How to fast push out sumi in head area
  • MichaelMichael April 2011
    Hi all koi's lovers,i'm newbies here n hope can learn more about koi's in this forum :) .Just bought a 27cm showa but the sumi in the head area haven come out :-( ,any sifu's have solution here?

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9030/kindai20showa201modifie.jpg

Post edited by Michael at 2011-04-03 04:32:04 am
  • jayt49jayt49 April 2011
    refresh powder or hard water can help with the sumi. :D
    Hi Bro jay49,thanks for ur fast feedback,but how to know the water is hard or soft type :/

• ChengAunChengAun April 2011
    by measuring TDS you can tell if water is hard or soft.....also the umi in the head may not appear if it has bad genes.....it might turn out to look like a sanke :0
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Bro Michael, from my little experience, beni develops from front to back but sumi tends to develop from back to front. So often for shiros and showas, the head sumi will typically develop last. So be patient, no need to rush anything, let it come naturally.
  • DAVIDSOONDAVIDSOON April 2011
    Hi Michael ,

Care to tell me more about your avatar Champion Kohaku ?

David Soon
    The Best is Yet to Come .
  • jayt49jayt49 April 2011
    shifu David, well spotted!
    Thanks for ur feedback Bro CA n Bro PH8 (handshake) .Bro David,sorry to tell u that my avatar kohaku I found it at internet so donno anything about this koi :"> .pai seh..

Post edited by Michael at 2011-04-02 07:54:17 am
  • MichaelMichael May 2011
    My showa sumi at head area fade day by day...haiz....

[IMG]http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7996/08052011003modified.jpg[/IMG]

Post edited by Michael at 2011-05-17 12:59:21 am
  • DanleeDanlee May 2011
    Bro Michael.

You really do not know how showa is going to turn up. That's why many hobbyist like to raise showa from tosai. There is just a lot of excitement seeing them change and transform along the way. I am not too worry about sumi fading in showa. The chance of it coming back and consolidate is very high. You can see how my Maruyama Showa head sumi transform along the way. All the best to your showa.

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/2840/Showa%20sumi%20development.jpg
    Post edited by Danlee at 2011-05-17 02:24:51 am
  • hsleehslee May 2011
    same problem happened on two of my shiro. I've tried to raise the TDS by adding a mixture of bentonite and kusuri clay since three weeks ago, unfortunately till today i have not seen any improvement on the sumi, but spotted an ulcer on one of my Shiro and one showa is parking at on corner (sweat) (sweat) ..... can i actually add two type of clay at the same time ? my TDS readings fluctuate from 500ppm to 1000ppm. will over adding of clay do any harm to the koi ?
    Post edited by hslee at 2011-05-17 04:13:49 am
  • PH8PH8 May 2011
    Bro Lee, the simple answer is No. Lots of clay in mud ponds, not harmful at all to koi. In fact good for koi. Ulcers are due to high bacterial levels in the water (over-stocking is a common reason for this, but not the only possible cause). Nothing to do with clay.
  • DAVIDSOONDAVIDSOON May 2011
    On Bentonite , Kasuri Clay or even the finest .... Refresh Powder , I hope guys using such substance understand the rationale behind using all these substances . These are substances that are used to cluster "litters" or fines in our case , and that's how the water can look polished . The application is easy , but after each application , you're supposed to rid them from your system and not leave them for weeks . The fines will be clustered all over your filteration system , and in the end , they become sludge and these sludge in turn becomes your most toxic pollutants as they settled all over your system , and these sludge become haven for unwelcomed parasites as well as aeromonas . So ... be careful with what you wished for .... :)

I used lots of Refresh Powder , but it's normally administered a day or two before my filteration is cleansed and washed and even if you intend to adminsiter these substance over an extended period of time , at least the daily flushing will help reduce the sludge clumps but over a period of time , the whole filteration still need to be thoroughly cleanse and washed . Hope this help .

David
    The Best is Yet to Come .
    Post edited by DAVIDSOON at 2011-05-17 07:12:39 am
  • hsleehslee May 2011
    thanks david and ph8 for the input.....
  • MichaelMichael May 2011
    Bro Danlee,thanks for ur input :),will be patient to wait n see the sumi spread out (rock)

Post edited by Michael at 2011-05-17 09:03:43 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership