S1 what is the dosage.
  • cookcpucookcpu April 2011
    The bottle of S1 say 1 ml to 1liters of water. If that is true, then for a 30 tons pond I need to 30 liters of S1 that means I need to buy about 9 cans of 4 liters S1.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Thats what it says, but do add salt for effectiveness up to 0.5%. Have also read in this forum S1 not so effective anymore. I think the cans are 5 litres ones in Msia.

ts
    Bro ts thank you for the confirmation of the dosage of S1.

Actually I have not use S1 before. But 9 cans of S1 hmm it going to cost a dent in my pocket.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Yes bro. The last time i used cost me more than RM500 ( 11 tubs at RM55 ea) but it worked then. Thats excluding salt and water change thereafter. Hell difficult to rid the pond thereafter of salt and S1 , so best used in QT IMHO not pond. It may be better to start over pond and move all kois to QT tank if possible.

ts
    Bro ts, I didn't know it is hard to get rid of S1. I know with salt, I have to do a lot of water change for about 1 month in order for the saltiness to go to zero.

I don't have a QT tank.

But if I don't treat the pond then the bacteria will stay in the pond even though all the koi are in QT tank. hmm....

Thank you.
  • ShukriShukri April 2011
    S1 contains mostly Acriflavin and check the ph out!!! Acidic........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri, thank you for the information. Ah...my ph pen just went bonkers.. I guess I need to get a new ph pen...murphy law come visit me today.

Acriflavin seem to be recommended by most goldfish keeper to treat sick fish. I wonder will it do well for koi.
    Post edited by cookcpu at 2011-04-13 10:27:07 pm
  • heng84heng84 April 2011
    ive tried misaki anti bacteria treatment.. one bottle RM90+ (4L) for my 22tonne pond if not mistaken.. slightly underdose.. by right need 1 1/2- 2 bottle .. was recommended by atarikoi tropicana.. he say same like s1 but much higher concentration so cheaper to pour into the pond.. im not good at medication i jsut told them what problem i encounter and dimension of the pond they direct me steps to be taken then i just do it.. haha well.. my koi was doing alright after the medication.. just my 2cent
    Post edited by heng84 at 2011-04-13 10:42:53 pm
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Bro William,

Your main worry would be bacteria on koi that causes disease such as gill rot and body fungus. The disease causing bacterias in pond will naturally die when there is no fish to feed on. This principle similarly works for parasites too. Its just a matter of how long for what disease. Anyhow to make sure you could drain all your pond water and fill it with untreated tap water, the chlorine will do the job for you and will dissipate after a few days and safe for your kois. Biggest headache then would be starting your filter bacterias.

ts
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Hi,
    A question on S1, if we use it for the pond, does it damage the biological filter?

Bro Heng84, thank you for sharing the information and the experience you have with the medicine, as I am not in KL so very hard for me to buy the medicine.

Bro ts, hmm you got a point there. Yes, restart the filter bacteria is like going through NPS again. Just feed kao kao and dump bacteria starter into the chamber. :-D
  • ShukriShukri April 2011
    I was a strong proponent of using S1 and 0.5% salt to treat many fish ailment. I have not used it in ages since I have found other ways of treating diseases. S1 does not wipe out the good colonies of good bacteria in the filters but surely reduced the population. S1 can surely cure flashing and parking diseases. Also the combination of S1 and salt do wonders during quarantining of new acquired fishes.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau April 2011
    Bros,
    Honestly speaking, I hv stopped using S1 for quite sometimes. I seldom use salt too except for reducing stress for competition. To treat the whole pond with S1 is expensive(depending on pond size). Using basic ingredient will be very much cheaper and effective. Quite a number of our brudders here hv ways to treat pond and kois in QT.

As for me considering still new in this hobby, I will try to find the real cause of the problem. For parasite, I will go for Dimilin(anchor worm), Masoten(fish lice) and Malachite Green+Formalin for others.

For bacteria, of course it is best for you to identify the type of bacteria, but since I don't have microscope, I will go for Malachite Greean+Formalin or PP.

For fungus, beside MG+Formalin and PP, I will use mathalene blue.

For quarantine tank usage, for quarantine, I would prefer to use Blagdon Anti Ulcer bcoz beside ulcer, it can also be used for the decease that you are not sure off. It is the best medication for bacteria gill disease. For 300L water, you need to add only 17ml.

Recently on this particular day, I saw a few of my kois parking. I just fast the kois and treat them with MG+formalin. After 2 days, they were back to norm.

For the sake of the hobbyist, the medication mentioned above are cheap except for Blogdon Anti Ulcer but you can you it for a long time as dosage required is small.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Bro Capt,

Spoken like a pro definately not "new' in hobby ;-) i tend to think S1 as a wider spectrum medication good for QT. Too add to your list of medication would be Prazi for flukes.

ts
    bro lauts mind telling me where can i get praziquantel?? sorry i might have missed those posted in previous thread.. but only to manage to find those who said can be bought outside malaysia only and the one misaki ap that contains prazi

sorry and thanks
    Thank you for the contribution Bro Captain.

last time with a 10 tons pond, I just pour whatever medicine I can get my hand on.

Now the pond is 30 tons, I really have to think twice before putting any medicine even with putting salt into the pond also. The reason is it may take a longer time or a few big water change to remove the medicine in the pond. '

I am waiting for the next two days, if the all the koi still parking and with some redness on their back then I guess I have to medicate the whole pond with anti-bacteria medicine.
    For S1 the dosage last how long before the next dosage.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    The last time i used S! it took 2days to see result. No water change no feeding. No flashing too on same day . But be prepared to sweat it out as will have problem seeing kois due to green colour. Everything gets discoloured esp the red beni and any skin damaged.

Heng , if you need Prazi you could check with Atari.

ts
  • AnuarAnuar April 2011
    Bro Heng,

Please let us know if you managed to get Prazi from Atari. The last time I checked, it was not available and was told to get the Misaki Anti-Parasite as it contains Prazi. I have also bought this medication by the name of "Para Wash" which contains 20% of Prazi from Kuching. You can check the shop's website at www.aquatickoi.com

Regards.
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Hi Bro Anuar,
    Atari Tropicana do have Prazi. I just bought from them about 3 weeks ago...
    That medication is very difficult to dissolve in water though.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Bro Chan Ee, I asked before, they said don't have leh. Which branch? Apparently Misaki Anti-Parasite has only 0.05% Praziquantel, dosage much much too low for any effect against flukes. Parawash, on the other hand, is not a pond treatment but a bath treatment. If there is a pond-wide flukes problem, we'd have to bowl the koi one by one for a Parawash bath. Quite leceh...
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Bro Paul,
    From Atari Tropicana. Maybe they are out of stock now. I just bought it from Andrew about 3 weeks ago.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Around that time I also asked Andrew if he had wor. He looked quite puzzled and said no, the only form they had was in Misaki Anti Parasite. Was what you bought in white flake form?
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Yes, white powdery form. Very difficult to dissolve in water even when stirred very hard...
    thanks bro laut very much...anuar.. i got it! left back 1 packet 10g which treat 5tonne only.. got 4 i sapu 3.. haha.. 1 packet 50 bucks 10g .. i think if u wanna check back u gotta give them a call see when their stock replenish.. i believe they still have.. just havent pack only i think better be safe give them a call if u wanna buy.

bro paul atari do carry it.. its in the place where he keep his pp/malachite green below the guppy tank..

bro cetay mind telling me how to make the prazi dissolve?.. andrew ask me to mix with alcohol.. i went to 2 pharmacy.. they say they only have spirit.. and another told me surgical spirit = alcohol is that true.. i dont want to kill my fish

my pond is at 0.4salt .. adding prazi will be okay right?
    do i need to stop feeding when putting prazi treatment?
    Post edited by heng84 at 2011-04-15 12:14:06 am
    I do hope you guy when mixing powder form with liquid should wear glove, mask and eye protection. Also make sure in a corner where there is no wind blowing towards you.

Those powder can be dangerous if inhale.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    I just popped by Atari and got the Prazi. They explained why last time they told me don't have, but better not say. :O Thanks for the lead, Bro Chan Ee. Real expensive stuff though.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Heng,

No need to dissolve the Prazi in alcohol just put in a shaker with warm water then shake it . Then pour content into where the pump exits or high flow area for max distribution. It will slowly diluted within 6 hrs or so. You will find undiluted Prazi sticking to pond wall, pls use water to hose to get it back into pond water. It will dissolve in time, and when it does, you will find bubbles from airhose gets finer like when using salt. Also you will be able to smell prazi distinctively from your pond water. Switch off the surface skimmer and FF till all diluted , else go to waste. Best of luck.

Based on my experience ,works better with salt and subsequent 2nd dose to be used 7 after initial dose. Water change 20-30% in between.

Hope it helps.
    ts
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Hi Heng,
    I just add the prazi into a pail of pond water very very slowly while stirring it. Did not add alcohol as I too am not sure what the alcohol will do to the kois. After that, just pour the mixed solution into the pond near a water outlet for even distribution.

And yes, if you are using it for the first time in your pond, a 2nd dose will work better.

tyvm bro lauts, and bro cetay

thank you very much have follow what u guys directed and did not use alcohol. It's after 24hrs since I last put my medication but..... Just now rain heavy all my water go to overflow edi haha wasted my medication but at least got 24hrs to kill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership