Why koi swimming with side of body facing up ?
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    One of my tosai koi swimming with side of body facing up ? Is it sick ? :-(
    Post edited by Chico at 2011-05-20 06:17:59 pm
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Aiyo Mabel, You seem to have a lot of problem with your FGT and your koi. Your tank/pond could be badly infected. There are few things/options you can do.

1. Do nothing. Leave everything as it is and wait for your pond to mature. If your koi has to die it has to die. The fittest will survive with their own antibodies eliminating all the bad bacteria in the pond so as to make your pond free of all the bad bac. Meanwhile do not introduce any new fish either koi or any other type of fish. But if all your koi died then buy one hardy fish like tilapia to aid your pond to maturity. After some 1 or 2 months and if the survival or tilapia continue to live then buy new koi. Your pond is on the way to maturity and you can steam the tilapia.

2. Start a new. Take out all your fish (don't know where you are going to keep them, they are disease fish), buy chlorine from swimming pool supplier pour into your pond. Let's the pump runing for 2 days. That will kill all the bac and all organism in your pond. Make sure all filter media are submerged in the water. Drain all the water start a new. But I do not know what to do with your old koi. If you reintroduce them to the "new"/sterilised pond your problem will recur. But if you give away you are taking your problem to others unless they have Q tank. Or leave it in their QT and take back after a month. You can also release them into lake or river or mining pool. You can feed them to your cat? Waste not!

3. Medication. You can try put all sort of medication or jab your koi with antibiotic. Pls note antibiotic good only on bacteria but has no effect on viruses and less effect on fugus or parasites. Even if you treated them with the correct medication they might not survive because it could be the water quality/environment problem. This trial and error is tedious. I will not advise you to opt for this becasue at the end of the day you could be tired and giveup on koi keeping. Then we lose one buddy.

My piroirity is above 1, 2 and 3.
    Post edited by Stevie at 2011-05-20 07:48:23 pm
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie.
    Thanks for all the advises.
    Mabel
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    You are most welcome, Mabel. Many face similar issues from time to time especially when we are not careful or try something new. There was once I had a near mass extinction when my one and only pump broke down and it took me more than a month to claim for warranty/replacement. Sometimes a simple change of water without proper anti-chlorination causes much troble. What happen next is not the koi dying because of the chlorinated tap water but the bacteria, followed by algae then fish get sick becaue the system is upside down. Never change too much water at one go. Use carbon filter to remove chlorine is a safer bet, I learned and still learning.
    Post edited by Stevie at 2011-05-20 11:18:13 pm
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie.
    Thank you for all useful information. Learn from mistakes.
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie.
    I think my koi get sick after I change the water. May be I have changed too much water.
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi , Stevie.

May I know where did you install the carbon filter ?

Btw, I have lost the koi. Did not manage to save him.
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Hi Mabel,

Sorry to hear that. Look forward and the next koi you buy/replace will be a fortunate one with plenty of "correct" care and food.

You can make a "T" joint from your water pipe and connect the new pipe to the inlet housing of the filter and the filter outlet with a stop valve (tap) or a float. Or the stop valve before the housing and connect the outlet to a hose. See pix

The housing cost RM10 to RM30. The carbon filter cartridge cost RM5 to RM10 a piece. Can last you many-many water changes. The volume of water it can filter is written on the cartridge.www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2851/carbon filter connection.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2850/activated carbon filter.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2849/filter hosing.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2849/filter hosing.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2850/activated carbon filter.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2851/carbon filter connection.jpg
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Aiyah, dont know how to insert the images la.
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie.
    Its okay. I can imagine what you are trying to show me here.
    Thanks. :)
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Thanks ChengAun
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    ChengAun,
    Thanks for helping out with the pictures.
    :)
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011
    Hi Mabel, No prob with uploading the pics. very easy.
    anyways, perhaps you should show us your pond design/filtration then the sifu's can help you improve your system :)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, ChengAun.
    Haha...not much to show about my pond systems as it is an old pvc tank which I have used for many years and also I am not thinking to invest much at this moment. Jus recently bought a new FGT filter box, that's all. Think it's most likely because my pond is exposed to rain which can cause lots of problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    then maybe a FGT filter box may not be sufficient. Perhaps you should DIY a bakki shower.
    For the bakki shower here are a few ideas..
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2867/bakki.jpg

My Own
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2868/Bakki%20Shower%201.jpg

JoshuaChin's
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/905/IMAG0210.jpg
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, ChengAun.
    Thanks for sharing the bakki shower photos. Will look into this system.
    Mabel
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Wow ChengAun, you use chicken baskets???

And the other flower pots amazingly with bricks. Stable kah? Look like not steady can fall down! I prefer the 3rd one.
    1st one not mine. the brick i also thought but its been holding for the past five months.
    3rd one is stable and strong but not much air introduction and degassing
  • lautslauts May 2011
    Guys,

For safer dechlorination use antichlorine sold for aquarium purpose, these are dirt cheap and safe. Don't rely on carbon block filters for these reasons:

a) They will lose effectiveness fast, most of us don't test for chlorine , you don't want to find out the hard way. Kois are many times more expensive the antichlorine.
    b) The chlor. dose added to our tap water is not consistent , if you read the papers recently , note that ranges from 2ppm to 5ppm or higher as claimed by an expert. The flow rate thro the carbon block could mean some chlorine not absorbed and goes to pond.

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership