Koi Body Bent!
  • JSCJSC July 2014
    Hi Sifu,

Lately, a few of my kois show bulge at one side of the body and resulting in a Bent body. I do not think is internal infection as the kois looks and eats normal.

Any comment and remedy from all the SIfu on how I could help or prevent other Kois from developing the same problem?

I attached a movie showing one of my Sanke which is bent!

http://youtu.be/GhhGgYd42lA

Thank you in advance for your advise!!
  • HDCuHDCu July 2014
    Bent body can be caused by the following:
    1. Malnutrition or lack of calcium
    2. Over feeding of hiprotein food or poor food ingredients
    3. Internal organ problem
    4. Electricity entering pond from lightning strike nearby
    5. Tumor
    6. The wrong application of some antiparasite medicines.
    7. Effects of spawning sometimes
    8. Spinal injury cause by mishandling
    9. Bad skeletal genetics to begin with.
    10. Old age or premature aging
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-07-14 04:13:08 pm
  • JSCJSC July 2014
    Hi Sidu HDCu,
    Thanks for the info. I have been feeding Saki Hikari High Growth. Hence, that may be a reason. Further, I also have high nitrate 150ppm and I suspect that may be a reason too. Poisoning and muscle spasms due to high nitrate?
  • HDCuHDCu July 2014
    Bro JSC,

High nitrate is not necessarily the culprit however it could be a sign of high organic loads causing toxins in the water unable to flush out well in the koi system which impairs some nutrients to be absorb. I have observed that if water quality is excellent just small quantity of high quality feed(hi growth food not necessarily high protein. Depends on the brand) is needed with very good dissolved oxygen is needed to give good body to koi.

• JSCJSC July 2014
    Hi Sifu HDCu,

My pond has high nitrate and protein (Dissolved Organic) and it may be the reason for my bent kois. I have 3 kois bent out of the 10 kois I have. Any suggestion for curing the bent body? I think it is rather permanent. The local farm suggest to put the bent kois at their 30 tons pond to allow them to exercise and hopefully will recover.

I am getting a protein skimmer to resolve my high nitrate and protein issues. Hopefully, the rest of my kois will not be affected.

On the other hand, my Shiro (Sansai) and Tancho (Nisai) suddently has many secondary Hi over the white body. Could this be due to stresss and the same high protein/nitrate issues?

Thanks.

• HDCuHDCu July 2014
    Bro JSC,

It is highly doubtful for a bent body like the one you showed to return back. Adding muscle and fat can somewhat conceal but no assurance. Personally I would just trade in the koi for new one instead of paying for pond rental.

I suggest you check your PH levels. Low Ph and low alkalinity along with high DOC along with feeding color food will cause sometimes lots of secondary Hi IMO. What I usually do when I see signs of secondary hi coming out I stop feeding for a day or two and continue 24/7 water change of 5% a day of water with 7.4ph. Shiroji becomes clearer and signs of secondary hi disappears quite easily. I then reduce the dosage of the color feed in the feed mix.
  • JSCJSC July 2014
    Hi Sifu HDcu,

My pond parameters are:
    PH=8.1
    Salt=1.1ppm
    Ammonia=0
    Nitrite=0
    Nitrate=150ppm

I only feed Saki-Hikari Growth twice a day (2-cups) and kois usually finished within 10mins.

I have been doing 10-20% water change weekly for the last 2 months. Further, I reduce my stocks to only 7 kois (approx 65cm).

Any problem with my ponds parameters that you can see?

Thanks.

• HDCuHDCu July 2014
    Bro JSC,

What is the size of the pond and the size of the filters. What is the reading 30 mins after feeding?

How is that your PH is that high? What is the ph and nitrate level of your source water?And how did you measure salt levels? Are you using salinity meter?
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-07-15 04:13:18 pm
  • JSCJSC July 2014
    Hi Sifu HDCu,

My pond is about 10tons including the filter. The pond volume for the koi is actually 7 tons.
    My PH is 8.1. Nitrate is not high the last time I check the source. I measure the Salt and PH using digital meter.

Thanks.
  • HDCuHDCu July 2014
    Bro JSC,

If you have persistent high nitrate issue while your source water has very low nitrate then you have to check where you nitrate issues are coming from:
    1. If you stop feeding for 3 days and continue to do water change of 10% a day, what will be your nitrate levels? If it does not drop then you have to check your filters where high organic load may be manufacturing already excess nitrates. Cleaning the filter and adding good heterotropic bacteria will help restore equilibrium. If you can increase aeration in the filter and the pond it will help improve thr shiroji and shine of your koi.

Hope short term suggestion helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership