What to look for when buying an ASAGI Tosai
  • ShukriShukri April 2014
    Hopefully everyone can share their good and bad experiences on the matter....
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • WilganWilgan April 2014
    I think a clear clean head is important. Some people will choose those without any beni as it will likely to emerge more over time and will overly cover the koi as it grows bigger. I think depends on what you want too. To buy show ready for competition now or for future that plays a part in the decision making too. :-D
  • megatronmegatron April 2014
    For a tosai, I will go for blue head which is a sight of clean head in future. All the fins must have beni. When you flip over the fish, you must be able to see yellow/orange with fair bit of beni at the bottom/base. Even blue netting on the scales are important. Ultimately, is your growing skill. For me, no color food during tosai. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • niveknivek April 2014
    Great tips from the sifus~! Many thanks (Y)
    (Y) (Y) (Y)....... keep rolling guys......... I know there are more to it........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • niveknivek April 2014
    Adding photo to make it easier to visualize what you sifus are saying. CnC on this piece please :)

koianswers.com/discussion/download/15598/asagi.jpg
    Attachments
    asagi.jpg 7K
    Kevin,
    What is the size? And gender?
    In my experience, the onces that the Beni come out early are the males.......

In the example, the Matsuba scalation is nice..........like an even netting.
    I cant say whether the head is truly clean, which is a 'must' for quality Asagis.
  • niveknivek April 2014
    Sifu Shukri - Its about 20cm and unsure about the gender. 2 weeks after entering my pond, the beni increased dramatically and I wasn't even feeding color food lol.
    Post edited by nivek at 2014-04-29 10:27:24 pm
    Nivek,
    Do you have the latest photo............
    My Asagi, I bought it at below 20cm, now it is about 60cm. The Beni is about to emerge here and there. I have not bowled the Asagi since I put it into the pond about a year plus ago (I think! Could be longer.....). I suspect that this is a female Asagi, can only be sure after I have checked the vent. The netting is kind of evenly spread, and the head is clean............ I will share a picture soon.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Anyone have a nice Asagi to share?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership