Results of 2010 Koi Spawn
  • poisonXvenompoisonXvenom June 2011
    After being introduced to the koi hobby 2 years ago, I gave breeding a try lastg spring... I had a very limited knowledge of breeding and just tried anyhow.

Here are the pictures of the koi fry that seemed somewhat appealing to me. Please understand, I'm still only a young grasshopper~:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/poisonXvenom/DSC07330.jpg
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/poisonXvenom/DSC07322.jpg
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/poisonXvenom/DSC07320.jpg
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/poisonXvenom/DSC07333.jpg
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/poisonXvenom/DSC07325.jpg
    -Danny
    Post edited by poisonXvenom at 2011-06-09 07:46:27 pm
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Not many people here have experience breeding koi due to the time and effort involved. So I'm not sure many can help...
    Haha, no worries. This was actually my first ever spawn. I just wanted to share the fruits of my labor. :-D With such an enclosed environment, breeding is quite labor intensive...
    -Danny
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Congrates! How big is the spawn? Natural or artificially bred?
    It was a natural spawn. After culling, I had about 100~200 nice ones.
    -Danny
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    I bred bettas before which can amount to 100-200 too and i already find it troublesome. Too many too which end up gave away most it. Guess you will be having bigger "headache" in time to come. :-D
    Actually, I have a separate fry pond, which is easily maintained since it is connected to my main pond. The headache came from rearing the fry to this size, haha
    -Danny
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Finding boon to feed the small fries can be a headache i guess if your neighborhood doesn't sell them. Unless you buy and cultivate bbs yourself. :)
    What is boon? I feed live brine shrimp and daphnia and then dry foods.
    -Danny
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Boon is an other name for daphnia. :-D
  • ashfaqashfaq June 2011
    Very nice try, is this what you separated after careful selection of fries???
    Can u pls elaborate more
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Wilgan'
    I am sure U are having lots of fun. Post pics of development please.
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Hi Yamato,

Think you got it wrong. poisonXvenom is the one breeding the kois while i only breed bettas before previously. :p
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Dont U have fun breeding Betas too???
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    It's fun seeing them grow. But can be tedious doing the daily shit sucking and water change. Since this is a koi forum, let's not go into bettas here ok. :-D
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    OK Darling but I did it ones and even made a video. I put my male in a small tank and in another tank the female.There was a distance between the tanks 10 cm . She jumped from her tank into his and chewed his tail in the process of proposing to him.
    She was a randy girl. very "knotty".
  • StevieStevie June 2011
    I did it many times for betas. Action usually in the evening when temperature is lower around 28 degree C. The whole process takes 1 to 2 hrs and to the next 5 - 6 hrs where the female was not attacked. The female also helped in the collection of the sinking eggs to the surface until the next day when the male started attacking the female where she would hide in one corner. Always try to choose a big size female though the adult male usually is larger than female. No need to feed the fry anything. Just leave the tank under the sun half shaded. The fry will feed on the algae.

Oop... got carried away. Here is about koi...
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Interesting!
    If you go on my youtube channel, I have videos of my bettas breeding. Anyways, I'll try to post development pics later on when I have the chance to catch them.
    -Danny
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Link please! I am not very net savvy! would love to see or maybe not for the fear of contracting a new highly infectious disease 8->
  • StevieStevie June 2011
    It is easy for beta. You just got to get the conditions right:

1. At least a 1 x 2 feets aquarium or container. Max 1 x 3 feets. Too large the male can't find the hidding female.
    2. A little acidic water ph 6.5. Best use rain water. Change 30% of water if nothing is happening.
    3. Lot of vegetation but not to the extend the fish can't move about. If they can't move they can't make love.
    4. No pump, no air bubble, no filter. Water has to be still. Absolutely no distrubing water.
    5. One male and one female for action. Not two female and one male because the male once see the un-ready (for mating) female it will chase and attack it instead of going after the ready female. How do you do it when someone else is around watching? Worst, it is going to eat your eggs/babies.
    6. Temp : below 28 degree C and below.
    7. Give them live food but not too much. Just make sure there are always a few (2 to 5) not eaten like red worm or tiny earth worm. Too many worms the fish might think that the environment is infected and their eggs/fry will not survive or be eaten. Instinct tells them.

Once above is ready put a clear glass divider seperate them. They will attract to each other. Remove the glass. When the male attacking the female the female is not ready. Seperate them again. Not to worry the female will not die from the attack but hide. Let the male attacks the female for an hour and if still attacking after an hour seperate them. Repeat..change water, adjust temperature and wait for another day, they will mate. Once the ritual is over where all eggs are lay remove the female otherwise soon the female will eat the eggs/fry and also be attacked by the male). Who say mother is the greatest? They eat you if you are a beta! They will embrace each other with curling up and eggs comes out from female and they will especially the male will do the picking of the eggs to the surface and at the same time making bubbles. The they will embarce again and the whole process repeats for hours.

Fry will emerge within 1-3 days and some swim away or drop/sink from the bubble nest and the male will pick the fly back to the nest. During this time the male hardly eat. Not to worry it will not eat its baby unless you remove him and then put him back. Just be sure you only have one worm at any one time for him. After all fry are free swiming remove the father. By the way, never remove the male too early, he has to pick up the eggs that keeps falling to the bottom. Without putting the eggs back to the bubble nest they egg will die. So never have too deep a tank. The trips up and down is too long. 10 inches water level is ideal.

Oops forgot again this is all about koi. Just for you Neli darling.
    Post edited by Stevie at 2011-06-19 07:38:12 am
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    I thought U call people U like darling. Why do U want to infect me with new terrible diseases?
    I feel I am staring it....
    I wish all diseases are so pleasant!
    Thanks!
    Dont U have to keep all males apart? At what age do U separate them and how many containers do U have to have to keep them????
    Must be thousands.
    Let's stop it with the betta talk now =D
    -Danny
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Jarring (seperation of males) starts from about 6-8 weeks of age. The females can be kept together as a community. Males can also be comm together if they are brought up as young together but may suffer some torn fins as males are much more aggressive in nature. Depending also on how many containers you have. :-D

Perhaps should open another thread at the "non koi topic" if this should go on... ;;)
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Darling,
    What is wrong with your male.
    Every time he just hugs the girl and colapses on the bottom. What kind of a man is he??
    He performed L3 for few seconds and babam down on the bottom. I can see the girl was not very happy.
    At list he is a good father!!! :bz =D>
    Yamato,

You should do a little research before saying anything wrong with my bettas. This is PERFECTLY NORMAL mating behavior. The female is temporarily paralyzed when contact occurs.
    -Danny
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Darling,
    cant U see I am teasing U... :-D
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Dont tell me U will tell a girl the same.... when u get paralyzed after few second of performance... He he he! (:| :-t [-O<
    lol.... :">
    -Danny

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership