Foam On Water Surface Only When Bakki Shower Is running.
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011
    I noticed that when i turn off my BS, the foam tends to go away. When it is back on again, foam comes back. What to do? Installing and overflow pipe can't be done. maybe FF is the best option?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • AndySittAndySitt May 2011
    CA when did you add those crystal bio? If its recently then this could be the cause... Give it a few weeks and it will be gone...
  • PH8PH8 May 2011
    CA, a bakki shower is a very effective foam fractionator in itself. If only you can find a way to remove the foam.
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011
    uncle Andy, i added the crystal bio about 2months back.
    uncle Paul, maybe add a return pipe with a tee so that it will be like a ff?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    When the BS with bio fully matured there will be less foam. Meanwhile try change water more often.

If you do not like to see the foam, return water to under water level. You kill the noise at the same time.
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    May I know what is the common and most effective filter medias are used in a bakki shower ?

Mabel
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin May 2011
    Hi Mabel,
    I've been using bacteria house (china) for my BS, no problem at all
    now testing crystal bio for my 20ton new pond :)
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Joshua.

Nice to meet you again here in this forum.

Can we actually have the combination of bacteria house and crystal bio, e.g. one box with one type of media ?

Mabel
    Post edited by Chico at 2011-05-13 04:01:55 pm
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Hi Mabel,

You can combine any bio medias, all of it works the same except at different efficiency, whether it is crystal bio, BH, plastic bioballs, sponge or even nothing (only mixing of air/water).

What I do is to put the lighter or less compact media (plastic bioball) at the bottom. At the bottom I presumed has less oxygen in the air/water mix. This is with the assumption that most oxygen has been used up at the upper level and therefore the bottom level need more space to work more efficiently.

By introducing a lot of air into the pond water itself helps in the biological filtration. It helps the submerged filter media (sponge like japanese mat) works better or even in the water itself without medias.

More importantly is to wash and clean the media once a year with high water jet pressure and/or air jet. Clogged media has no use. Prevent clogging with compact sponge like media filtering the pond water before entering the bio media is highly recommended. Also, the media when exposes to sunlight will be coated with algae and rendered the media itself useless though the algae helps in the bio filtration.

What I am saying is type of medias is one thing. There are many other things to consider to maximizing the filteration system. Like a car, engine is one thing you got to make sure you change your oil/air/fuel filters regulary and maintain correct tires pressure regardless if you use expensive syn oil or cheap mineral oil or Ron 95 or Ron 97 or expensive or chipo tires.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Post edited by Stevie at 2011-05-13 05:50:23 pm
  • PH8PH8 May 2011
    I would have thought the oxygenation level at the bottom tray would be higher than at the top tray, having gone through several tiers of showering and water/air interface? This should more than offset the oxygen consumption by the bacteria. If not, the oxygenation level in the pond would not be higher in a bakki shower setup, rendering it useless?
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. It does help.

Hi, Paul.

I think the oxygen level should be the highest at the bottom tray as water goes thru several tiers of showering action which has aerated function.

Mabel

:)
  • StevieStevie May 2011
    Hi Paul, Hi Mabel,

Bottom tray? Yes bottom tray would have more oxygen concentration.

But, Sorry I was talking about the bottom part of a tray, not bottom tray. That is if you place two different medias into one tray. The bottom part of the tray should be of light media and the top part should be denser media. That will be better than to have one tray one type of media in terms of efficiency, I think if you want to mix.

But Mabel, More importantly is maintenance and prevention. Jap mat has too large holes will not remove any waste afterall most large particles have already been removed in the filter chambers. BH and Crytal bio have very tiny holes or capillaries and can easily clogged and become ineffective. Prevention with more dense filter mat is what I do. Jap mat is only good to remove leaves and of course maintenance free after all it traps no waste. Unless you are using plastic bio balls just to block sunlight.
  • ChicoChico May 2011
    Hi, Stevie.

Thanks for the clarification. I have misunderstood what you have commented. :)

Do get what you are trying to say now. Thanks.

Mabel
    Post edited by Chico at 2011-05-18 09:48:08 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership