Medicating with salt (NaCl)
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    For those that love to use salt to medicate.
    I have been experimenting with salt quite a bit. Whenever I introduce new kois (after they have quarantined) into my pond, I will observe these kois and existing kois closely. No matter how we quarantine the new kois, there is still a risk that the existing kois could get infected. I know that the situation happened to many of us before, which sometimes gave us sleepless nights. With the first sign that something is not right i.e. kois flashing or gulping, I will increased the salt content to between 0.5 to 0.6%. At this level, it seemed to work for me that stopped flashing or gulping with almost immediate effect. Strange but true. Let it soaked for 5 to 7 days, water change and proceed with your normal set up and routine. To keep this salt level for too long a time is definitely not recommended as there could be side effects. For maintenance, 0.3% salt is OK. I was told that SAKAI farm does this continuously especially during long periods of heavy feeding.

I hope this is beneficial news to those salt lovers.

Regards,
    Shukri
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-08 01:35:06 pm
  • JamesJames October 2010
    Sakai does what continuously? Salt at 0.3% or salt for 5 - 7 days at 0.5%??
    I was told all year round, the pond water at 0.3% salt........at Sakai Farm.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    doesn't that cause the parasite to be stronger??
    james,
    Based on logic the answer is a 'Yes.' As for me, I will vary the salt content from time to time so that the parasites and the bacteria will always have to keep guessing thus they will not be able to have a foot hole in my pond....
    Shukri,

Will you be surprised if i told u i notice my koi are at their best when salt was zero....and since i started salting, they flash, and act in lots of funny manners...
    James,
    Nope, I am not surprise at all since your kois are not used to higher dosage of salt......if I can help it, I too would want zero salt level in my pond......but without salt, the bacteria and parasites create havoc in my pond.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership