ANYONE USING O3 (臭氧) FOR THEIR FILTER?
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    Please give some commend on the function of O3 in filter, Thanks..
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Why would you want to have ozone in your filter? Ozone kills a lot of things.
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    The ozone kills all good bacteria.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • JamesJames June 2011
    I think the right amount of ozone is ok as at the same time of killing bacteria (good and bad), it also produces oxygen in the process. So the aerobic bacteria can thrive as they should reproduce quicker than they are killed. Every 20 minutes in the hour, ozone is pumped into my bio chamber. But I suspect my ozone quantum is not too high. In my old smaller pond it keeps the water clearer.

Also mine is placed near the pump chamber so it will pump into the pond killing all floating algae and oxidizes nitrite (NO2) too, producing 02 and NO3.
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    this is because some ppl told me that the ozone are able to kill all the bad bacterial , and bad bacterial maybe cause by all the bad things that stuck on the mats in the filter?
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    I think in a properly functioning pond system, the nitrites should be adequately taken care of by the biofilter and the floating algae will be dealt with by submersible UV lights. Water can be super clear without the need of ozone. So I'm not sure what role a potentially dangerous thing like Ozone would still have. It is a complicated topic and there have been numerous instances of either human or mechanical error leading to ozone killing all the fishes in the tank/pond.

I think in many systems where ozone is used, the ozone only exists in a separate self-contained system where pond water is pumped through. It should not contact the filter media. JMHO.
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    Thanks for James and PH8, my contractor actually recommended me to use sand filter with the combination of ozone, to prevent improper function of sand filter, this enable me to save out space for my fish too.. however, i dont feel like to take the risk as stated by PH8.. i shall think wisely before confirmation..
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    what do you all think about my self drawn filter for a 40 ton water?
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Wah, your filter design a bit strange. The mat chambers are very short (1.5feet?) but wide and deep. A simpler design would be to separate the entire top view square into 4 smaller squares, 1st chamber settlement - brushes/sieve. 2nd and 3rd chambers - J-mats, last chamber - pumps, UV lights and oyster shells.
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    okay, thanks ChengAun and PH8 for helping, will be adding bakki shower with momotaro BH in it..
    Wah, can afford momotaro bh?
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    erm according to Vincent shd be using 10% of bh to total water volume, which suppose to be 400kg .. if i use that amount i will be crazy @-) .. my standard not that high yet hahaha... maybe using up to 100kg of momotaro bh.. u know what, im trying the momotaro bh in one of my small pond, i use 10kg of bh with UV light only to treat 1000L water, and i got quite a good result~ :-D
    can use a mix of say 50kg BH and 60ltr of ogata crystal bio :)
  • weihanweihan July 2011
    Okay thanks~ :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership