• ChrisChris September 2011
    Hi all,

Does any one know why koi's gill getting curl? will the gill recover?
    I always facing this problem in my pond.

My pond and maintanace details:

8 ton pond with a 22% filter and a 5layers TT
    Pump turn over 4.5 time/hour
    11pcs of 30cm - 65cm kois
    Daily back flush 5-10%
    Wash brush twice a week
    1st partly only
    2nd wash all.

Pls advise me what should i do?

Regards,
    Chris
    Chris
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2011
    Is your pond sufficiently aerated?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    Please monitor the nitrite level at all times. High nitrite level is often the culprit among others. Does it happen to a fish or a few of them?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi CA & Shukri,

I have 4nos of LP60 running 24/7, i think O2 should not be the problem.

And i dint check nitrite level at all. Cos i though that daily flush can lower the nitrite. Will check it when i get back home this evening.
    As i can see only 3 koi gill get curl the rest look ok.
    Chris
  • lautslauts September 2011
    Hi Chris ,

Ammonia burns the gills . Check that too . In mature pond this unlikely to happen but if you have been using any antibiotics via injections or feed or salted the pond to more than 0.3% , this could have killed the good bacteria . Esp if your bio chambers are small and feeding heavy.

ts

Hi ts, Will check the ammonia as well this evening thanks.
    Chris
    Tested water yesterday.
    Ammonia 0.1- (not accurate)
    NO2 - nil
    NO3 - 10+ppm
    PH - 8.1

I check back my record since i tested on June 2011 are the same.
    Any idea what is going with the gill curl???
    Chris
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2011
    PH is a bit too high. Ideally should be around 7.0 to7.8
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Why do you think ammonia reading is not accurate? Ammonia will never be zero in a pond with fish in it.
  • khongkhong September 2011
    My pond PH is always around 8. How to get it a bit lower?
    Sorry for asking the PH question in this Gill topic.
    Hi Bro Paul,
    I bought that NH3 test kit since 4-5years ago. I though the Ammonia level could be higher, cos the color chat show a bit yellowish only.
    Any comment for the Gill Curl? Will that recover?
    Chris
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Bro Chris, I'm not sure but from what I've read, nitrite level could be the cause, but yours reads zero. I had a tancho with gill curl but even after trimming the flap, it grew back curled also. So I haven't had any successful experience with gill curl. Unfortunately.
    Chris,

Your test kit have expired. Anyway reading of 0.1? my kit minimum measure is 0.25ppm so anything less than 0.25ppm should be ok, i think.

Bros ,

Paul's comment is very true, unless you use a pro test company , anything less than 0.25ppm is not measurable. Danger is when we make water changes with added chlorine. Chlorine+ammonia=chloramine , very stable and needs a lot more antichlorine to remove the chlorine part but ammonia remains and will be released back into the water. Chloramine accumulates in pond and kills the fishes same effect as nitrite, by poisoning the blood. There is no kit available for chlormine detection. Nowadays instead of tapwater going into pond direct and antichlorine added concurrently i let the tap water fill in the sump chamber with anichlorine drip and few hours later pump into the pond. Basically give time for antichlorine to work on the chlorine rather than ammonia in water . Slowing down the pond turnover during water topup would help too . More work but better IMHO.

rgd
    ts
    Hi all,

My friend have the same problem that he is doing water change every day 5%-10%.
    Nitrate level is low as mine (not more then 40ppm)
    Will that gill curl cause by too high of chlorine? cos i never use anti chlorine when i doing water change daily. But only added anti chlorine when i wash brushes.
    Actually i m using water from water tank that already filter by a carbon filter, but chlorine still available when i test with chlorine test kit.
    Recently i visited a friend's pond that he only top up water and wash filter once a year.
    He never had the problem with gill curl. The water look yellowish.... :-(
    M.... 8-> Will try to add anti chlorine when i doing WC daily.
    Any way thank u so much for all bro comment.
    Chris
    Regardless of whether chlorine causes the gill curl, you should dechlorinate. Chloramine will definately be a problem in your pond with free chlorine and ammo and nothing to neutralize it. Your friend's pond may be able to take chlorine better due to dirty filter , your filter being cleaned weekly may actually work against you in this case. Just like PP , the chlorine will work on your kois if there is nothing else to work on. Thiosulfat crystals are a lot cheaper than your kois :-?

ts
  • MfwleeMfwlee May 2013
    Am reviving this thread to ask for some kind advice.
    Have noticed that one of my Dainichi's has curled gill plates, and this has progressively got more prominent after a few months.
    The fish behaves and eats normally, no hanging on the surface of the air stones, but does have a faster breathing rate than the rest. It is the only one out of 20 in the pond with this problem.
    My water parameters are monitored every 2 days - no problems except for a persistent nitrate level between 40 - 80 even though I do a 25% water change with dechlorinated fresh water every week without fail.
    Has anybody else the same problem ? :-( :-( :-(
    Mike Lee
  • MfwleeMfwlee May 2013
    Forgot to add - my Dainichis are about 8 - 10 months old, and I did not notice anything wrong when I bought them. The others are coming along fine.
    Mike Lee
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership