Gill infection
  • weihanweihan August 2011
    Any know what medicine is good to cure gill diseases? My fish keep breathing from the surface of water and air bubbles coming out from the gill.
  • lautslauts August 2011
    Weihan,

Utmost importance is to QT this koi soonest. Knock it out with Transmore and check for gill damage/rot. You need to check the rest of the pond members as well as gill disease spreads very fast. You can use Blagdon AntiUlcer for gill disease. If you find a few others having gill damage you will need to dose whole pond unless you can QT all the kois.

Act fast and good luck.

ts
    Hi lauts,
    Is potassium + 0.3% salt useful for treatment?
  • lautslauts August 2011
    You can try but firstly is it gill rot ? Best is still AntiUlcer . Potasium and salt will further compromise koi breathing as both are O2 stripper and the gills (if gill problem) already eroded and compromised. So PP and salt not first choice.

ts
    i shall upload a video later, hope some of you can help me to see is it gill infection or not....
    The ginrin chagoi is the one
  • ashfaqashfaq August 2011
    Bro @weihan: It seems you have almost all varieties :)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Bro ashfaq,
    All fish belongs to my dad, both of us love Koi :) he loves to have all varieties in his pond...
    shall upload some video later for all 3 ponds i have...
    Btw, is gulping air means gill infection?
  • lautslauts August 2011
    Weihan,

Very friendly chagoi. Again check the gill la , no video can do . I may be mistaken but the chagoi seems to be swimming erratically? In a well stocked pond you have, gill rot will be very dangerous . Check the gills by opening the gill flap and also check the mouth opening for abnormallities . Gulping can mean many things , eliminate the most dangerous cause first ie gill rot as it is highly contagious la. :O

ts
    Lauts,
    This chagoi very friendly and greedy since young, dint even scare of net... Thanks for the info...
  • ChengAunChengAun August 2011
    Gulping also could be symptoms of sinking disease if i'm not mistaken.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Hi CA,
    sinking disease, one of my fish have it too, without gulping.. what is the cause for sinking disease?
    Sinking disease is caused when the swimbladder is filled with air. The air causes the fish to be unbalanced therefore causing the fish to lose control and sink.
  • JamesJames August 2011
    Wah, little CA bursting with knowledge.... =D>
  • PH8PH8 August 2011
    Not exactly, CA. The swim bladder fills with air when the fish wants to swim up, and fills with water when it wants to swim deeper. Kind of a ballast system, not unlike that used by submarines. Swim bladder disease or sinking disease happens when a bacterial infection impairs the proper functioning of the swim bladder or its valves.
    Thanks all for info. Antibiotic shall help for sinking disease in this case.
  • ShukriShukri August 2011
    Hi Weihan,
    TS is correct in saying that 'GULPING' can mean many things.......
    1) Not enough oxygen also can cause fishes to gulp
    2) Parasites in the gills such as gill flukes can also cause fishes to gulp
    3) Bacteria Gill Disease (BGD) is also a culprit
    4) Bad water condition i.e. something in the water can also cause fishes to gulp

So you have to figure out which one.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Shukri,
    I'm sure that my pond got enough oxygen supply so confirm not the first culprit. My dad"s friends came over and he aid it is due to bad water condition, so now having treatment with yellow powder and antibiotic by food now. Btw, thanks for your info :)
    Which pond is it? from the vids that you shared, the ponds look like they may not have enough oxygen supply.

5 ton pond, 12 oxygen gas supply and 2 pump
    Oh, ok. Nevermind :D
  • megatronmegatron April 2012
    I am retrieving this thread as I have a similar problem with one of my shiro lately. She Gulps frequently and stay at the bottom. She eat during feeding time as normal. What shall I do ? Can a yellow powder threat it ? I have yet to check the gill.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Hi megatron, I did check fishes that gulp, their gills are fine, and yellow powder cant get the thing done, but after i gave one of the gulping ochiba to my friend who feed his fish very little with wheatgerm, the gulping actually stop, I am not sure is it the water quality or due to over feeding of my fish....
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    Gulping does not equate to BGD.....it could be many things. One thing for sure, something is irritating the gills.......Could be the water quality (especially high level of Nitrite), Gill Flukes, or the food pellet.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri, can explain on how to deal with gills flukes?
    Hi Bro Weihan,
    There are 2 types of Flukes; one with the fangs outside and sucker inside while the other has fangs on the inside and sucker on the outside. Both are found either in the gills or on the koi body. One hay eggs in/on the koi itselfs while the other lay eggs in the pond. If you look under the microscope, they look leeches. These are under the termatode family of parasites.

Though expensive, Paziquantel is by far the best treatment for Flukes. There are other medications out there that can also treat flukes.
    Bro Shukri, so dimilin are unable to do the tricks? Had tried dimilin as someone told me to, it doesn't work..
    Bro shukri, where to get Paziquantel? This morning when I checked the gill and body, notice there are few ulcers on the fins n the gills have a bit of white color. I had injected 6cc of Lincomycin, oops! I think it could be over dose and it still laid down motionless until now. QT with kenkona koi. Hope it can take the dosage n recover his consciousness.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • lautslauts April 2012
    Dimilin is not for flukes, argulus and bigger parasites visible to the naked eye yes. Its a shell (chitin) inhibitor. Prazi for flukes , best when added with MGF, Formalin Malachite Formulation. But prazi expensive also i don't trust supply is of good quality. Most sourced from China, original from Bayer is only via feed based Hadaclean. I think the best now is Flubendazol (trade name: Flubenol) by Janssen. Dosage: 1g to 400 lit. Arowana carries it at abt RM300+ for 600g or RM1 per gram , it is the cheapest and most effective for flukes and some internal parasite.

Feeding to much high protein over too long a period also causes gulping. Gulping due to different reasons will appear different. With flukes there will usually be some flashing.

ts
    Bro Weihan, Dimilin works well for Argulus and Anchorworm and other parasites that are large enough that are visible by the naked eye, and definitely would not work on Flukes. Syndel sells Handaclean (which has only 5% Prazi, so not really that effective to combat against Fluke in my opinion). Flukes are Termatodes and can be seen under the microscope.

Brudder Daniel, 6cc is a KILLER for Lincomycin. The dosage should not be more than 1.2cc or at max 1.5cc for large kois. How big is the fellow anyway? I believe you can get Prazi in KL but expensive. I have some but not for sale. Because of the sensitivity of who can provide Prazi, I can PM you if you are interested.
    Bro Shukri, Is my first time dealing with ulcer/fluke disease in my koi hobby due to many new purchase in the past few months. Sigh! The outbreak can be so far within a day or 2 and can be real scary if delay for treatment. She is just 41cm in length and didn't manage to make it due to over dosage. WARMING: DO NOT over dosage, check with other hobbyists on the dosage if you are not sure.

PM me pls.
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Bro Daniel,
    For a 41cm, 1cc is about max..........I inject a 1.2 cc for my 40cm plus pun pengsan for a good half hour, so be extra careful with Lincomycin.

By the way, did you check under the microscope to confirm whether flukes or otherwise?
    This is the only way........else you guessing sahaja!!!
    Bro Shukri, i don't have a microscope to check. Anyway, wild guess by looking at it! If it recover, it is confirmed. Sometime, a Dr also give his patient single type of antibiotic for flu/ cough / soar throat. If it's doesn't recover, a stronger antibiotic will be replaced. WARMING: do not over dose. :-))

Btw, all the fish recover well last check in the evening.
    Don't ask me why!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership