Water sources for everyday water changing
  • weihanweihan October 2011
    Hi all Koi sifus, as we know the water supply from pipe water always contain uncertain amount of clorine that are harmful to our lovely koi, and the mineral contain of the water supply are not sufficient for fish development, and that's why we are adding mineral powder periodically to our pond. Just wonder any brother here actually used underground water supply for daily water change for their fish pond? and is the underground water supply suitable for our fishes? If it is, I think that's a good way to save on monthly water supply and is safe for our fish.
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    You would need to drill a well to do that. If your house is on a hill, you may need to drill quite deep. It can be quite costly to drill, and eventually I believe it would end up much more costly for simple hobbyists like us. I know of a hobbyist who spent RM50,000 to drill such a well. It may be more worthwhile if you have multiple koi ponds as a dealer would have, like Sentul Park Koi Centre. Bear in mind also that you'll need to pump the water up, so it's not exactly free. The further down you drill, the cleaner the water is, but the more costly to drill and pump up from.

After drilling the well, you would also need to do a detailed water test to check for any existence of harmful trace minerals. This will differ from place to place depending on what is around you and the soil makeup. As an extreme illustration, if there is a chemical plant near your house, the underground water may be a bit more toxic. After incurring heavy cost to drill a well, you may find the water unsuitable.

So, does that put you off the idea? :-D
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-10-14 08:12:58 pm
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    A much better alternative is mountain water, but you can only do this if you live halfway up a mountain. I don't think there are any mountains in Spore! But some hobbyists in Indonesia and Malaysia use mountain water when it is available. No drilling required and much cheaper to pump.
    Hi Paul, I'm from JB instead of Singapore :-D , nice to hear from you as you always point right to the point and get new hobby like me out from mud haha. I'm staying up hill but unfortunately, only got longkang water but no mountain water :-(( I had this idea that natural water will be able to give us better quality koi, hence was thinking alternative way to get good water. And your input actually put me out of the idea eh! Thanks for your comment and goodluck!
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    Most Japanese breeders are using mountain water. It would be great if we could all have mountain water, but not really possible for most of us unfortunately.
  • st8800st8800 October 2011
    Normally just use activated carbon filter to take out chlorine. As for chloramine, use anti-chlorine with anti-chloramine to remove during filter cleaning when u are changing a larger amount of water. Works very well for me.
    Best
    Spencer
    Thanks Spencer :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership