Momotaro Bacteria House Waterfall
  • eugeneeugene August 2013
    Hi, was wondering whether anybody has used the MBH filter media in their waterfall/water feature in their pond?
    I am debating about installing a Bakki Shower but it really looks unsightly. So anyways I bought a few pieces of the famed MBH filter media and placed it in my waterfall ie where the water splashes before it enters the pond.

My question is will this function "kinda" like a Bakki Shower?

Thanks for reading!

Gene
  • ChengAunChengAun August 2013
    Should be okay, might not function like a bakki shower in terms of aeration, but it should be okay for additional filtering purposes. Mind you, although heavily debated, I believe it's not the media that makes the bakki shower different from say, a trickle filter, it's the flow rate.
    Here in this video, you will note in @andysitt 's waterfall there is BHM or similar placed there.

Cheers!
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Hi ChengAun,

I don't really need extra aeration just the extra filtration provided by the BHM. I heard about it's Far IR properties where fish supposedly love it and will "play" underneath the water which has passed through BHMs! :) Anyway, What do you mean about the flowrate? Is there a specific formula for effective Bakki Shower performance? I'm not sure what's the turnaround time for my pumps - have never measured the rate at which the pumps recycle the water/hour.

Thanks for the link - I believe he (Andy) must have at least 100 kg of BHM which is like around RM 8-9k in today's prices!! Does he have a conventional filter for the pond or just that?

I've attached a pic of my pond's waterfall "BHM Experiment" - started with 5 kg and it's sure expensive! RM 420 for only 6 miserable pieces! I hope to add more if I see encouraging results! :)

Gene

koianswers.com/discussion/download/13805/IMG_4316.jpg
    Attachments
    IMG_4316.jpg 103K
  • frostbitezfrostbitez August 2013
    plz share if its makes difference or not bro since i'm about getting it too
    thx
    han
    Personally, while I do believe that BHM is a great filter media, it's not a miracle media with magical properties, personally I think there's no harm putting a few there, but it may not help much, maybe a bit. It's a better go to have adequate bio media in your chamber filter more importantly. :)
  • smokersmoker August 2013
    I agree with Bro CA.
    CA,

I've been steadily adding in Aquaclay, Bio Crystal, Bio Rings (Ceramic type) ever since I was told that coral media wasn't too good for the fish. So i chucked out all my coral media and have been steadily building up my filter media. I've also noticed that since I stopped using two UV @36W bulbs (using one only now @36 W), my water isn't as "crystal clear" as before.

So instead of using more UV, I've been exploring other ways of improving the water quality such as the aforementioned filter medias as well as this "BHM experiment".
    Coral media is not used as a biological media, usually it's mainly for buffering the water to maintain a steady pH level, some do say that it can cause hikue to happen on the koi because it retains dirt easier. I do suggest that you use UV lights cause' especially if exposed to sunlight, UV lights are the only way to kill algae cells and keep the water clear.
    I don't have algae problem in my bakki shower only pond, but likely because it's shaded, not because of the filter or media that I use (I have no UV) . If algae is not the problem and the water is not clear maybe due to solids, then also try to improve the mechanical chamber too.
    And lastly, of course as koi keepers, we always try to experiment to improve the water quality, so keep trying of course, and share us the results. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership