, I have two separate pieces that looked quite odd. Right now, I do not have a clue on what I should do?

If you have done it before or you have any idea, please share it with me........

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership