Need help to remove lice
  • kennywookennywoo September 2011
    Hi bros and sifus,

I facing the lice problem which repeat regularly.
    Daily wash the filter and water change 10%. But i noticed that little bug or insect inside my filter.
    Any Advise....

Tq.

Regards

Kenny
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    If it is fish lice (argulus) normally 2 doses of Dimilin will take care of the problem. 2ppm per dose, need to do 2nd dose 4-5 days later to kill the eggs which hatch during those few days. Some people actually do 3 doses, on Day 1, 4 and 7.
    Sifu Pual,

Thank for ur advise, will keep monitoring.
  • WilganWilgan September 2011
    Dimilin cannot be use with salted water right?
  • cookcpucookcpu September 2011
    Salt can go with Dimilin.
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    I have done it many times in the past, not an issue at all.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bros, where can get the Dimilin ?
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    Most koi dealers sell them...... You can also get 'em from King's Aquaculture in Subang Jaya.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ClearWaterClearWater April 2012
    bros, can you guys tell me how to measure the dosage for dimilin? at grams per ton? because I don't know how to measure ppm. thanks!
  • SRathaSRatha April 2012
    Had this problem before I used dimilin, it worked quite well. I dosed 3 times just to make sure. Now the lice are all gone.
  • ClearWaterClearWater April 2012
    thanks bro. what was your dosage?
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    Bro ClearWater, go and get a digital weighing machine (the cheap ones are from China). 1 to 2 grams per metric ton will do.......Let it soak ideally for 5 days up to a max of 7 days. Change about 20 to 25 % of the pond water. If you decide to go with a second dosage, now is the time to do it. Else, life as normal.........Please remember that Dimilin is a pesticide i.e. poison to the insects and pests.......handle with care (use rubber gloves) and do not inhale the Dimilin powder.........During the medication period, please turn off the UV light and do not feed your fishes......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-04-28 08:32:14 pm
  • ikankoikauikankoikau April 2012
    Bro,

I strongly suggest that you do at least two treatments. The first treatment is to kill the living lice and the second treatment is for the eggs that hatches after 4 days.

These was what I did:

Day 1: no feeding. Switch off UV and carry out treatment 6pm onwards. Dosage is what bro Shukri suggested(1-2gram per metric ton)

Day 2: no feeding
    Day 3: no feeding. Partial water change, 20-30%

Day 4: light feeding

Day 5: All eggs(if any) will surely hatched by now. Repeat Day 1 till Day 3.

Same procedure for Anchor worm.
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Hi capt, can explain what's the purpose of not feeding?
  • khongkhong April 2012
    Please pardon my ignorance, may I know what type of problem / harm will cause by the water lice, to our kois?

From time to time, I saw some dead lice in my filtering chamber.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    Bro Khong,

The Lice can cause secondary infection to a koi. Secondary infection may be ulcer that can grow. If left unattended, lice multiply at a very fast rate in a close system
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    Lice infection normally is the primary one, and secondary infection do come in normally and more often than not are the bacteria infection which can cause death if left untreated.......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-04-30 01:33:06 pm
    Bro Weihan,

Feeding can contribute many factors such as higher oxy requirement to digest food, ammonia build up, side effect of digesting food which got mixed up with medicated water, higher workload for the body esp when the koi is sick and etc. In general, it will reduce stress. Like human too, if you are going for an operation, fasting is a must or highly recommended. Fasting will eliminate many factors so that treatment can take place effectively.

When we are treating the pond for any problem, we have to address the issue first which is to cure disease or treating the pond.Food should be the least priority as a koi can easily survive even after 2 to 3 weeks without feeding.
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Noted, thanks bro IKK
    You're most welcome bro.
  • NeliNeli May 2012
    Are lice found in the filter? Do U see them in the filter first and then on the fish? Can it be that they are just in the filter, and not on the fish?
    Can it be that he has something else?
    Do U get them from new fish, or they can come just like that?
    I never had them yet.
    Post edited by Neli at 2012-05-01 02:07:42 am

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership