Gills flapping outward!
  • ChualimshyangChualimshyang September 2013
    Hi all, my karashi gills like flapping outward but others fish is fine.
    Do leader fish only have this problem? She only 25cm and a big
    Eater, almost chomp Down all the feeds for other big fish. Now even
    Outgrow them!
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2013
    Hi,
    sounds like a case of gill curl. I believe happens when there's lack of dissolved oxygen provided in the pond, over feeding/eating and other reasons.
    Perhaps some sifu's can chip in experience?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • MfwleeMfwlee September 2013
    I have a Dainichi Showa with the same gill curl. I bought 4 at the same time and did not notice the problem until a few months later.
    Does not seem to bother the fella - just unsightly when compared to the rest. Haven't a clue as to why this happened but could have been born with it - and the curl just got more noticeable as it grew ?
    Mike Lee
  • lautslauts September 2013
    This problem seems to be more prevalent nowadays with even small tosais having it. It is quite common with the bigger kois. Solution is to cut away the soft gill cover edge. Apply some topical solutions eg iodine, PP to the cut area. Make sure to cover the gills with soft paper/ plastic to prevent getting solutions on gills. Sometimes soft gill cover edge can also curl inwards esp below not side. You can see the koi effected will open its gill cover more regular and wider like something irritating the gills. You need to cut the soft tissues ( only soft tissue area) too.

ts
  • ashfaqashfaq September 2013
    Bro @lauts, is gill curl serious problem or can be left naturally?
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2013
    Sifu's told me, high ammonia can lead to gill curl as well. Early stage curl's can be cured overtime, but some might have serious gill curl which can't be cured.

Bro Ashfaq, gill curl koi's is demerit it koi show. Not sure on their well being
    Not a serious problem , it can be corrected sometimes, othertime it will just grow back. I tend to think it as a deformity. but not sure its causes. It is best to correct the ingrown gill curl as i notice it bothers the koi's breathing movement. Soft gill cover tissue actually helps kois breathing by giving a tighter close to the gills areas thus drawing in water for respiration.

ts
    I noticed this as well. The koi with this deformity tend to breathe heavier because it is not a watertight seal. I am going to leave it unless it gets worse - just hope for the best.
    Mike Lee
  • ikankoikauikankoikau September 2013
    Till today nobody can be really sure the reason for gill curl. But the cause has been narrowed down to water quality such as prolong exposure to Ammonia or Nirite in low desolved oxy. It can also happen due to short exposure in high Ammonia or Nitrite condition. Typical example during transportation in overcrowded enviroment which leads to low Oxy level in plastic bag.

Normally the koi can live and eat normally except for deformed in appearence. If it is beginning stage, the soft tissue can be cured with regular massage but this may not be practical for koi living in the pond. More suitable to Arowana which can easily captured. If later stage, the soft tissue needs to be cut. Some will grow back normally. Things will get difficult if the hard cover gets curled.

• boykoiboykoi September 2013
    sifus,

I have this problem occuring when my main airpump conked out without replacement for 4 months.with the current spray bar and new airpump,i am hoping to see improvements on some kois gills.otherwise,im planing to cut the outer portion.i had experienced cutting tips of gills before,some grow back normally but others grow the same.
    Bros,

Best to cut if small. As it effect breathing ability , the longer you leave it , it will effect the shape of gill cover itself. You will notice that the gill cover will be more pronounce , and juts out a bit from body. This i think is how the koi compensate for poorer tight seal as mentioned by Mfwlee.
    How much and where you cut on the soft gill cover also determine success.

ts

that explains some of my kois gills sir.i had one koi with cover simply jutting out the jaw bone.i have since sold this koi.but i still have one which im eager to operate again as she will be defending her title this december on our local koi show here.i have to operate soon so that the koi can recover 3 months time
    Please keep us informed. My showa is by no means a show fish - but I would also like to seek some rectification if it is possible and not expensive.
    Mike Lee
  • HDCuHDCu September 2013
  • ikankoikauikankoikau September 2013
    Bro HDCu,

I believe most of us discussed this issue here to gain knowledge on why it happened and ways to cure it. Not everybody here talking about winning a show. If you have 2 simmilar quality of kois but one with gill curl, I am pretty sure most of us will pick the one without. If Pandora has gill curl, she might still won the GC title as a koi is judged by many criterias.

I dont see any problem too in this kohaku(except gill curl) but definitely the owner would prefer this koi not having gill curl. This kohaku won because of many other reasons but certainly it will have higher mark without this problem.
    Bro HDCu,

No problem with the champion koi as now too late to do anything. I think the hard part of gill cover already a bit deformed. I think even if cut the soft membrane part to let it regrow, the cover will jut out. For small kois maybe up to Nisai , chances to get it corrected is good. It is simple and not too intrusive. Most importantly if corrected it will help the koi the breath better. Observe a koi with the defect and you will know what i mean. We are not talking abt cutting the pectorals to make it rounder or tail to make it smaller here.

i attach a pict of my 60+ cm asagi , it is a bit too late now to correct . Even after cutting the soft tissue , the cover does not fully "fit" the body. What will happen , i think , is cover will grow thicker with skin to compensate for non proper fitting. Making the head near the gill cover area to jut outwards.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13954/Gill cover.JPG

ts
  • HDCuHDCu September 2013
    Bro Lauts,

I have a sanke nisai that I bought late last year that showed a little gill curl as a compromise despite its very beautiful body and thick beni. After fattening her up and increasing in size in a very well aerated pond, the gill curl disappeared.

My question is when I look at this ISA Vietnam GC is since it still lacks some girth and the gill curl does not seem to be so excessive, can adding girth and putting the koi in well oxygenated environment correct the gill curl of that koi as well?
    Post edited by HDCu at 2013-09-25 11:34:43 am
    Koi kichis think alike bro HDCu , Capt :-D .

Fattening helps esp with biggers koi as it takes away the size variations between shoulder and gill cover. Additional aeration no. Neither does lower DO is pond causes gill curl. My pond must be one of the best aerated with 5 Hiblows , one venturi and 3 spray bars. I still get a few big kois getting this problem some may be pre-existing condition much earlier when i was not aware then.
    A pict of my 75+ ogon before and after gill flap correction and some fattening after 1-2 mth.

ts
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13961/ogon1.JPG
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13962/Ogon2.JPG
    i agree that getting kois with gill curl girth up will reduce the discrepancy.however, i have one doistu sanke that had her gill flaps crooked like loose skin.im planning to trim next week to prepare for koishow 3 months from now. but other gillflaps on some kois of mine have lines already,i guess this was when i had no aerator on pond for 5 months straight.its a pity that i could have averted it by just buying outright a new airpump than waiting for my mych delayed order of airpump diaphragm.expensive lesson indeed

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership