Which will you not buy?
  • ShukriShukri April 2014
    Just to get a discussion going........

Which of the present koi varieties that you will not purchased?
    And your reasons why.......

I for one find it difficult to keep Goshikis and Orchiba.......to maintain their quality.
    Not that I do not like these varieties........... It is just to hard to care and maintain them.

Please share your thoughts..........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-04-21 12:38:45 pm
  • Ivanlo24Ivanlo24 April 2014
    Agree with you on the goshikis...i love them..especially the deep black and scarlet red type.

But in my pond. The sumi seems to fade.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    Agree with Goshiki, very difficult to maintain without chiller. My goshiki still doing gud although the sumi has dropped a bit.

Budo Goromo: Same problem. Without chiller, the patches become more like beni type.

Asagi: Interesting fish. If hv money, get it Sansai. Tosai tend to hv beni come out later on Sansai stage. But until now, i can't resist to buy tosai asagi as more affordable. :>

Any ginrin: We tend to do cosmetic surgery for our kois if secondary beni pops up, re-shape pattern and for treatment. For gin-rin, it would b difficult as once the ginrin scale is out, it not gonna grow again.

:)
  • niveknivek April 2014
    Kumonryu - coz haven't got a clue how to care for them or how they will end up :-))
  • jaysonjayson April 2014
    Agree Goshiki need chiller. and shusui it like to grow beni over and dirty head. :">
  • HDCuHDCu April 2014
    I will not go for the following:
    1. Kujaku. Because they are more like cut flower rose. They are much more attractive when young.
    2. Goshiki. Beautiful only that its full potential is difficult to achieve
    3. Doitsu gosanke. It just does not have that texture 3d look on the skin plus chances of growing it large is much less.
    4. Karashihoi/chagoi. Its big size is impressive but becomes boring to look at it when its around other pattern koi. Eating much more of the expensive koi food at the expense of the loss growth of other more expensive gosanke and cause of more water maintenance seems very inequitable in my book.
  • cubercuber April 2014
    Benigoi, I just can't find a way to appreciate Benigoi. It looks more like typical goldfish rather than nishikigoi.
    Yes, I am not a fan of Benigoi either........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • grinkz01grinkz01 April 2014
    The most i would avoid is all hikari moyo family and matsukabawake/ki kusui. It just looks dirty and not nice looking at all. 2nd to avoid is benigoi and would never consider to have it.
    Bro Ming,
    Kin Showa will definitely not your cup of tea.......
    During my early days in this koi keeping hobby, what matters most to me were the Kohakus, and later the Shiros. I couldnt appreciate then the Showas or the Sankes...... I like Showas a lot now....... and ocassionally the Sankes.

Nowadays, I am more into the Non Gosankes........ love Kujakus, Kin Showas, Ginrin Kohakus and Ginrin Showas. I also like Karashigois and Kigois. Am looking out for Bekkos, but good ones are hard to come by and expensive.
  • KekwaKekwa April 2014
    No No to goshikis and asagis....seen many black netting all dropped until like dirty patches in our tropical waters....
    Kekwa,
    These varieties are hard to keep and maintain.........
  • grinkz01grinkz01 April 2014
    bro shukri....yup kin showa is not for me.....and i like karashi also
  • idrisidris April 2014
    I wont buy benigoi...chagoi..nope..unless a brown chagoi...
    How about Mukashi Ogon Bro Idris?
    And for the Goshikis, I have not one as yet over 60cm that have decent Sumi........ all seemed to lose their Sumi over time.........
  • russellrussell April 2014
    I find Goshikis the most challenging. I can't find myself trying again.

Can bro share why Asagi are also difficult? I just bought a tosai Asagi so will be happy to hear what to expect and the challenges when dealing with Asagi. Thanks in advance.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2014
    Asagi are fun to grow as long as
    1. You have very soft water
    2. You do not damage its scalation
    3. You do not feed color food
    4. Choose from a very good breeder and a higher quality one(more expensive)
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-04-23 09:23:51 am
    Talking about Asagi, I used to buy those Tosais that look like adults Asagis (didnt know then, but these are mostly if not all are males, because of the finished state). Nowadays, if I were to invest in Tosais Asagi, I will buy those that do not have any Beni at all or with very little Beni. Experienced Hobbyists know this, but many are not willing to divulge this information to the newbies........... and the newbies learned this the hard way. Unconsciously, newbies love finished kois with radiant colors.............. to sum up, they love the male fishes....... It happened to me too during the early part of the hobby, with no one to guide, and I have learned it the hard way......... If there were Forums similar to this, I would have saved money and unnecessary tuition fees...........
  • pandaipandai April 2014
    Once upon a time, this one sifu said he would not buy ochiba. Yesterday, not he only he bought ochiba, it's a doitsu ochiba some more... haisshh.. :-?
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • kolampkolamp April 2014
    Just to get a discussion going........

Which of the present koi varieties that you will not purchased?
    And your reasons why.......

Me is the auction koi pushed by those skinny girls wearing short kimonos...yesterday I end up with 3 pieces of auction kois which never in my list...haishhhhh might as well just ask the girl to have a drink instead of buying those fish :-((
  • puathiantatpuathiantat April 2014
    =D>
    :-)) :-D
    As you can see, humans being human, we have our preferences...........

Those that we like, others do not like. Else, we will be fighting for the same females!!! :-))
    Taste is something 'ABSTRACT' and never a 'PERFECT SCIENCE.'

There is always an element of 'SUBJECTIVITY' and 'PREFERENCES.' All of us are part and parcel of these.............

And how about 'LUCK'?............... I would say minimum 20%....

You may not like durian for now................ who knows in the near future!!!
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-04-30 11:18:07 am
  • ckleecklee April 2014
    Agree wit abang shukri, I used to not like durian, but now I like them very much!!
    Bro cklee,
    (Y) (Y) (Y)
  • idrisidris April 2014
    Potential gc contender for the doitsu ochiba
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    What doitsu orchiba??? :-D
  • idrisidris May 2014
    Wabt me to post tge picture ka? Hahahahha
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Thank you so much Idris.......... Just keep the photo in your wallet!!! :-)) :-D
  • ckleecklee May 2014
    Abang Idris,no picture no prove!! >:-)
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    :-)) :-)) :-D
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Anybody has Gin Shiro? :-D
  • YipmYipm May 2014
    Why bro?
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Because I like them and kind of difficult to get.........
    Just wonder who in Malaysia has one........

Bro Michael, you ada ke?
  • pandaipandai May 2014
    Internet excerpt:

"This koi's type is called "Gin Shiro Utsuri." Gin means silver body. Shiro Utsuri, as most of you know, means black and white Koi. So she is basically a metallic Shiro Utsuri.

One of the reasons why it is hard to come by is the production. Gin Shiro Utsuri is more like a by-product of Kin Showa. Therefore, there are not many Gin Shiro Utsuri produced, to begin with. In addition, Sumi (black) is very difficult to stay on the metallic body. When Sumi (black) is strong, the shine of the body is not strong. Or when the shine is strong, the Sumi does not stay strong. They do not get along by nature .So it is very rare that this Koi has both strong Sumi and strong metallic body at the same time."
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    (Y) (Y) (Y)
  • YipmYipm May 2014
    Bro Sukri, i ada dua. Satu menang BIV dan satu kalah. Ginrin shiro was real hot in the recent Wakagoi Show. There were many beautiful ginrin shiros in the show too.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Bro Michael,
    I want the metallic (Silver body) Shiro..........
  • YipmYipm May 2014
    As shine as your metallic kujaku bro Sukri but silver body of course
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    (Y) (Y) (Y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership