pH value of your pond water!
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    When was the last time you check the pH of your pond water?
    With the constant rain, it will be good to check the pH after every down pour.
    We do not want a pH crash without our knowledge.............
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2013-11-05 12:43:35 pm
  • idrisidris November 2013
    I check every day..7.1 to 7.2...maybe because my pond fully covered...
    Yeah true, if your pond is 100% covered, then the risk is quite low due to acid rain......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • kominatokominato November 2013
    Aiyo...Haven't checked for 9 months...
  • urbaneffectsurbaneffects November 2013
    My pond can dropbto 4. Dangerous level. 100percent exposed. After adding 20kg of oyster shell, gone back to 6-6.5. To me, oyster shell is life saving..
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    I have checked ph once in a while and it has always read around 7.2 plus minus 0.1 ph regardless whether it rains or not. KH have hovered around 1 to 2 reading in the API test kit. I do like it when it rains as it cools and refreshes the pond water with free clean water. No oyster shells as well.
    But we have to remember that rain water is acidic...if u live in the countryside i guess it is low risk...if u live in a development area or in the area where there are a lot of factories, the rain will be acidic..just my opinion..
    Post edited by Shukri at 2013-11-05 05:18:03 pm
  • ray2kray2k November 2013
    I depend on oyster shells. pH around 7.3-7.6 but I don't check so often.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2013
    My pH is maintained between 8.0-8.2 :)
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2013
    Uncle Shukri and others... I like to keep around 7 - 7.2. That's why it's always important to have constant pH buffers in the filter.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • nocturnalnocturnal November 2013
    Bro Tk :)

the literature that i grew up with says, kuhakus will have the tendency to grow shimis when pH is above 7.8, gd for developing sumi in shiros though. do take care :)
  • boykoiboykoi November 2013
    Mine is a constant 8.1-8.3 PH.never had problems bringing up sumi,but beni is a challenge.need tosais to touch 60cm before color consolidates to a desirable beni tone.

Always wanted a sub 7 PH but never seemed to drop on my almost 2 year old pond.i just learn to live with it.
    Boykoi,
    What is the pH of your source water?

And TK, what is the pH of your source water?
    Thanks for the info Bro Adik,
    Sifu Shukri, my water source is 7.0-7.2, my pond pH always high. When initial I started after pond conditioning, the pH was 8.7, now slowly drop to 8.2 after 4 months running :)
    Not enpugh soaking probably? Did u soak it with vinegar before?
    TK,
    You need to know what is contributing to the pH reading...........
    <blockquote rel="idris">Not enpugh soaking probably? Did u soak it with vinegar before?</blockquote>

I did soak with vinegar two times but still same

Sifu Shukri,
    Now is high due to low feeding as QT for new arrival and kois from show. Otherwise 7.8

Another possible cause is I hv 30 kg of oyster, and 40kg of matala Bac house which would maintain higher pH, and 50 kg of bio ring,
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2013-11-06 02:11:35 pm
    Bro TK,
    7ish is OK.......

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership