What Food Do You Experienced Hobbyists Reccomend?
  • ChengAunChengAun April 2011
    What koi food is good and reccomended?? i know FD food is used by people like uncle Paul and Uncle David, but it is too expensive in my opinion. Saki Hikari is also too expensive for me. i am currently using a Taiwanese brand called "Astro" Spirulina but i dont think many hobbyist know this brand and i noticed it caused my koi's shiroji to be a bit yellowish after feeding this food.....
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-04-11 01:32:02 am
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin April 2011
    CA, i use Hikari Wheatgerm, Gold, Spirulina and Excel
  • ikankoikauikankoikau April 2011
    CA,
    Other choices with lower and reasonable price is Nobori or Marubeni wheatgerm.
  • DanleeDanlee April 2011
    Tategoi CA,

I think Nobori and Marubeni is about the same price range as Saki Hikari. Maybe you want to consider Misaki from Atari.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Tategoi CA, actually I'm not using FD anymore. Because of the cost factor. My honest opinion is that FD PrimoPlus is probably the best koi food that I have tried. Fantastic growth whilst keeping shiroji white and shiny. And it also has a high digestive rate so less shit is produced. But the cost factor weighed on me too, although supposedly we need to feed less of this so maybe it might work out to be not too much more expensive. Currently I am using mainly Marubeni floating growth, Sakai sinking wheatgerm and Sakai Colour.

What price range (per kg) is affordable for you? If you can indicate, then maybe the brothers here can help better. As you know, there is a Cantonese saying 1c buys you 1c quality. I believe Bro Aaron has some very affordable koi food too (forgot the name). His Tropicana branch should be opening next month.
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-04-11 03:04:40 am
    has anyone used Yamato Nishiki Koi food?? how much is nobori?? does it help with growth?
  • MichaelMichael April 2011
    Bro CA,currently i feed with Saki growth n Saki colour for 2 month n i can see my koi growth well even just with 850 litre tank.1kg below rm25 i think is ok for u la coz u just have 5 koi izit?

Post edited by Michael at 2011-04-11 09:11:58 pm
    Tategoi CA,

Nobori is high grade wheatgerm koi food .. mainly used to improve or maintain the while shiroji. I am not sure it is as good as Marubeni/FD/Saki Hikari high growth when it come to growth. You can call AKA koi centre for Nobori pricing.
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Hi CA,
    I am using Misaki wheatgerm as a staple diet for my koi and I find it to be quite ok. Price also reasonable.

Bro Daniel,
    Between Nobori wheatgerm and Misaki wheatgerm, any diff in cost and performance?
  • lautslauts April 2011
    CA,

For colour you could try Yamato Nishiki ( Abt RM140 for 10kg , i think ) and Nozomi wheatgerm 15kg for Rm240. Both are quite good and affordable , but be ready to provide some storage space like big airtight containers.

ts
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Personally, I have always tried to use wheatgerm+color+high protein in tandem for the kois as a staple.... How you choose to use all 3 depends on what you intend to do with your koi. Eg. One week of 40% high protein will help bulk them, but it certainly isnt a good idea to continuously feed in such a high percentage. In general, 60% wheatgerm, 30% color, 10% high growth has worked quite OK for me....

Recommended - hikari excel and sakai high growth sinking. But it is expensive.

or maybe, yamato nishiki for growth and nobori for white shiroji?
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    CA, remember :
    wheatgerm = rice
    color = veges
    high protein/growth = meat

You need to balance this out...
  • ShukriShukri April 2011
    I have been experimenting koi foods that supposedly are cheap. The kois development are not really promising I must say. None can beat the premium food that all of us know. Looks like I can't save money on food.........sigh!!! :-(
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    maybe start feeding KFC to the koi's then got good growth and bulk.....hahaha joking :-))
  • cookcpucookcpu April 2011
    Better not feed KFC to the koi, it may turn out to be chicken koi.... :-)) >:-)
    Bro CE Tay,

Nobori is more expensive than Misaki wheatgerm (200+ vs 100+ for 10kg bag). A lot of people used Nobori before show to improve the shiroji after a good round of intensive colour food.

does Atari sell Yamato Nishiki koi food? how much is a 5kg bag of Hikari hi growth at atari??
    i believe the cheapest type of Hikari food is hikari friend. however it does not help growth or coloring :-(
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Oic... Thanks, bro Daniel. Maybe I shall give it a try after the Sakai colour food that I have been feeding my koi. After one weeks of Sakai colour, I notice that my koi are getting very yellow.
    Very normal Cetay. I did that for three months, so can you imagine how yellow my fishes were then.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • JamesJames April 2011
    I have been starting to feed Nobori, and wetting it with Vivakoi. Let's see if it does improve shiroji as I do have a few yellow snout kois now...
  • christopherchristopher April 2011
    Bro Shukri,
    I know....it become yellow submarine... :-))
    Tategoi CA,

Marubeni high growth floating is selling for RM380 per 20kg bag in Cheras Aquarium. So, that work out to only RM19 per kg. The only challenge is how long it will take you to finish the 20kg bag and where you are going to store to keep it fresh. Maybe, you can consider sharing the 20kg bag with your friends.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Bro Chan Ee, until now, I try to feed colour food relatively sparingly. Maximum 25-30%, never more. Colour food is taxing on the kidney of the koi. When the kidney is overloaded, the koi will start to turn yellow, I believe it's a danger sign.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Tategoi CA, come to my place, I will pass you a bag of Marubeni floating food, courtesy of Bro Chris Pui of Kuching.
  • ashfaqashfaq April 2011
    Brother Paul,
    Is it necessary for us to feed supplement kind of food for the sake of color and Growth??? Aren't we killing our kois, like giving slow poison to them.
    I am sure there will be a natural product/vegetable which will be good for toning color and growth and it wont also have side affect when comparing to the supplements like Hikari,FD,etc....

Please suggest...
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Bro Ashfaq, I think if you feed your koi vegetables, tofu and rice, they will end up very skinny fellas. Guess it's up to the hobbyist, what he wants. Most koi foods are made from natural ingredients anyway, mainly fishmeal. The colour food will contain spirulina which is commonly found in algae. Wonder why do you consider pellet food as unnatural or poison? :-? I consider pellet food as basic food, not supplement food.
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-04-12 04:12:40 pm
    Ashfag,
    Can you elaborate further what do you mean by giving poison to them! Or are you referring to a particular kind of food that you know off or are aware that certain hobbyists are giving to their kois?

FYI, established koi foods have been studied, R&Died and developed in the most stringent manner.

Awaits your feedback.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2011-04-12 10:43:53 pm
    Bro Paul/Shukri,
    I have heard from many hobbyist that if you feed color food/Growth food continuously, it will affect the life span of the kois, say a kois live upto 30-50 years max in a normal feeding pond, whereas koi will live upto 10 or below 15 years, if we give color/growth food. This question was haunting me from past 4 months, when i heard about this, thats why i feel like asking this question.

I am not referring to any koi food, but all koi food which is especially being sold for toning color, to pump the body and for koi growth aswell. If we feed these koi food daily, why our kois doesnt live long, why our kois used to get diseases, like what you said below. Thats why i have mentioned these foods as Slow poison.

"Colour food is taxing on the kidney of the koi. When the kidney is overloaded, the koi will start to turn yellow, I believe it's a danger sign.".
    Thanks,
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Bro Shukri - I can imagine @-) . Actually I have tried saki colour, hikari excel and now sakai. Somehow only Sakai colour cause this yellowish head. Personally I find Hikari Excel the best for colour food.

Bro James - do keep us updated if Nobori helps to improve shiroji. Thanks.

Bro Paul - Thanks for the advise. I shall keep that in mind. Actually I only feed sakai colour once a day. The other 2 feeds are Misaki wheatgerm.

• PH8PH8 April 2011
    Bro Ashfaq, I think everything needs to be done in moderation. Studies have shown that a glass of red wine everyday may be good for our health, but if we drink 5 bottles of red wine a day, our liver may be overloaded too.

I know there are some instances of koi living to 30-50 years old, but I don't think you should expect your koi to live so long. Those are more the exception than the rule. In our typical closed systems, we would be doing well if we can keep our koi alive for 15-20 years. In my opinion, deteriorating water conditions in a closed system have a more important part to play in the mortality of a koi, rather than type of koi food.
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-04-12 09:37:40 pm
    drinking red wine.........how about whisky aged 20yrs?? :-))
  • cetaycetay April 2011
    Dear Koi Kichi,
    Anyone can recommend a place where I can get a good price for a medium size pack (about 5kg) Hikari Excel & Nobori? Thanks in advance...
    Hi Ashfag, if you want your kois to live longer and bigger like the masheer, then definitely one should set them free and let them live in a lake, large pond or stream. Imagine if we confine human to just live in a cell. With the stress level and discomfort, no quality food or good food will keep the fellow to be alive like in a normal free environment.

If you want your kois to be healthy and live longer, then have a pond e.g. like a 100 metric ton but have only 3 kois. Ensure a good habitat and eco system. I will bet my bottom dollar that these kois will be healthy and live longer. Off course what ever an artificial environment that you have, definitely can't beat a natural environment. By the way, do not forget that kois nowadays are genetically engineered, which I do not believe they will thrive well in the wild.........my 2 cents worth.
  • lautslauts April 2011
    Guys,

Have you tried adding Vit C to your koi food? For those feeding colour, suggest try adding Vit C , via soaking pellets in diluted effervescent VitC tabs or Kid's Haliborange rish in Vit C. I think it helps my koi shiroji , even when i feed 30% Saki Colour. Anyway no harm to kois.

ts
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Here are some of my "backyard science" theories....
    1. Feeding color food alone is a terrible idea. Color foods all have carrotine in them - ie. the same stuff from carrots. Feed your kids too much carrots and they also will turn yellow. Feed them more tomatoes, they will have rosy cheeks ;)

2. Feeding wheatgerm alone maybe good for your kois health. But it will not bulk them up. The amount of protein in wheatgerm feed is typically <35%. I am guessing that this is from vege based protein sources which are not very easily absorbed.

3. Feeding high protein alone is excellent for growth during short stints, but has adverse effects in the long run. Some effects include bloating, lethargy, growth spurts that damage the skin (ie cracking of beni). To my nose, high protein foods are marine based (ie fish, prawn etc) which is easier to absorb and therefore increase growth dramatically. High growth is typically >40% protein.

cheers.

Post edited by Kaaj at 2011-04-13 01:43:32 am
    is it fine to feed small food to nisai and sansai? ( the size for tosai ) will it decrease the growth rate??
  • megatronmegatron April 2011
    I feed my koi with FD food, Sakai wheatgerm, saki grow n color (really small amount), silk worm, n fresh veggies once a week. They are all like it.

Don't ask me why!!!
  • JamesJames April 2011
    Bro CE Tay, I find misaki just food which doesn't do anything for the koi, ie no growth, no colour improvement.

And my experience with mixing vivakoi, of course it improves the snatch, but why wouldn't it. If u smell this potion, it is like vinegar. And vinegar as anyone knows improves appetite as it does create hunger even for humans.
    What i understand from this sugegstions is, we should not over feed any food, if over feeded then its serious harm to our beauties, thanks bro paul,shukri and kaaj for making me understanding the facts of the food really worth examples given when explaining :-D
    Thanks,
  • heng84heng84 April 2011
    i tried misaki wheatgerm , dont have good result too, but some members said they have seen growth and some dont.. and i find it to be very oily.. and smells strong , cos i use hand to pick up sometimes forget to wash my hand haha but this i definitely will wash
  • AndySittAndySitt April 2011
    Bro, you wont go wrong with Saki Hikari wheatgerm and color.. Hikari Excel is good for colour but its more expensive... For growth go for Marubeni and FD Primo Plus.. I am now using Noburi to compare against Hikari wheatgerm...
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Wheatgerm in general will not increase growth dramatically.....Whether its Misaki, Hikari basic etc. If there is a high content of protein, chances are it will help with growth, but as mentioned, vege protein is not absorbed as well. Hence the need for high growth (marine based) protein.

Some brothers have been using marubeni with excellent growth results. The downside from their experience is that beni expands too rapidly and therefore has a stretched appearance. Another downside reported was some koi started gulping...which may be a precursor to sinking decease. So once more, use sparingly.

Sakai Hi growth sinking (wheatgerm) is in my humble opinion the best food available. However its cost is almost unbearable for a daily diet, and is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.
    Agreed that we shouldn't overfeed our kois, but then again what is the right feed???
  • megatronmegatron April 2011
    Yes. Bro Shukri. That's a good question. What is the right amount? A same pond where we have hungry koi and less hungry koi. One may continue to eat and another maybe slower than others. That's why you may get one koi with big belly and compared to the rest. So, in general, what is the right amount of food can our koi consume per meal? Please share!
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Post edited by megatron at 2011-04-14 12:30:12 am
    my feeding routine is:
    morning: 5 tablespoons
    afternoon: 7 tablespoons
    night: 6 tablespoons.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-04-14 12:30:43 am
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Since I am new to this hobby, I will share what I have learnt. I am always open to new suggestions.

From what many experienced hobbyists told me when i started out - feed them only as much as they can finish in 10 minutes. You will then get the hang of how much to feed at each meal time.
    My current feeding regime :
    1. 7am - floating wheatgerm
    2. 8.30am - sinking growth
    3. 7ishPM - floating wheatgerm
    4. 9/10/11/12 or whatever time after that - sinking color

I havent changed this routine very much since starting. However, there are always exceptions. For eg :
    1. Wheatgerm only for 2 weeks.
    2. Color 60%/70% for 1 week
    3. High Growth Only for 3-4 days.
    4. Non feeding for 3-4 days after 4 weeks heavy feeding.

Generally I feed between 300-500gms per day. Kind regards.
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Personally, I don't give time limits for my koi. Some koi are shy eaters, and if I impose a time limit (some even say 2 minutes), some koi will get nothing to eat at all. Brother David's feed time (the major one at night) can last as long as an hour. The speed at which the koi eat also depends on the competition for food. The more heavily stocked ponds may see the koi finishing the food faster. I am not very heavily stocked, so my koi take longer to finish the food. Every pond is different, so don't use fixed time limits. After a while, we can tell whether the koi have appetite for more or none at all. Play by ear.
  • AnuarAnuar April 2011
    Bro Kaaj,

I have heard a few experienced keepers also suggested to split the different type of pellets at different meal, like what you are doing to ensure fair distribution of the mix. Due to storage issue, I am currently mixing all of them together, only started this very recently. If not mistaken, in your past posting, you used to do the same. Have you noticed any difference in the practice, i.e. split vs mixed?

Thanks.
    i decided to get Hikari staple. purchased a 5kg bag yesterday. uncle Paul, i too dont give time limits............but after an hour or so, i net the excess food out. :)
  • AnuarAnuar April 2011
    Little CA, Uncle Paul's pond is not a typical hobbyist's pond. Most of us have established roughly how much our pond filter can handle, i.e. my pond can only handle upto 300 gm per day. Anything exceeding the threshold, the water will be impacted, i.e. becomes thick, floating pooh, smells, DOC, etc.

I think one hour of feeding is just way too much for a typical pond. Just my view.

Regards.
    What? Got excess food floating? No such thing in my pond.......... :-D
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Bang shukri and I once discussed that sometimes, we leave the SS up, and just chuck floating food into the pond before going to work ;)

LOL...yeah i can imagine the look of horror on some of your faces ;) But what the hoot....
    uncle Shukri, nah usually got no excess food...just excess pooh.....haha
  • masonmason April 2011
    All Brothers...
    Here is my kois regemie :

My 50 tons with 18kois Auto feeding time .
    Pallets : Primo plus 50% color up 50% . sinking food

Tuesday to saturday
    Breakfast
    1st . 7.30am spread 12sec (about 30+ gm)
    2nd .8.00am spread 12sec
    3rd . 8.30am spread 15sec(about 50+gm)

Lunch
    4th . 1.30pm 15sec
    5th . 2.15pm 15sec

Dinner
    6th . 6.30pm 15sec
    7th . 6.45pm 15sec
    8th . 7.15pm 15sec
    9th . 7.45pm 15sec
    ------------------------------
    Total about 500 gm per day

Sunday stop feeding . wash filter chamber + onitaji refresh add in

Monday hand feeding FD Supplement floating
    Post edited by mason at 2011-04-15 02:49:08 am
  • SHLimSHLim April 2011
    Hi New to this forum.
    I used to feed my koi floating food only when I am around, once in morning and evening. Sometimes once a day. The kois looks thin especially bottom feeder. Bought a small(only medium size pallet) autofeeder (by Velda), put in the sinking food, set feeding to 5 to 7 times a day, at small portion,(food include Saki Hikari growth-50% and color-20% and 30% of FD primo plus).
    The kois really grow, especially the bottom feeder kois. Still feeding the floating food when I am around.

My koi in oct 2010
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/2544/fish 30 oct 2010 049.jpg

Same koi in Apr 2011
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/2545/yamabuki Apr 2011.jpg
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    A very warm welcome, Bro Lim. I think your koi bulked up because of 3 reasons -
    1. You're using good food (I like FD PrimoPlus, but quite expensive).
    2. You're feeding sinking food - koi are natural bottom feeders (mouths are after all located at the bottom) and will eat more when fed sinking food.
    3. You switched from a couple of big feeds to multiple smaller feeds. For smaller koi (under 3 years old), feeding multiple small feeds is better for growth. Personally, I find that a 3 hour interval is optimum. Big fish need to be fed less often.

Cheers,
    Paul
  • jayt49jayt49 April 2011
    hi to all bros here, can someone advise me on feeding. I'm currently feeding my kois hikari wheatgerm and saki hikai growth. would mixing the food by percentage be better or alternate months? hope someone can recommend and explain their choice.
  • KaajKaaj April 2011
    Hi Jay,
    Recommended you should feed wheatgerm and growth seperately. The reason is quite simple :
    1. You are able to determine exactly how much in percentage you are feeding. Eg. 200gms daily feed - 70% wheatgerm 30% growth = 140gms wheatgerm/60gms growth.
    2. Some koi are not very good eaters. So you want to ensure they get both types of food.
    3. You can choose which times of day to feed what.

Hope this helps.
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Those who attended the Asia Koi Show would have noticed Kyorin's booth, particularly their new range of products, one for color, while the other is for shiroji. I didn't bother to ask much, and had thought that the dealers would be carrying them soon. But the dealers do not seem to carry them.

Anyone knows where to get them?

Alternatively, what other type of food do you recommend to improve shiroji? The reason I asked is because I have been feeding 100% Hikari Color for the past 2 months and some of my kois are literally yellow. Would prolong color feeding make this more permanent?

I have tried Nobori which seems to work, but is there any other more potent alternative? I need to finish up my Hikari Color stock first (estimated another 3-4 weeks) to reduce storage as I also others that I have not manage to finish.

Anybody with similar circumstance? I remember reading Bro Shukri once fed Saki Hikari Color for 3 months. Bro, did you manage to whiten the shiroji?

Thanks.
  • snowlionsnowlion June 2011
    Brudder Anuar,

Saki Hikari has a new product. Saki Hikari Super White.
    Saw this in Singapore's Arofanatic koi and goldfish forum and at recent Aquarama 2011.

Please see at link http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465247

Moderator, please forgive me if I have done something wrong in above act.

Thanks
    Jerome Ng
  • farikfarik June 2011
    Bro Anuar,
    I did have a chat with them during the Asia cup,you can buy it at their main office which is in Shah Alam near the Shah Alam Lake. I'm not sure which Section in Shah Alam as I'm v poor with directions.If I'm not mistaken they were from Xian Leng Aquarium.v big in fish breeding and export. The Saki hikari white is v expensive is to be given in a short term for whitening effect.Price was around rm 700+ a bag of either 2kg or 5kg.Didn't bother as it is too expensive for me....Try it and give us the feedback bro...
  • cookcpucookcpu June 2011
    Bro Anuar,

Normally, after using 1 packet of color food. I will buy Hi silk 21 sweet potato to get back the whiteness. But now it seem very hard to get this brand in Singapore.

Or you can try Momotaro food to reduce the yellowness on the koi shiroji. IMHO.
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Dear bros, :0&
    This is what I was told/saw when I went to SA. Maybe it can help U some how.
    They cut an orange in quarters and put it to float in the pond twice a week, for vitamin c supplement. Apparently the Koi sack on it until only the skin remains.
    They also give their Koi boiled sweet potatoes, lettuce and molasses or honey.
    They say Koi love sweet potatoes.
    Koi food here is almost US50 per kg. It is just too much for me. In SA food is 50c per kg.
    I cook for my Koi. And in SA I asked one of the judges if it is OK. They said it is perfect.
    I also saw a picture in dainichi koi farm. They have 2 very large wood stoves and they cook the food for their Koi on them.
    So this is what I cook.
    A pot full of vegetables like spinach and some other leaf vegies. By the time they get boiling they will be 1/4 in the pot (shrank)
    I add in a frozen packet of sardines
    and 1 kg chicken liver.
    when it is boiled for 10 min I add water and maize meal or any other cereal.
    it becomes very thick.
    2-3 eggs on the end to hold it together
    and when cool some vitamins, and paprika and garlic.
    pat it flat freeze and put in deep freezer. break into chanks.
    I feed it frozen and it drops on the bottom.
    I had my Koi grow to 32+cm in 5 month from spawning date.

• farikfarik June 2011
    Hi sis Neli,
    wow...such healthy food....homecooked some more....your kois are lucky.... when I first started out also tried all sorts of receipe.... but sometimes he,he...lazy.... just throw in pallets... but the downside....pocket with a big hole... thanx for the receipe....will try it out one of these days.
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    Bro Jerome, thanks, that's the one I was referring to. I took a leaflet from their booth during the Asia Show and when I reached home noticed that there was no local tel no, nor dealers address, sigh...

Bro Farik, I hope you are joking on the price... I might as well get me SK2 and treat my own face, I'll be happier with the result. I'll pass the baton to our Bro Kaaj who enjoys experimenting with food. Bro Kaaj, you upto the challenge? :-))

Bro William, thanks for the tips..will try soon. I happened to be somewhere near a dealer in the afternoon and just got me Hikari Wheat Germ... another bag of koi food in the collection... sigh, now I wonder how long I will be able to exhaust all of them, still have FD Primo, Excel, Marubeni, and the Saki Color...

Sis Neli... ^:)^
    Bro Anuar,

You are most welcomed!

I nearly rolled over my chair when i saw your preferance for SK2 :-)) :-)) :-))
    You are always so serious...sorry no offence here..

You taught me how to laugh at myself...

Jerome Ng
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    Bro Jerome, very hard to swallow lah looking at the price... actually what I meant was I would only try it one day when I have a GC contender... hahaha. Very unsuitable for my tosai tikam collection. Likewise, no hope also if I started using SK2 - probably better to invest in something to bring back my head sumi - this one must ask Bro Shukri....hahaha

Anyway, tried the Hikari WheatGerm, threw in 2 cups a while back and no transition required, the kois seem to love them immediately.

Talking about wheat germ, I have seen a few discussions stating that wheat germ is unsuitable for our warm climate..., i.e. doesnt help much with growth. Probably good if mixed with other non wheat germ feed but not solely.

Any comment Bros?

• JamesJames June 2011
    Bro Anuar, I have a huge bag of the new Hikari White, 20kg sinking type but not started to feed kois with it yet. Like u I still have FD Primo Plus (floating and sinking), Saki-Hikari Super Growth (which were prizes for BIS), Marubeni Hi Growth and Sakai Sinking colour. This concoction of food costs a BIG BIG bomb.

I have tried the Momotaro feed. And although supposedly improves shiroji I found no effect. This food is not cheap too.
    Brudder Anuar,
    Yeah RM700 for 2kg is out of this world....
    There must be something that suites your Tikum Tosais.

Did not know that you have premature whitening of hairs?
    Lots of white hair, is alot better than little or no black hair.

Do not know in details about wheatgerm...only know that many food has them inside.

Cheers
    Jerome Ng
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Guys, I am sure the Hikari Super White is expensive, but don't think it costs RM700 for 2kgs. I dun think I would have bought if it were at that price!
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin June 2011
    r u guys referring to the new products? saki hikari shiroji/beni maintenance ? get info by hikari 15kg cost around RM1K+
    Post edited by JoshuaChin at 2011-06-16 08:13:01 am
    Seriously, saki hikari white is really that expensive..15kg cost RM1k is around S$500.

If every month feed this food, I rather install a chiller and the electricity bill for the chiller won't cost S$500 a month.
  • lautslauts June 2011
    Guys ,

Sharing a comment from another forum on food by JR. Basically he suggested to supplement with fresh food, we all know that storage and mass manufacturing has impacted food quality. We are not getting what we paid for. For example Vit C , i soak the food in effervescent tablet and some multivits. High protein content can also be deceiving , some proteins are not digestible by kois.

ts

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3384/JR-Protein fresh.gif
  • KaajKaaj June 2011
    Bro Anuar,
    If you want white skin, then this is the best thing to do. My secret.

Use :
    A) new nivea whitening body lotion for female koi .
    B) For male koi you must use the new nivea Hydra IQ.

Here is how you do it.
    1. Remove koi and put into decent sized bowl/tank
    2. Remove nivea whitening from package.
    3. Apply 10ml onto fingertip of right hand.
    4. With left hand, tilt koi sideways
    5. Apply the product on the shiroji of the koi only (applying onto sumi and beni will cause luster to deteriorate)
    6. After applying the lotion, wrap the koi in a cold towel. (the pores of the skin will then close shut and trap the lotion)
    7. Give 2 shots of Irish whiskey to the koi (Scotch doesnt work as well).
    8. Put the koi back in to the pond and watch it swim sideways.
    9. Now you drink 5 shots of premium brand single malt whiskey.
    10. Miraculously the koi's shiroji will appear whiter.....

Total cost -
    1. nivea products (100ml) - rm 150.00
    2. irish whiskey (750ml) - rm 150.00
    3. single malt (750ml) - rm 180.00
    Total - RM 480.00 for superb shiroji

Here is my nivea enhanced babe ;)

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/3388/nivea%20whitening%20koi.JPG

Cheers :)
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2011-06-17 12:40:38 am
  • JamesJames June 2011
    Bro Kaaj, I apply sun block too to keep it white always.
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) good one
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    I take mine out of the water, then i put it in a air conditioned room with total darkness. Then when i put it back in the water, oh damn, its not breathing :O :-D
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-06-17 04:37:51 am
  • heng84heng84 June 2011
    what is a full white koi called? i accidentally soaked mine kohaku with clorox beni all gone
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Knotty boys
  • DanleeDanlee June 2011
    I hope the new koi hobbyists do not take this seriously.. If not, we have a lot of koi swimming back to Japan leh... hehe
    Bro Dan,

Luckily, I read this forum before I try to pour clorex into my pond so that the koi will turn whiter than white.... :-))

• PH8PH8 June 2011
    Bro Heng, all-white koi is called shiromuji.
  • lautslauts June 2011
    Aiyo Kaaj and guys ,

A joke meh ??
    I was abt to try SKII , got Pitera or watla , works better for Asian skin , i am told by the counter lady ;;)

>:-) >:-)
    ts
  • megatronmegatron June 2011
    Aiyo.....I just bought a bottle of SK II whitening.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • lautslauts June 2011
    Bro Daniel ,

Now have to try on girlfriend's face loh. Or your own face , we metrosexual men ok wan.
    When you look like AngMoh then we know it works :-)) :-))

ts
  • boykoiboykoi June 2011
    has anyone tried this chinese koi food called aquamaster?i have tried the hi-growth and color for more than a month now and i am happy with the results.tosais at 4cm/month growth and beni thickening up after previous hi-protein diet stretched them a bit
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    I wanted to try.
  • KaajKaaj June 2011
    But seriously....

Some advanced hobbyists have suggested that after heavy color feeding, to salt the pond/tank to whiten the skin. I have never done this, so I do not know whether it works, the level of salinity required, or if there are any repercussions. Hopefully someone can step forward and share their experience.

• ChengAunChengAun October 2011
    Does Whetgerm help with growth?

as I understand some hobbyists say yes some say no. some say the only way is protein. But Hikari WG has only 32%min. protein
  • DanleeDanlee October 2011
    Bro Kaaj,

I managed to try out the salt therapy recently after the wonderful tip from Bro James. What I did was to first bring the salinity level to 0.7% and then gradually drop the level to 0.0%.

Here are the before and after pictures of my salt therapy experiment. FYI.. these 2 koi have been fed heavily with colour food together with my other koi in my pond.

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn471/danlee18/SeijuroShirosalttreatmentBA.jpg

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn471/danlee18/SeijuroSHowasalttreatmentBA.jpg

As you can see , the shiroji has improved tremendously. FYI,, I used to do it from 0,5% and the improvement is not that apparent.

However, as you can see from the second picture, the hi has thinned a fair bit for the Seijuro Showa. Maybe it could be caused by too sudden a change in salt level. My advice is not to change the salinity level (whether up or down) too quickly. The guideline should be 0.1% per day so it would not be too stressful for the koi.

p/s: Please use this therapy at your own risk... hehe
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    Heng84, and your koi still alive??? %-(
  • JamesJames October 2011
    Bro Dan, supposed to be a secret, but now out in the open... :-)) :O

Here's another trick! How to have koi turn yellowish so that they are in the process of consolidating beni?
    Post edited by James at 2011-10-06 05:00:52 am
  • heng84heng84 October 2011
    hahah bro shukri my koi still alive la.. thanks for the tips on salt therapy im gonna try it.. but lower dosage maybe 0.5%? but my pond heavily exposed to sunlight do i have to be afraid it robs my oxygen level? cos my pond temp is between high 29.XC -30.XC
  • mrkoimrkoi October 2011
    Hi bro Daniel,

How long it takes to gradually lower the salinity level from 0.7% until 0.0%
  • DanleeDanlee October 2011
    Bro Mrkoi,

I did it over 3-4 days which is really not advisable. That could explain why the hi of my Seijuro Showa thinned slightly. You should try to lower by 0.1% per day, so it should be over 6-7 days.
  • KaajKaaj October 2011
    Bro Dan,
    Nice nice :) I suspect it is not adviceable to do it over such a short period. As you said - 6/7 days sounds less likely to cause stress.

Good maybe to do before shows.
  • mrkoimrkoi October 2011
    Bro Dan,

thank you for sharing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership