My Protein Skimmer in Action!
  • poisonXvenompoisonXvenom June 2011
    <object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FE_iFrRR_dI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FE_iFrRR_dI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    -Danny
  • cookcpucookcpu June 2011
    Thank you for sharing the protein skimmer. You sure do have a lot of DOC in your pond. :)
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Thanks for sharing, Danny, and welcome to this forum. Do you have a diagram of the set up of your protein skimmer? Even a hand-drawn one will help us understand it better. Is it loosely based on the "Ethanator"?
    coockcpu,
    Yea... I redid my pond since I installed a bottom drain so my filtration didn't kick in at the time of the video.The water has stabilized now. ;-)
    -Danny
    Post edited by poisonXvenom at 2011-06-09 08:21:00 pm
    PH8,
    I will get back to you on the diagram. This isn't the same as the Ethanator, but uses the same concept. Water blasts onto the bio-balls in the barrels which then creates bubbles and foams by "fractioning" the water. The DOC's get carried along in these bubbles. The tricky part is getting rid of them. The water surface is set at the lowest opening of the discharge pipe. This allows the foam that has accumulated on the surface from the bio-balls outwatrds through the discharge pipe.
    -Danny
    Post edited by poisonXvenom at 2011-06-09 08:21:10 pm
  • k3nnyk3nny June 2011
    I believe that has been running for some time and is considered to be quite clean already? Previously mine had dark muck coming from it..

Anyway please do share more information about ur protein skimmer as I'm thinking of installing one for my pond too. :)
  • StevieStevie June 2011
    You dont get much foams without salting your pond. For it to work well add salts. If you do not intend to have salts in your pond you may have to reconsider getting one.
  • k3nnyk3nny June 2011
    Yeah I heard from my friend who is selling skimmers that they Work differently in fresh Water... Efficiency not that good unfortunately... =x

Anyway whats the salt level that u are referring to for skimmers to Work Well?
    That is true. Salt water helps create finer bubbles and thus helps foam build up. Similar to protein skimmers for reef tanks. However, I have no salt in my pond at all.
    -Danny
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Here is a link how to make foam fractioner, and U dont need salt in it to work.
    Also this one it does not need an air pump. Protein skimmer need air pump. Hope it helps.
    http://koi2day.com/forum/index.php?topic=3713.0
    If U need a link for protein skimmer let me know.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership