Yamato's and yamato's pond and story.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    I hope U are not going to laugh toooooo much. Will maybe post in parts since the story is long.
    Part 1:
    I live in Zambia Lusaka. We dont have koi for sale here. I was bitten by the bug not so long ago.
    Actually I did 5 years veterinary worked for one year with cows, had enough and went to University to do engineering, later I did postgraduate and lectured at the university here. I have not told any one about the fact that I did veterinary medicine (to any one) because my practical experience with fish as a vet was very limited. Had to start /refresh and learn many new things.But I have experience in diseases and some other things. Now I know about ponds too from the perspective of an engineer and vet. But I tell U I had to learn it the hard way and pretend(did I really pretend?) that I know nothing in order to get all the assistance I needed. When I did my pond I new nothing about Koi as a hobby. I did it for decorative purposes mainly, and in order to put in few gold fish. Just did it on my own with my 5 gardeners with the assistance of my index finger(pointing and explaining to them what to do). He he he!
    I am in this house less than a year so my garden is still under construction.
    My pond is a total disaster if U consider it for Koi. But here are few pics:
    Part 2 to come tomorrow or tonight.
    Pic1 one Just about month old my pond and in this yard for about 4 month.
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3256/Resized%2007072010776.jpg
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-06-08 06:26:57 am
  • HandsomeHandsome June 2011
    :X Nice garden! More story & pic pls. Waiting. Hehe!

Alex
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Wow, Neli, your pond is absolutely huge, it looks like a park! The garden will, I imagine, be absolutely lovely when it matures. But how on earth do you net your koi when your pond is so big?
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    OK! Since U are handsome I will continue a bit:
    I am actually a singer here. U have not heard about me there, since I am not that famous, but here I am well known, and I am not sure U will like the kind of music I do.
    Some songs from my last album U will find on 4shared.com if U search for NeliZambia.
    Visitors!!! Will continue later.
  • DanleeDanlee June 2011
    Sis Neli,

Wow!!! very nice pond with beautiful landscape. How big is your pond?
  • hsleehslee June 2011
    wao, it looks more like a zoo if you put a tiger there.....
  • monscinemonscine June 2011
    Definitely I'll search for the song, and then enjoying it while seeing Neli's pond and her stories ahead. Interesting... =D>
  • tpsmaxwelltpsmaxwell June 2011
    GUCHI GUCHI, SHOW YOU LOVE ------
    Post edited by tpsmaxwell at 2011-06-08 09:59:09 am
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    How did U find this video? I never gave U the link. Now U will never take me seriously He he he!
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    FB sight:
    search by email:Neli stoyanova NNNNEEEELLLLIIII@yahoo.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Koi-and-pond-Club-Zambia/146822465388105
    Post edited by Yamato at 2011-06-08 10:09:48 am
  • ikankoikauikankoikau June 2011
    WOW!!! Neli, you have added colours into this forum :-D
    You are the first kichi I know in the whole world who is a lady, a vet, a pond builder, an engineer, a lecturer and a SINGER :O =D> Pls don't tell me you are actress too...or a designer.

How do you do all that? Don't know the meaning of the song but it's funky spooky cool sis.
    Btw, not sure if I did, I am sorry if I have addressed you as "bro" before.

Back to the subject.... nice pond sis. :-D
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Neli, originally Bulgarian?
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    You're the second woman kichi on this forum if i'm not mistaken =D> What a interesting kichi/singer/vet/pond builder/engneer/ lecturer!! :-D
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • SengChoonSengChoon June 2011
    Welcome Neli! It is indeed an honour to have a celebrity to grace our forum.

Wow! The size of your pond is something most of us wished for.
  • monscinemonscine June 2011
    "Waka...waka...This time for Africa" said Shakira :X
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Thanks My Dearest friends.U are all sweet.But I can assure U I am no shakira.
    Part 2.
    U see We dont have Koikichi here, and U know how important it is for Us to talk Koi.
    No one to talk Koi with here. So this is number 4 forum I am joining just to make friends and chat about Koi.
    If U look at picture number 6 from the top U will see my water fall in the background . And in front bottom/left some sand. Can U imagine that that was my filter, made like a under gravel filter for a aquarium. I did not know anything about filtration for ponds, so I put about 50cm of large stones over the pump inlet,40cm layer of crushed stones over that, and very large 3-7mm sand over that. this was there till April, when I went to a forum and found out about filtration. But I never had sick fish ,algae or cloudy water.
    My first 2 fish I got from somewhere and thought they were gold fish, just to realize later that they were Koi. The day I put them in the pond with some gold fish they spawned.
    So I isolated them and fed them with hard boiled egg, till I grew about 100 of them. I gave away most of them, and remained with 20. Soon I realized that my Koi were very ugly. So since I was invited to the show in RSA I decided to travel and buy some Koi filtration and equipment too.I had lots of Koi lovers/experts to help me and take me around, but being the hard headed woman that I am, decided to chose my self, since I did not want to miss on that pleasure. Now according to the stipulations of my permit I could buy only from one place. And at that place after the show not much show quality fish was left. So I bought 32 Koi , none of them show quality, but pleasant and airfreighted them to Zambia.
    When I arrived home the fish was 14 hrs in the packets and it was 01:00 hrs. The place where the fish was to be collected (Cargo) was closed and lucky for me I allerted my clearing agent who had them there at mid night waiting for me to arrive and get my fish.
    Some time it is good to be a celeb.
    So on arrival I discovered that my workers decided that Madam never comes back when she says she will come back, and decided not to fill the 2 QT with water, since they wanted it to be fresh. I had to fill QT all night....
    I can not buy here any thing for Koi.

Part 3 to come later.

Answers to your questions:

Admin PH8 ,
    some time it is hard to find them and U are talking about netting. So far I had to drain the pond to remove them, but with 5 gardeners, and a net hopefully I will manage in future.
    Yes I am Bulgarian.

Danlee I have no idea how big my pond is in terms of liters. But I bought a salinity tester an electronic one, calibrated it and will use it to measure my volume. But my pond is shallow.
    wishing for a pond like.

hslee I think I have a zoo at home: 2 parrots and 3 dogs. He he he!
    Thanks to all of U for the kind comments.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    I will post pics of my Koi when I shift them to the main pond, but for now here are some for U since I know U like pics.Remember I have no where to show my fish, and I am a girl. So I like girly fish.I know how a show quality fish should look, but for now it was not important. Round two I will buy nicer Koi.
    He is the biggest Koi I could fiind there...
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3273/21052011186.jpg
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-06-08 10:06:40 pm
  • ShukriShukri June 2011
    UCHI KUCHI.......this will be the name of my next KOHAKU purchase.....hehehehehe! :bz
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • nocturnalnocturnal June 2011
    Buy From Dainichi Abang Shukri, can ask them write it on the cert!! ;-) :-D
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Shukri,
    Dont call it Uchi kuchi! It might jump out Darling.
    I need to see how long is the flight from ???? before I order koi, and how much is the transport.
  • ShukriShukri June 2011
    Neli,
    Hahahaha! I like the song........very catchy arrr! :)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2011-06-09 12:21:47 pm
  • ShukriShukri June 2011
    Abang Adik,
    You really make my day........ :-)) =D> (mooning)
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    I have a studio at home. I did The instrumental my self. It is not african at all. I think it has Indian influence. But they liked it.
    I used to compose/produce for other people. Then one day I was very hurt (found that my hubby cheated on me),The same moment I threw him out of the house and did my first song called Nenzekukonda. It was a hit. So I did few more.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    How can I buy from Dainichi??? How can it be aranged and any example of transport charges and Koi prices? Sounds interesting.
    I started a Koi club here. The first one. I am trying to help people. No one knows here any thing about koi or pond building.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Yesterday I put 2 kamikaze koi in the pond. And made some pics of them. In the after noon I could not find them. Thought they jumped out. They are sooo terribly ugly. and one of them was sent by mistake. I can not expect much from them, but I think for educational purposes they are perfect.
    I want U to comment /Predict how they will develop. So we can do before and after pictures and we all learn from them, what not to buy and what to expect.
    I want U to explain also why the shiro has reticulated pattern on the scales and what it means. Here they are.

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3277/SAM_0621.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3278/SAM_0596.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3279/SAM_0646.jpg
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-06-09 07:09:45 pm
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Neli, how many koi do you intend to put into this pond? Are these 2 koi the first 2 koi to be put into this new pond? If so, have you heard of New Pond Syndrome? NPS is something that affects all new ponds when fish are introduced, because the bacteria colonies have yet to be established. If not properly handled, the fish can die.

You would need to know the exact size of your pond in terms of tons of water, so that medication can be applied in the correct dosages. Underdosing will have no effect, worse still perhaps the bacteria can form an immunity against the medication. Overdosing could be dangerous for the koi. One of the ways to determine the exact tonnage is by salting the pond, but you would need a digital salt meter for that.
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Neli, I think the shiro (black & white) koi will develop very beautifully. It is not finished now as the black (we call sumi) is still not emerged, but it will over time and when it does, you will have a beautiful shiro. Show koi pattern too, IMHO. If I saw this swimming at any dealer, I would buy it straight away.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/3280/Hopeful.jpg

The other (Tancho Showa) can't see too clearly the markings so can't comment except it has a good maruten (round red pattern on head) indicative of a superb tancho showa in the near future.
    Attachments
    Hopeful.jpg 111K
  • ikankoikauikankoikau June 2011
    It's a good Tancho Showa Neli. Could be female. Very good big round maruten. But it is very thin. You need to feed her with colour food asap as once the hi on the head disappear, it will never comes back.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Darling Admin,
    U dont read my posts to the end, do U? I already said, Darling that I bought digital salt meter and calibrated it, and plan to use it to measure the volume of my pond.
    I am sending U a picture of it now.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3281/Resized 09062011687.jpg

James Darling if that shiro was not tempered with, it was going to make me sick. It look so nice. But it seems someone enhanced it.
    Admin, Thanks for all the advise. I will monitor daily all parameters and daily water changes. I have a bore hole. I had aquariums so that much I know.
    Jimmy dont U think my shiro is very ugly and it should have had much better black by now. Some one tell me for sure if there is any hope for my shiro, or it is a lost cause.
    Dont be gentlemen. Be honest. I already know U are

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/3256/Resized%2007072010776.jpg

I have just realised that that is my shiro.
    Are U sure it will look similar?
    Post edited by AndySitt at 2011-06-10 06:57:33 am
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Sis Neli, give the shiro some time. The black will emerge later. The koi is still young at below 20cm. and will improve as it grows. I am confident it will turn out well.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    If I feed "her" with color enhancing food, and it stays for some time the tancho, does it mean it will stay for ever. I think the maruten will not last for long, no matter what I feed her. It looks weak. I did not buy that koi. It came by accident in my box.
  • DanleeDanlee June 2011
    Sis Neli,

Give the koi some time. "She" is still very young and the tancho colour may still thicken. Feeding colour enhancing food will help but you need to watch out for any secondary hi appearing on the body which will spoil the beauty of this Tancho Showa.
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Sis Neli, my point of view is that as long as the maruten is big on a small koi, it should b quite safe. It will over time improve and thicken. How well it thickens will be your skill and the genetics.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Jimmy, how long does it take for the sumi to emerge.
    My Koi are all in the pond now::
    It is just that I dont know how to take pics and reduce them without loosing quality

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3291/09062011682%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3292/09062011679%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3293/09062011684%20-%20Copy.jpg
    Post edited by AndySitt at 2011-06-10 05:39:56 pm
  • ShukriShukri June 2011
    Neli, that's a nice koi pond that you have. The landscape is real nice......jive very well with Queen Neli.......... :)
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Shukry my darling
    nkosi ama kosi (King of Kings)
    I have 2 more tanchos. He he he! I am a girl. I like girly fish.
    I just dont know how to take pictures, and it see
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    some more pics.
    Jimmy,
    Since skills are needed, and I dont have them, then it is safe to conclude it will never thicken. He he he!
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Sis Neli, I am sure it will thicken. I had a tancho showa with the same big round thin beni and it eventually thickened. Tancho showas are very different from tanchos. You almost never get a small koi that has a thick maruten. Well, not any that I've seen anyways.
  • st8800st8800 June 2011
    Sis Neli

Welcome and good day. Your pond looks nice with landscape and everything. Couple of things to note, the depth seems a tad bit shallow and not much shading. You could have temperature issues and sunburnt koi in the future... especially with the African sun.

U can consider putting sail shades. Check with Bro Paul, he has them on his pond too.
    Best
    Spencer
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Spencer,
    Thanks for the advise.
    My pond is not a tad shallow. most of it is shallow. I thought about shade, and U are very right.
    I noticed them hiding under some shade (not much) that moves around with the sun.
    Temperature issues I dont think I will have much. We have very hi altitude above sea level (1700m).
    Not much temperature fluctuations here during winter summer. I n Europe during summer is much hotter than here. And I am building a bakki which I hope will also cool the water.
    I have planted some trees around for shade, hope they will grow fast. But putting sails in the garden ???? I think it will be very hard considering the shape of my pond.
    Maybe I put somewhere (one place only so they go there if sun is too much for them.
    But I have some areas that are 1.6 m deep. (very few)

• YamatoYamato June 2011
    Jimmy , then that is good news if it happens. I will be posting pictures.
  • essyessy July 2013
    Hey there sis Neli, Ive been trying to get a copy of your song nenzekukonda. Any way I could get it? I love it!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership