Water rationing in Selangor
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2014
    The official word is out today and many of us must be looking forward with some anxiety at having the possibility of dry taps. On my part I immediately changed 30% of my pond water with dechlorinated water, filled up my F/G tanks as reserve, increased aeration into the filters to keep them working harder, and have decided to cut back drastically as to what I will feed over at least the next 2 weeks or so.
    When water is available, I will be religiously checking its quality before I put it into my pond. This is simply to make sure that things like chlorine and pollutant levels are not bouncing around.
    Anybody with more advice as to what we should do until the rains come again ? :-(
    Mike Lee
  • pandaipandai February 2014
    I had to use my vat for water storage - but for my family la, not for the kois... :-D
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • andysiaandysia February 2014
    I was about to bring this issue up.

My place (near balakong) no water for almost two weeks. Keeping a koi pond is indeed very challenging. I have reduced feeding to only once a day (1/3 of normal feed). I only wash filter mesh once in every three days (used to be everyday) and so far no backflushing has been done :-( . What to do ... no incoming water! Water level has dropped 2 inches due to evaporation ...

Water tests show that water quality is still good. Kois are still healthy but feel bad every time I walk pass the pond ... Fingers crossed and pray hard that rain is back so that water rationing goes away soon ...
  • snowlionsnowlion February 2014
    Good Luck guys!

Very sad and disturbed to hear such news again.

The last major water shortage was in late 1990s if I remembered...
    Every household rushed to buy big black plastic/pvc vats to store water...

Koi keeping then was not that popular as today..

Hang on there guys!

What about our Penang brothers?
    Any water shortage up there?

Regards
    Jerome Ng

Post edited by snowlion at 2014-02-25 07:57:49 am
  • niveknivek February 2014
    Luckily Penang is still ok.
  • ckleecklee February 2014
    JB also still ok.
    Forgot to mention - also salted the pond to 0.03% and bicarb to just above neutral.

Suspect that I can get away without water change for a couple of weeks - like all of you, fingers and toes crossed.
    Mike Lee
  • idrisidris February 2014
    hang on there guys..hope things turns better in these few days..yesterday watering my plant for 1 hour..feel guilty now..we dont have problem here in negeri sembilan..
  • lautslauts February 2014
    Bros ,

Suggest stop feeding completely, if no water supply . Kois will be better fasting than living in dirty water . Wash the sieve if possible to avoid further water contamination.
    Why salt ? This will add more to the stress than anything , further more this water cannot be re used further for watering plants.
    Checking pH is good idea , danger of lower pH from accumulation of waste and koi respiration.

I really feel guilty using the settled waste water to wash the floor, road pavement, plant watering and pump out the settled waste. I normally just pump out to drain. Neighbours are giving me the eye already. :-(
    We still need to change water for the koi sake albeit cut down.

ts
    I normally use salt for about 3 - 4 months in a year, and have only once used a chemical to get rid of a bug in the 15 years that I have kept koi. What to do ? Old habits die hard la.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5271

Have also watered my plants with the discharge without any problems - so far !

:)
    Mike Lee
    Salt is good for plant also...
    Some house plants can tolerate salt , while some can't. Osmosis thing , makes roots more difficult to absorb water. Best no salt for plant water , accumulates in soil so killing your plants slowly.
    Bro Idris tanam pokok bakau ke :-)) :-D tepi kolam .

Bro Mike Lee , salt does not work anymore to kill parasite , breeders have overused them so much , most parasites are immune to it. The level of salt needed to kill parasites will harm the kois too and we are talking at above 0.8%. The 0.03% ? , i think you mean 0.3% ?

ts
    x la bro lau...i read it in garden magazine this chinese uncle from ipoh used salt at his plant...hehe...i share with you if i find that article again...
    Bro Idris (handshake) , okie

ts
    Bro Lauts - the salt that I use is not to treat for parasites etc. it is more for their slime coat, as well as a buffer ( fish and filter ) against ammonia / nitrite if anything went wrong.
    The level shows as 0.03 on my ( ancient but still working ) Koi Med1 digital meter, and I run this level for a few months in a year. I have always presumed it means 0.03% but could be wrong.
    Yes, I have had friends who tell me that I am wasting my time with my salting practice - but they also cannot understand why I have never needed to buy medication.
    For me, if it works, and I can afford the few bags of salt every now and then, then that it what I do almost out of habit ? :)
    Mike Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership