FGT confirmed, setup advice request
  • KelvinliowKelvinliow February 2014
    Hi I just went to confirm a FGT order with a contractor, size is 9 feet x 3 feet x 1.5 feet high. I will be using my old 3 feet x 3 feet x 10 inch height for my aquaphonics bed and also filter tank for the new FGT.

With the new FGT, I intend to create an outlet with a tab at the base at one end to allow fish poo to drain out every few months. I will also put in another outlet 1.5 inch from the top on one side of the FGT to allow excess water from rain to flow out. Other than this two, I will use a submersible pump to direct water to the base of the 3 x 3 tank which is going to be placed on top of the new FGT.

Anything I need to take note of?
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2014
    Any particular reason you are limiting the depth to 1.5 feet ? :-?
    Mike Lee
  • ray2kray2k February 2014
    This size FGT would be custom made. Is it cheaper than using bricks and mortar?

You don't state what you intend to rear in it. Koi?

1.5 ft deep is the tank's physical depth, you water would be about 16.5 inches deep?

Even 1.5ft of water is not really enough for koi.

And if they jump, they're likely to end up sun dried cause you only have about 1.5-2 inches of wall above the water line.

Also, is the tank sheltered? Or will have direct sunlight? That little water will have the water getting warm real fast and temperature fluctuations may be a problem if exposed to direct sunlight.

Post edited by ray2k at 2014-02-10 09:34:46 pm
    Well for starters I live in a terraced house, so space is limited, any higher would dwarf the surroundings. Secondly, the 3x3 is going to be on top, so that makes it around nearly three feet in height visually. So its a matter of managing the height to the max, which is 1.5 feet with the water height at 1.2 or 1.3 feet
    Ray2k, yes the FGT is under a tree and bushes shade but also with a netting cover frame. Hopefully that will address the temp and also the jump over the wall koi.
    Just to share - my Dad's pond ( concrete ) has about 12 times the surface area, but was also built to a depth of about 1.5 feet because it was originally for decorative purposes in his garden. After he saw my koi, he built a massive over and under filter, and happily went to the koi shops.
    Things were ok for almost a year but trouble soon began when the fellas started to grow. On his part, deepening the concrete pond was quite a job, but it is now 3 feet deep, and he is enjoying his fish again.
    From my experience therefore, with only 1.5 feet, you are looking at a temporary solution, very low stocking levels, or, you will have to do something like digging into your garden so that part of the F/G tank can be recessed into the ground ? :)
    Mike Lee
    Thanks Mfwlee, it would be the former, ie low stocking level, at most 2-3 kois only. Not a serious hobbyist, but who knows, when I can afford a larger house like a corner or semi D then I can be a bit more serious to have a full fledged pond like everyone here has.
    Fully understand. Try to put some kind of a screen on one corner - I used potted plants when I was using F/G tanks. You will find that they appreciate this corner when they are alarmed.
    So long as they get good water and feel reasonably secure - enjoy them until they climb out to tell you that they want something deeper :-D
    All the best !
    Mike Lee
  • ray2kray2k February 2014
    OK, bro, at least can understand where you are coming from.

Key point will be the water quality and shade.

One final comment: The bottom outlet with tap for poo may not be usable unless your tank is sloped or you have some means to push the poo there.

Personally, I'd get a 1 inch or 1.5 inch hose and siphon the poo out more often than once or twice a year.

And if I understand you correctly, you intend this to be on the base (bottom) of the tank. It means that if that fails for any reason, your tank is gonna be dry.

I'd leave it out for now. If you need to add a tap like that, it shouldn't be too difficult to do it later yourself.
    Yes, your suggestion is good, as a decent hose with natural suction is far better than drilling a hole. I may still have to drill an overflow hole on top with a bulkhead fixture to flow to the bottom of the drain.
  • KelvinliowKelvinliow May 2014
    All done since a month plus ago. Did not drill hole for overflow. Instead just made an overflow device on law of vacuum and physics. Only three so called koi capalang meant as fish food which I bought had now grown to the size around 6 inches long. Old tank now a primary filter with plants. The pvc compartment filter used 2 hours per day on auto timer
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15665/20140510_091041.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15666/20140510_091007.jpg
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-10 10:51:17 am
    Water plants to absorb the nitrates and return oxygen to the water
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15669/20140510_091116.jpg
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-10 10:51:33 am
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    From time to time, inspect and clean the box containing the plants as these could harbor parasites and bacteria in the long run........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Oh yes I have a lot of guppies and now baby swordtails. If anyone wants some young water plants let me know
    Post edited by Kelvinliow at 2014-05-10 11:45:28 am
    In the box with the water plants

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership