Can feeding done during Raining
  • huatyhuaty October 2011
    Hi all, my pond is outdoor. Rain water will hit the pond directly and mix with it. But i was advice that no to feed them during raining. May i know the reason. Thx.
  • huatyhuaty October 2011
    anyone!!!
  • lautslauts October 2011
    The best advise i can provide is observe the kois. Do they look like feeding or lethargic. Understanding the reasoning behind the advise of not feeding. I think if the pond pH has been impacted by rain water then better not to feed. If you pond have been well buffered with oyster/corals then i see no reason not to feed. Infact if i read correctly Bro Kaaj mentioned better appetite likely due to lower temperature so better feeding. I have been taking this darker, rainy days to pump my kois for last 1.5 month. The lower pond temp now ( 27c) plus free rainwater overflow is good. But my pond is well buffered and probably big enough to take the impact , also i measure the pH daily nowadays. I also have few kilo of soda bicarbs just in case.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2011-10-21 05:16:00 pm
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    Hi Huaty, my pond is about 90% covered and shaded. Rain or shine, I have been feeding my kois without problems. While changing water I also feed my kois without problems.

If we understand what we are doing than I guess that feeding is fine at all times...... :)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • heng84heng84 October 2011
    hi tumpang thread, want to ask whats the recommended oyster dosage to put into my pond?? 15 tonne but all the rain water from the side of the roof goes into the pond haha.. im a little worried since its raining everyday in the afternoon.. but i change my water daily 10% and get it checked yesterday my ph still around 7.8.. and i just bought 20kgs of oyster shell today.. is it sufficient?
  • weihanweihan October 2011
    Hey Heng84, since the sources of the rain in from your roof, it is highly recommended to direct the water into the drain but not the pond. Rain water will not only change the pH value of the pond but might bring diseases to your fishes. You won't know how many bird shit are there on your roof!!
  • heng84heng84 October 2011
    i know but unfortunately i only can leave it as it is.. its a glass roof on the side of the house.. i cant extend further because its a semi d.. if too much is extended water would splash towards neighbour.. so instead its splashed to the pond.. since its glass i cant install gutter and let the water flow into drain
  • lautslauts October 2011
    It depends on how much rain water goes into the pond and size of pond. I am keeping at abt 4-5kg per tonne water , but i don't have roof that slants towards my pond only direct rain drops. My concern is more towards chemicals in rain water. If you are staying near some industrial area and you see chimneys everywhere billowing black smoke , i would worry abt the rain going into my pond.
    During my discus keeping days , i used to collect rain water , low pH and soft water good for discus. But only after it has been raining for half hour or so , and in rainy season , water then is really gin clear.

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership