koi development with kokusai koi food
  • darrendarren October 2013
    hi guys. hope you all are well. after a long hiatus from the forum, i'm reposting what we have posted on our facebook page on the development of koi fishes that went through our koi food program.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14236/1378818_570099243043177_1637479720_n.jpg

"growth development of one of our rather inexpensive sanke (the same batch of tosai we used as test subjects with our koi food last year). fed exclusively with our premium koi food. from 19cm (28 february 2012) to 61cm as measured today. "
    ps. apologies for the poor photography skill.
    Post edited by darren at 2013-11-03 02:28:46 am
  • Koi_CrusaderKoi_Crusader October 2013
    I've been using Kokusai for the past year and also recommended it to my customers. I will definitely say that the results have been very good.

Btw :-) need better pictures
  • KahhoeKahhoe October 2013
    (Y) (Y) (Y) ...
    Personally I see good growth and shiroji with Kokusai Wheatgerm :-D
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
  • snowlionsnowlion October 2013
    Bro Darren,

Thank you very much for sharing your very convincing results.
    I personally have not tried Kokusai yet... like to experiment soon.

I sincerely hoped that you can post pics of other kois that went thru the same feeding.
    That way it would be even more convincing..especially for people like me!

Thanks
    Jerome
    Post edited by snowlion at 2013-10-24 08:18:27 am
  • andysiaandysia October 2013
    I have finished half pack of Kokusai Wheatgerm ... so far so good ... I must say less poo if compared to the usual Hikari food.

But one thing is that my kois don't really like Kokusai Wheatgerm ... for the same feed amount it takes them more time to finish ... some kois just avoid (unless really hungry). Unlike Hikari growth, my kois will rush to finish the feed in no time :-D
  • PH8PH8 October 2013
    "Fish are Friends, not Food"

How about fish food friends then?

I will declare, Darren is my friend. But he was not my friend at the time 6 or 7 months ago when I took a big bag of food from him to try. For I was already using the Japanese food that was supposedly the "best of the best" (no need to mention names). My mind is always open, so I gave it a try. But with skepticism, I must say.

After 6-8 weeks, I sent an SMS to Darren, saying that I didn't notice any difference after 6-8 weeks of using his food. A short desolate and uncomfortable silence ensued. Then I told him, that my statement is a big positive, not a negative. No noticeable difference meant that Kokusai was not (to me anyway) noticeably any worse than the supposedly most premier Japanese koi food. And Kokusai definitely had a huge price advantage.

I have used Kokusai almost exclusively (I buy them now) for the last 6 months at least. My honest observations are that those koi that were already bulking before I started on Kokusai, continued to bulk. And those koi that were not performing before Kokusai, continued not to perform. And that is why I mentioned, no noticeable difference.

Kokusai is not a miracle food which will turn koi with lousy genetics into beautiful monsters. The importance of genetics is always paramount. I have no friggin' idea which koi food in the world brings koi closest to their genetic potential, but of those that I have personally tried, that particular brand of Japanese koi food (which I have not named but most of you will know anyway) and Kokusai food have (again, just my personal view) been more than good enough for me. These 2 brands give out the lowest level of koi poo, and (perhaps mistakenly, but then again, perhaps not) a higher level of food absorption. Water quality is not compromised too much since poo levels are lower. Koi seem happier.

I don't buy expensive top quality koi these days, so my expectations of size and bulk, of my own koi, are not what they might have been before. But I would like to think that I still do understand a tiny little bit about water quality et al.

Take what you want from this post, it is one-off.

Cheers,
    Paul
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    (Y)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • snowlionsnowlion November 2013
    Big Brother!

Welcomed back! After how many years of Silence?
    Great to know that you are still with us...

Regards
    Jerome
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    (Y)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ashfaqashfaq November 2013
    Brother @ph8, welcome back!
    Good to see your observation on Kokusai koi food.
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • darrendarren November 2013
    thank you all for your reviews and feedback. it is feedback like these that drives us to work harder. over the years, apart from our own research and development, we have worked closely with koi breeders, dealers and fellow hobbyists in order to gather as much feedback as possible. these feedback allows us to monitor closely on the result and effectiveness of our products with fishes that are of different genetics and different types of environment.

as bro PH8 aptly put it, our products are no miracle food. they are made of natural ingredients and we are merely providing a balanced nutrition (in pellet form) that are best suited for koi fish. when i said best suited, it means a healthy nutrition that brings out the best of a koi inside and outside. i can never emphasis enough on the healthy aspect of koi, we do not want extra ordinary growth at the expense of the health of a koi or fantastic colour enhancing at the expense of shiroji.

we welcome all feedback, be it negative or positive as it is our privilege to be given the chance to engage with fellow koi food user of ours and i believe our product still has plenty of room for improvement.

watch this space, i will post more development pictures of kois fed with our products. its time to brush up my photography skill too.

Darren
  • snowlionsnowlion November 2013
    Bro Darren,

Thanks for taking up the challenge for the sake of everyone in this hobby!
    Bravo!

Jerome
  • KaajKaaj November 2013
    "These 2 brands give out the lowest level of koi poo, and (perhaps mistakenly, but then again, perhaps not) a higher level of food absorption. Water quality is not compromised too much since poo levels are lower. Koi seem happier". Quoted PH8

Yes. There is very little floating poop, which is a good thing.
  • HWONGHWONG November 2013
    Hello Kaaj..
    ZNA koi show..you can bring yours Frank Zanes...
  • darrendarren February 2014
    hello, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR. its been awhile since my last post, here to share with you guys some of the development our own koi.

thanks
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15062/momotaro sanke comparison.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15063/kaneko kujaku comparison.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15064/tancho comparison 1.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15065/takacio kohaku comparison1.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15066/sakai sanke comparison.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15068/sakai kohaku progress1.jpg
    Post edited by darren at 2014-02-04 06:52:02 pm
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15073/kaneko kujaku comparison.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15074/sakai kohaku progress1.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15075/sakai sanke comparison.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15077/tancho comparison 1.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15079/takacio kohaku comparison1.jpg
  • TomyCTomyC February 2014
    Dear Darren from Kokusai,

1)What are the feeding routines on these koi? Volume?

2)What specific Kokusai food were used?

3)The koi pics you show were indeed of koi that have grew well. How many koi are there in this grow pond? Size of the grow pond and filtration? Maintenance routine?

4) What about pictures of other koi that didn't grow as well?
    Hi Tommy

thank you for your queries.

1)What are the feeding routines on these koi? Volume?
    2)What specific Kokusai food were used?

my feeding routine consists of a mixtures of our high growth, spirulina and ultra red. 3-4 times per day with monthly fasting of 2-3 days. ratio between colour food to high growth is about 1:3.

3)The koi pics you show were indeed of koi that have grew well. How many koi are there in this grow pond? Size of the grow pond and filtration? Maintenance routine?

the size of my pond is about 70 ton in volume with about 30-40 kois. filter chambers is about 30% of the total volume, it's a conventional up-down filtration system.

4) What about pictures of other koi that didn't grow as well?
    i've been using the above specimens as development updates that i have been posting periodically on our facebook page. i do have pictures of other kois, but not as complete as the above few, its not that easy to bowl koi in big pond and i don't want to stress them that often :(

Darren
  • kindashowa888kindashowa888 February 2014
    Hi Darren
    Any agent in singapore selling this product.?
    There is a koi show in singapore expo hall this april.
    it would be very good if u can promote this product's I believe many hobbyist very keen to know and buy..
    Hi kindashowa888

Singaporean hobbysits can get our product at max koi farm. They are selling our products for awhile now.

Thank you for your suggestion. I am aware of the koi show and you will see us there.

Thanks

Darren
  • darrendarren June 2014
    Hi all,

here's a quick update on one of our sanke. more development pictures soon. cheers!

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15803/sanke comparison resized.jpg
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner June 2014
    To be frank, I have been using Kokusai Wheatgerm Hi growth for about 2 months now. I realise that the fish really bulk up in a couple of weeks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership