KH at my pond
  • raymond_ongraymond_ong September 2011
    Dear all sifu and guruji, my pond is quite stable and matured (i think) as the reading for ammonia, nitrite is quite minimum. There are presents of nitrate although at acceptable level (will post the reading, as they are not with me right now). pH is average at 7.3-7.4.

However, i seems cannot get the KH to the satisfactory level. KH reading is always at 2-3dKH.

My pond is 8tonnes. Exposed. Conventional up down filter. I change 10% of water in 4 interval session everyday. I've put in 100kg of oyster shell, but seems the same. Nowadays, seems like raining during evening and morning everydays. With low KH, worried pond water cannot absorb any pH spike if occure. What can i do?

Is there any relationship between KH and koi's quality such as sumi, beni, shiroji etc?
  • lautslauts September 2011
    No worries bro on the kH reading of 2-3dkH. Your 100kg oyster to 8 tonne pond is more than sufficient to hold pH steady , especially with good water change of 10%. pH is good but a bit on low side with the 100kg oyster , have you tested your source water ? Using conventional tester off the shelf you should not register any reading of ammo and nitrite. My pond too is exposed to the rain and nowadays it pours , with more than 200 kg on 60 tonne the pH is stable at 7.6-7.8 , source water at 8. kH also 2-3only ,I measure pH daily on rainy days.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2011-09-21 11:04:15 am
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Bro Raymond, smaller ponds are always much more vulnerable to rapid changes. It doesn't take much of a trigger to change parameters sharply, especially when the pond is relatively overstocked, so the hobbyist must always be on his toes. pH of 7.3-7.4 is fine, about the same as my pond pH. Feeding reduces pH due to the nitrification process. If you stop feeding for a couple of weeks, your pH will likely rise to about 7.8.

Your oyster shells are a bit overdone, but no harm. Don't really need so much. I only use 75kg for 50 ton pond. Oyster shells work only when the water turns acidic (pH below 7.0), the acidic water will slowly dissolve the shells and bring the pH back up. When water is alkaline, the oyster shells hardly have any effect at all. With recent heavy rain and your pH stable at 7.3-7.4, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I don't measure kH, so am not familiar with this measurement. Are you using home test kits or professional water testing companies to test your water?

Make sure that your pond is not a collection point for rain water falling from your house roof.
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-09-20 06:22:32 pm
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin September 2011
    I'm using fiberglass tank to keep my Kois, some more is indoor so i hv no problem with PH , but i realized that sumi will hardly emerge if the KH is a bit too low (especially Shiro). My KH reading is 6dkh at all time. If you want to buffer your KH, you can try putting some brick into your filter, this what i'm doing :)
    Bro lauts, Paul, Joshua, you guyz and others in this community are great bunch of people, i reckons you guyz response faster than if i call 999. Haha.

Bro lauts, tq. Ya, I've never though of testing the water source. Am using self tester with test tube and colour chart (wife always complain that i thought myself part of CSI).

My average water parameters
    Nitrite (NO2) : 0.25mg/l
    Ammonia (NH3) : 0.0mg/l
    Nitrate (NO3) : 25mg/l

Bro lau, Bro Paul, is it always ammonia and nitrite should be 0. I'm using this self tester called Sera.

Bro Paul, i didn't know that we can actually call someone to test our water. Is it costly? What parameters do they test?

Bro Joshua, falling in love with your shiro. Back to the topic, what type of brick? Clay bricks or cement sand bricks?

Tq in advance
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Bro Raymond, there are various water testing companies around, the one I use is Permulab (Darren 012-2942156). They can test anything you like, including bacterial levels. Price is between RM20 and RM40 per parameter, depending on which parameter. I had tried Sera test kits before but not very helpful for me because of my colour blindness problem. But even when buddies helped me with the colours, I found the readings totally off when I compared with the results of parallel tests I did using Permulab.

Your nitrites level is a little high. My level is usually less than 0.01mg/l. Ammonia on the other hand tends to be 0.1-0.2mg/l in my pond and is also quite normal. Under most home test kits, anything under 0.25mg/l will register as zero, I believe.

My nitrates level varies between 5 and 50. Nothing wrong there.
  • ashfaqashfaq September 2011
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Bro Raymond,
    Clay bricks, i put it in my bakki shower
  • DanleeDanlee September 2011
    Bro Joshua,

I am very interested in learning how you use clay bricks to improve your KH and the sumi of your koi. I hope you do not mind sharing what you have done and perhaps answer some of he questions I have below:

- How much do you need to put in your bakki shower before it is effective?
    - How long does it take before you notice the improvement in sumi?
    - Can I put it in the normal filter chambers?
    - Did you measure your KH before and after putting in the clay bricks?
    - Did you notice any negative effects to the beni and shiroji of your koi?

Thanks.
    Bro Daniel,
    1. i din do a calculation on how many Kg of bricks = how many ton of water, my FGT is 8.5ton n i've put 2 pcs in it
    2. in 2 days time u'll see the sumi start to emerge
    3. i only try mine in BS
    4. Yes, my kh before adding bricks is 2dkh
    5. nope so far :)

Actually i get this ideal from Koi Carp Magazine....
  • DanleeDanlee September 2011
    Bro Joshua,

Thanks for the info .. do you have a picture of the clay brick,, just want to make sure I got the right one. BTW, what was your PH before and after you put the bricks? Thanks.
    Post edited by Danlee at 2011-09-27 06:24:20 am
    Bro Daniel,
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/4177/bricks.jpg
    Attachments
    bricks.jpg 11K
  • weihanweihan September 2011
    Hi Joshua, is this normal brick like you used to build your koi pond? Thanks for the info!!
    Bro Joshua, may i ask wether the clay bricks have totally replace the oyster shell. Just imagine with 2 pcs of bricks then don't need oyster shell already. Wah, that's a lot of saving
    Bro Raymond,
    i don't think oyster shell can buffer KH, but when PH raise the KH will raise also. If you're concentrating on raising your KH the PH will still remain. Maybe some other sifu can advise.
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro @JoshuaChin and bro @danlee,

I just stumbled upon your old discussion on this - putting bricks in bakki shower to improve KH level hence improving sumi. Interesting tips! I've already got myself a couple of red clay bricks and thinking of giving this a try but would first really like to understand the science behind this. Is it the dissolved clay that's giving this effect? Is it just sumi or other colours are improved as well? Is it the same effect like using clay powder? Other sifus can also advise? Anyone else have tried this with great success???

Thanks.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • DanleeDanlee July 2012
    Bro Pandai,

Unfortunately, I did not see any noticeable improvement in my koi's sumi after trying the red clay bricks. Maybe, the trick is put them in bakki shower which I did not. Bro Joshua may wish to comment more.
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Thanks bro Danlee. Maybe I should try put it in my bakki shower too, in one of the trays.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • RonnieRonnie July 2012
    Bro's

We still don't have real result from bro JoshuaChin regarding the bricks but it is very interesting if it really work.Brick clay is hard.The only way the mineral to leach will take a long time due to erosion from the BS or maybe it leach some other mineral which is hard to understand if it really works.Did any one try using clay rocks from our river?i have a few Kg in my falls where the water flows return from the filter chamber.Clay river rock is soft and i believe it will leach some clay mineral.KH and PH will go down hill after rain but it will be as normal in a few hour with additional WC too.that is my rm0.20 la... :-D
  • reginaregina May 2013
    hi my Pond water the PH is 76 is good ,put i don't now the KH is 270 it not to high

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership