Changing filter media
  • jayt49jayt49 March 2011
    Hi, I've using coral chips for slightly over a year and was thinking of changing into oyster shells and to put them into crates. currently the coral chips are in bags and i realise they tear easily.

would it be recommended that i change all of the coral chips to oyster shells at once or do i have to do it in batches? all experienced bros here please kindly advise. thanks.
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2011
    if your corals are the main bio media, then change in batches. if its just a ph buffer, then you can change all at once.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • jayt49jayt49 March 2011
    hmm. i only have j-mats, coral chips and UV steriliser in my filter system. so which step should i take?
  • AnuarAnuar March 2011
    I dumped all my coral chips and replaced them with oyster shells at one go. As CA mentioned, if the coral chips have been used to colonize the good bacteria, you may see some effect on ammonia and nitrite. In my case, the coral chips were placed at the last chamber and were relatively clean and there was no intention to use them as bio media.
  • DanleeDanlee March 2011
    It all depends on what you use your coral chips for. Is it mainly used as bio media or PH buffer. If it is used only as PH buffer (like in Bro Anuar's case), then you can replace all with Oyster shells. If it is used mainly as bio media, then you need to consider replacing most of them with another bio media like j-mats, bio ring, crystal bio etc and some with oyster shells.

I used to have coral chips as my main bio media (just trusted my pond contractor's recommendation when I first started the hobby) and it has caused me a lot of pain (ulcer, dropsy etc) especially when I do not wash my filter often. I have since replaced all of them with j-mats, bio ring and some oyster shells and my water has improved tremendously.
  • kennywankennywan June 2011
    All my J-Mats are in the disintegrate condition and needed to be replaced in the next filter chamber cleaning. Planning is to replace them with honeycomb J-mat and seeking help from koi brothers here on picturial instructions on the building them.
  • lautslauts June 2011
    Bro Kenny,

J mat disintegrate ?? Do you wash them often ? Or are they the China variety ? i note some of mine was more than 10 yrs old , there was one piece that didn't last more than 2 yrs . Imitation J mat ... ?
  • StevieStevie June 2011
    Hi TS,

How to know if it is made in China or of quality? I paid high price but still it come loose after 1 year in the covered filter chamber.

One thing for sure if it is often expose to sun it disintegrates faster.

Where to buy good quality one?
    Bro TS,

You are absolutely right. There are many quality out there. Mine are properly low quality and imitation, because during pond start-up negotiated for the lowest price totally ignorance of many qualities out there. Any idea how much the real stuff and where to source?
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    I have both in my chambers, the china ones and the supposedly made in Japan ones which is blue in color. The china ones have been disintegrated and I am using them horizontally to literally block the flow of water, meant as mechanical filtration. The japan ones are still holding tough. Must be careful in handling the Japanese ones because the material is rough and sharp.

I got both from Atari. They also carry matala matt and another japanese branded matt which is black in color. The Japanese made ones are reflected in the price.

Any brothers wouldn't mind sharing the making honey-comb J-mats? Beside blue color is there other way to distinguish the real and imitation?
  • lautslauts June 2011
    Bros ,

The japanese ones are more rough and sharp as Bro Anuar put it. Really got to trust the place where you get them. My one that disintegrate was also blue in colour , and less compact, thinner.

ts
    Bro TS,

To add on, if paying Jap price maybe should ask for warranty?
  • AnuarAnuar June 2011
    To be honest, I cannot tell if it is made in Japan. But it is obviously much harder to bend, and cost about double of the normal green/blue china matt. I cut mine into 2' x 3' and it is able to stand on its own without support. And it is easier to clean also.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership