repeated dose of Kenkona
  • hkl84hkl84 April 2014
    Hi all sifus and friends, i am seeking your help with my kois as they are flashing, jumping and probably losing beni and sumi especially on their head. These were what happened:

-i added new fishes last Saturday and Sunday. But i added in kenkona on Saturday afternoon after i put in the new fishes. By this time the fishes seem fine
    -By Monday night there is a very heavy rain and i found that my fishes were either floating or sinking to the bottom motionlesly. I immediately do water change and add in another round of kenkona. The fishes appeared to be better but flashing continues and i found that their color starts to fade
    -the daily raining should have diluted the kenkona and chemistry of the water so i change water again on Wednesday afternoon (today).

I am wondering when should i add in more kenkona? Should i add in tonight or wait until Friday to add another dose?
  • idrisidris April 2014
    First of all..hav u check ur water quality? Ammonia, no2 and ph? Did you have any salt in your water?
  • niveknivek April 2014
    What's your pond's pH?
  • hkl84hkl84 April 2014
    Ammonia and nitrate were not detected. pH is around 7.5, i used the chemical tester so cant be very accurate. I have quite a lot of oyster shell so pH should be fine. There is no salt in the pond as i heard that salt doesn't go well with kenkona
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    Overdose of kenkona bro.

How much water change you do before your second kenkona? I believe your water change was not enough.
    How many ton is your water and how much kenkona you used? 1 liter of kenkona for 60,000 liter of water is the right dosage.

When you did a second dose of kenkona, I believe all you good bacteria in ur pond has been killed. As such, there is ammonia and nitrite spike in your pond from your fish waste.

Here is my suggestion:
    1) Stop feeding for 1-2 week
    2) Check for Ammonia and Nitrite to confirm my above theory
    3) Change 30-40% water
    4) Add in biozme or and bacteria starter.
    5) Change 30-40% water in day 2
    6) Add in biozme
    7) Salt your pond to 0.4-0.5% and monitor your pond. You would go through NPS all over again so continue to monitor the water parameter

TK
  • hkl84hkl84 April 2014
    i change 20% of water, my pond is 4.5 tonne so i put in 75ml of kenkona. So far i could not detect any ammonia or nitrate but i don't have kit for nitrite at the moment.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    75 ml is correct dosage for 4.5tonne water. Nitrate is not lethal but Nitrite is leathal to kois. Do another 40% water change. and follow my above suggestion

Cheers and gud luck

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership