Grow Jumbo Kois In Small Pond And Win Major Prizes In Show
  • ythyth June 2014
    Is that possible?:) well with good genetics and good maintenance it is definitely possible. I have 17 kois in my pond 18
    tons pond with 14 pcs from 75cm to 1 m above, and the major prizes that I won before are as below:-
    (i)Jumbo A
    (ii)Jumbo B
    (iii)GC B
    (iv) GCA ???? when? maybe not good enough yet :)
    Most of my kois grow from 60 plus cm
    Post edited by yth at 2014-06-05 06:20:12 pm
  • ythyth June 2014
    Currently 87 cm and grew from 72cm 3 years ago
  • ythyth June 2014
    Came in pond same time with the big sanke at 80 cm and now 100cm
  • ythyth June 2014
    Make it top 5 at recent ZNA show at 80 cm....came in at 70cm year ago
  • ythyth June 2014
    Some other collections
  • ythyth June 2014
    Some more collections
  • ythyth June 2014
    more to come :)
  • ythyth June 2014
    75cm kohaku,76cm showa
  • ShukriShukri June 2014
    (Y) (Y) (Y)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-06-06 12:01:40 am
  • ikankoikauikankoikau June 2014
    Congrats bro (Y)
  • niveknivek June 2014
    Wah so many jumbos (Y)
  • HDCuHDCu June 2014
    Excellent Koi keeping skills!

Any of the above raised from tosai perhaps and cost US $700 below?
  • puathiantatpuathiantat June 2014
    (Y)
  • frostbitezfrostbitez June 2014
    bro yth
    are you accepting disciples? i'm gonna enlist if you do hahaha :-D
    wow...never heard before person doing that (18t include filtration or just pond only?)
    would you mind giving us info about your pond system?
    thx
    han
    Post edited by frostbitez at 2014-06-06 09:54:58 am
  • ythyth June 2014
    Thanks all,no luck in tosai even Nisai :)..mostly sansai and quite costly:) but better success rate,disciple?haha not that expert yet..,well I trust in genetics and maintenance and dedication :)..,few local dealers amazed and said I created some miracles :)...no special for my pond...it is 1.8m(w) x 6m(l) x 1.5m(d)...pond 18 tons and had been leaking for 2 years ..,all these will go in my new 100 ton pond in few months time And 90cm is my milestone...
  • HDCuHDCu June 2014
    Yes one better way of reaching jumbo is purchasing expensive proven sansai. A hobbyist friend also recommends getting sansai instead.
    100 tons! Your beauties will thank you for that extra space.
  • ythyth June 2014
    I culled at least 20 pcs 500k yen Nisai before :)
    Post edited by yth at 2014-06-06 11:08:38 am
  • TomyCTomyC June 2014
    18 tons isn't that small. More than 1 ton per koi too.

Also, I argue that your leaking pond probably is constantly topped up with water, which contributes to a high 24/7 water change that is good for koi growth.
  • ythyth June 2014
    Haha...tomyc 1ton for 80cm koi is super crowded....too much top up water is not good for beni :)....I still believe in genetics :)
  • HDCuHDCu June 2014
    I agree that too much water change is not good for beni. I reckon maximum of 5% a day works out just fine but if one can go 2% better. However at just 2% stocking level needs to be low already.
  • TomyCTomyC June 2014
    Why is water change no good for beni?
  • frostbitezfrostbitez June 2014
    my pond now are roughly 15t include fltration...always think it was hard to grow jumbos in this particularly small pond until now
    if you dont mind sharing us about filration and maintenance you doing so far sifu?
  • ythyth June 2014
    I found that daily water change not that good and twice better :)anyway it works for me :)...one thing I totally flushed out my filter weekly,refresh powder weekly and high quality food :)
  • wyinwyin June 2014
    Hi YTH,

You have certainly inspired many with GCs in small pond. Care to share type of food and how much food you feed per day? How often do you feed?

WY
  • ythyth June 2014
    Haha.....fd mix with Sakai wheatgerm 50/50...twice a day..before show 3 times...I think for small pond is not enough room for them to bulk..lengthwise still can be achieved :)
  • wyinwyin June 2014
    Thanks. What about the amount of food you feed per day?
  • HDCuHDCu June 2014
    @tomyC,

Maybe a new thread with regards to effect of water change to beni is in order so that more can share.
  • TomyCTomyC June 2014
    <blockquote rel="HDCu">@tomyC,

Maybe a new thread with regards to effect of water change to beni is in order so that more can share.</blockquote>
    I think so. It's the first time I've learnt about the observation. Perhaps as a well-respected member you would like to start the thread with your thoughts.
  • JamesJames June 2014
    I do not agree too much water change not good for beni... :-D No videos to proof though. :-q
  • ythyth June 2014
    haha....well as I said it works for me but not confirm yet :),8 months ago I installed a VG7 hydrogen water....I decreased the water change frequency...the beni, sumi improved.....don't know which factor contribute for this.....I did shared my observation with a reputable local dealer here and he found the same...if I disclosed the local dealer name, i think no one dare to challenge his observation :)......james, what video you need?:)
  • ythyth June 2014
    I feed about 200/300 grams each meal
  • TomyCTomyC June 2014
    <blockquote rel="yth">haha....well as I said it works for me but not confirm yet :),8 months ago I installed a VG7 hydrogen water....I decreased the water change frequency...the beni, sumi improved.....don't know which factor contribute for this.....I did shared my observation with a reputable local dealer here and he found the same...if I disclosed the local dealer name, i think no one dare to challenge his observation :)......james, what video you need?:)</blockquote>
    It's not about challenging the observation. It's about finding the reason behind it. For example, one can say that he or she changes 10% of water everyday, and the koi grew a lot. We accept that, but we also need to understand why it's so. Water changes help koi grow because fish emits hormones into the environment that limits their growth. http://sacramentokoi.com/water-changes/

So we are just trying to understand why some people say water change is not good for beni. Why?
  • ythyth June 2014
    Haha...can't explain and maybe some real sifu can chip in to explain..anyway there are a lot of factors for this :)...sometimes the quality of the kois count :)
  • MfwleeMfwlee June 2014
    I for one would also like to understand this. There are many who prescribe regular water changes to support the health of our Koi, but are we actually also causing their colors to deteriorate when we do so ?

Any real sifu comments ? :-(
    Mike Lee
  • abunuhaabunuha June 2014
    Can you share your pond & filteration pictures?
  • ShukriShukri June 2014
    I can relate to those times when I was keeping the Discus fishes. I change 90% of the water daily. What this did was that the fishes are a lot hungrier and were significantly bigger to those that were in the aquarium that I didnt change much water.

When my koi pond was 5 ton, I had to change a lot of water frequently as the filtration could not cope with the bio load. The kois tend to thrive better with the frequent water changes........... This was a long time ago, and I cant remember whether the Beni was affected then...........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-06-06 08:22:13 pm
  • JamesJames June 2014
    Bro Yap, I mean I have no video evidence of huge water change not affecting beni because I dun bowl my kois much. Not that I am asking u for video evidence.
  • ythyth June 2014
    Hahaha ok ok.....ya...back to filter capacity..as long as filter capacity can cope..frequency of water change can be decreased :)
  • smokersmoker June 2014
    Bro Yap,

wow, what will happen when they go to your new 100 ton ponds i just never know hahahaha.
    Create Godzilla maybe ? :-))
    Keep updating bro (Y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership