flushing
  • jangjang August 2013
    guys, how often do you flush and wash your mechanical filters? bio filter? :) is it safe to wash the bio filters as it will distract the good bacteria?
    Post edited by jang at 2013-08-21 10:22:58 am
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar August 2013
    HI Jang,

It's advisable to wash and clean mechanical filter on daily basis.

Bio filter not necessary to be washed, just soak in pond water to remove the dirts and put back in pond :)
  • kominatokominato August 2013
    Wjoa...lazy me only flush very small amount like 1-2% every othet day and clean foltets like once in 2/3 months.. Dont follow my example..
  • jangjang August 2013
    @Bthineshkumar: im washing my mechanical filter weekly. lol.. cant do weekly since i have work. lift and spray all the brushes to remove the debris. bio filter, didnt do any washing at all nor soak the medias. is that okay? so that it ont disturb the bacterias.
  • kominatokominato August 2013
    Monitor your water...esp build up of nitrates and ammonia.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar August 2013
    Hi Jang,

Washing of mechanical filters depends on stocking rate and feeding rate. Higher the stocking and feeding, mechanical filter need to be cleaned more frequently. Lower stocking rate and feeding rate (most likely not), lesser cleaning of mechanical filters. If you don't clean regularly despite your high stocking, water TDS would increase and in long run, the quality of your koi would go down and bad bacteria would bloom and attack your kois.

Bio filter actually is a place for your bacteria in the pond to settle down and bloom. Matured pond has high bacteria in the entire pond. Bio filter also act as mechanical filters, means it also traps lots of debris. IMHO, just soak and wash your bio filter once a month using pond water to remove the debris and 2/3 months once jet wash your bio filter. Don't feed your kois for a week. Your filters would kick start in no time.

Gud luck

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership