• JoshuaChinJoshuaChin May 2011
    Just want to share my experience with dropsy. 3 days ago i discover 1 of my Kohaku having dropsy, the scale near pectoral fin all went out (both side). Uncle Zain once told me CifloFlaxin can cure dropsy (early stage). Called up Uncle Zain to courier some here but he told me by the time the medicine reach here the fish might be gone. Feeling so upset n helpless so i decide to " bok" nasib, put the koi to qt with 0.5% salt, yellow powder and OTC and feeding it with food soak with OTC mixture. I've been feeding it for 2 days, now the scale all went in already. :-D Some says dropsy cause by poor water quality some says kidney malfunction and even more.....Any bro or sifu can share some info so we can learn more? and also for those who (bro/sifu) manage the cure your koi from dropsy pls kindly share your experience and how you guys do it.
    Post edited by JoshuaChin at 2011-05-29 06:56:22 pm
  • PH8PH8 May 2011
    Bro Joshua, since nobody else has stepped forward yet, let me try to help. From what I understand, dropsy is not a disease but a symptom/condition, normally shown by bloated tummies and pineconing of scales. The actual cause can vary, but is typically failure of one of the koi organs, quite commonly the kidney, but could also be caused by things like gut obstruction/restriction/infection, which resulted fluid imbalance/osmotic irregularities. Depending on what the actual cause is, sometimes it is treatable, sometimes it isn't. If it is due to cancer/tumour, obviously there is little we can do. But more commonly, it is the result of internal bacterial infection.

In almost all cases of extreme dropsy, it is quite impossible to save the fish. But if the dropsy condition is detected early enough (pineconing only very slight), a series of antibiotic injections may be able to cure the fish (again depending on what the actual cause of the dropsy was). Salting the water will also help to reduce the osmotic imbalances that the fish is facing.

One of my kois had a mild dropsy case (which I documented on the old Malaysian forum) about 2 years ago which I managed to detect early and solved through antibiotic injections. I feel that dropsy cases stem from water with high levels of coliform (bad bacteria). A dealer called to ask about dropsy yesterday also, coincidentally, and asked if it is infectious. Well, indirectly, the answer is yes. Because the high coliform level is in the same water, it can affect other fish. Added to that is the fact that the internal bacterial infection has already gone systemic in one fish, the multiplication of harmful bacteria will be really fast indeed. So isolating the affected fish in a hospital tank for treatment, and treating the pond water will be very logical steps to take.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by PH8 at 2011-05-30 05:59:34 am
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin May 2011
    Bro Paul, thx for your input :)
  • JamesJames May 2011
    Bro Paul, what treatment should be done on the pond water?
  • PH8PH8 June 2011
    Bro James, maybe this would be contentious to some, but the method I would use are 3 consecutive days dosing Max's Biotope at 5ml/ton. Others may use different ways (yellow powder/OTC etc) but I have not used these before.

For normal maintenance control of coliform levels, 1 dose every 2 weeks is normally sufficient. But in the case of koi getting dropsy, the coliform level in the water must be pretty high, therefore necessitating 3 consecutive days of dosage. The affected koi still has to be treated in hospital tank though.
  • AnuarAnuar September 2011
    Just wish to share that 8 days ago I discovered one of my tosais was infected with dropsy - based on the appearance, i.e. bloated body, raised scale and ulcers on the tummy, I estimated that it has passed the early stage.

One of the possibilities of the cause of this is due to a power trip to my pond (estimated about 4-5 hours - which occurred about 2-3 days before discovery of the dropsy case), which I immediately re-started the pump upon discovery. What I should have done (as recommended in this forum) was to flush out the filter chambers first due to the possibility of dead and decaying good bacteria and spreading of anaerobic bacteria. I suspected that the bad bacteria must have multiplied as the water turned cloudy (coupled with my slight overfeeding since I quarantined the whole pond for 2 weeks due to the last show).

I did not put my hope so high as this was my third dropsy case of which the previous ones were unsuccessful. Anyway, here's what I did:

Day 1 (upon discovery) - Isolated the koi into my hospital tank, filled with 100% fresh dechlorinated water. Thereafter I injected with 1ml of lincomycin on the stomach cavity.
    I also medicated the tank with overdosage (extra 50%) of Blagdon Anti-Ulcer.

Day 2 - Second injection of 0.5 ml of lincomycin (this was my last drop of antibiotic, hence the rather odd volume - and only 2 dosages as opposed to the recommended 3). No improvement at all until day 4.

Day 4 - Added the second dosage (another 50% extra) of Anti-ulcer (no change of water in between).

On day 7, I had a pleasant surprise when I saw the koi fully recovered (at least based on physical appearance). I immediately changed 50% of water and salted to about 0.2.

Anyway, this is just for sharing and an alternative to what Bro Joshua has done successfully.

Regards.

• ShukriShukri September 2011
    Bro Anuar, a good tactical response from you this time. Good job bro! The lincomycin and the Blagdon Ulcer treatment did the job for you. \:D/ =D>
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • AnuarAnuar September 2011
    Thank you Bro. Just wish to share. I once thought dropsy is gone case...
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    When dropsy, it is touch and go.......only very few will survive after treatment when the scales are already raised. You are lucky bro........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership