Aquaphonics with koi pond
  • JemaeJemae August 2013
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone tried this before. My waterfall reservoir is about 6x4 feet in 8" water level. No fish in there, thinking of starting aquaphonics in there. At least i got fresh veggie.

Thanks
  • HDCuHDCu August 2013
    I do not advise doing aquaponics and koi unless you separate both water system. If you choose to grow a fresh veggie thru aquaponics, do keep in mind that medicine for kois treatment should not mix with veggie for human consumption.

A big no-no would be to treat dimilin or organophospate to get rid of argulus but since argulus eggs can attach to plant roots, you would also need to treat the water in the veggie.

You can do aquaponics with no worry though as long as the water is not recycle back to the pond.
  • gracygracy August 2013
    Hi bro HDCu,
    I'm starting my aquaponics by using some small plastic pot with some grow bayam on the top of my external filter. This filter is for growing good bacterial purpose. I have a 5 ton koi pond and the bayam really growed well with my koi's poo .... Now I'm starting using a 6ft X 3ft FGT to grow my vegie but this is just an early stage. I do consider of if there's any need of koi treatment then I'll disconnect the incoming water fr the main pond.

I'm a newbie here and I hope that I can learn more from this koi discussion forum as I do love my koi fish but what if we gv it a try as it is really a waste of 10% water drain out everyday plus with some std filter clean up process .

There's a disadvantage of it will be due to the human consumption that's why I wouldn't use any color enhancement to feed my koi. And for koi treatment like dimilin or others can I assume that what if we stop suppling pond water during the treatment and then continue after the recovery with few times of water changing, will this be better than we consume the vegetable from the treat of the grown hormone and chemical fertilizer ? I do grow some vegie from my own and been tested by using the grown hormone and the natural way by animal manure. Both result r very much different !

I do wish that we can share more opinion and discussion about this topic to understand the risk and the benefit we can get fr this koi fish aquaponics. I'm here to learn from all the koi sifus.
  • HDCuHDCu August 2013
    Hi Gracy,

You have to realize that there is a disadvatage with combining a veggie filter with a koi pond.

Because you have a small pond and a high stocking ratio, your plants in a small FGT will not be sufficient to absorb the excess nitrates and phosphates and DOC as such you will still be forced to change water as this would be the easiest way to dilute the polution in the water. Now assuming you made enough water change to really clean your water and try your best to maintain very good water to improvemthe skin quality and growth of your kois, your then starve your veggie filter of enough fertilizer for them to grow well. One needs to find a balance of which among the two, either the kois or the veggies take importance.

Assuming your koi needs to be treated by malchite and formalin or salt because parasites exist in your pond. If you isolate the veggie filter you do not terminate all the parasites because once you connect the veggie filter there is a chance parasites will be back. The same problems also with regards to bad bacteria and argulus which loves to spawn their eggs on the plants.

• gracygracy August 2013
    Thanks bro HDCu !
    Usually for aquaponics will no need to add new water but not for me.
    I do still maintain 10% of water changing daily n also wash my filter. I just use the waste water for one more step benefit to my Vegie. Yes, u r right when comes to choose which side should be more important then must be my koi fish is the most important choose.

Assuming for incoming bacteria or parasite, I'll definetly will treat my fish as my first choice. My plan will be I'll disconnect the incoming water fr the pond n terminate all the Vegie plant then sock the FGT tank will very high solution sea salt for weeks. Can this be able to vanish all the bad bacteria or argulus eggs as well ?
  • HDCuHDCu August 2013
    Hi Gracy,

If you are doing regular water change already. I dont see any point connecting the veggie filter with your koi pond. It would be better to separate both so you can manipulate the water requirement for your kois and for your veggies.
  • lautslauts August 2013
    case of have your cake an eat it too. When you find your plants doing really well, then your kois will suffer. Your plants needs high nitrate which harm your kois. You can have a few potted plants and they do resonably well to beautify the pond. But not sure abt planting for food veges, you may use the waste water for irrigation but aquaponics will be tough. Had a water fall runway full of plants and lots of work associated, gave up for the better water.

ts
  • gracygracy August 2013
    Thanks again bro HDCu n bro lauts !
    I'll be monitoring the nitrate contents in my pond which bro lauts concern.
    So war I'm still not seeing any effect fr my koi fella but I really hope that nothing is going to happen to them. As my aquaponics hv been running ill be observe it for next step. Will share my result up to date with sifus.
    Btw, can sifus teach me how to adjust my photo so that I can attach it in this forum ? As I kept on facing the uploaded file was too big. Thanks in advance !
  • lautslauts August 2013
    Levels of nitrate below 20 is good , below 40 ok. When you see your plants NOT fluorishing then you can see water low in nitrate and is good ;-) . use any those pict manager to resize and cut pict to below 200K , should be ok then.

ts
  • gracygracy August 2013
    Terima kasih bro lauts ....
    here's my first trial bayam grown fr my koi's gift !www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13527/IMG_3269 (149x200).jpg
    :-D :) :-))
  • JemaeJemae August 2013
    Well, raya is over, a good read guys. Ditched the idea, i love my koi more than veggie. Put some kiambang, ( dunno whats the english name for it) . They were flourishing like mad in the waterfall reservoir, some manage to jump into the pond, the koi love the root, but then the water looks like it lost it's shimmer. Maybe got to ditched the kiambang too. The potted plants are growing well..
  • ChengAunChengAun August 2013
    As a tip of advice, most people will advise you not to put plants in the koi pond for a number of reasons, eg: may bring parasites, koi will eat them. Although some do argue that it's good to put some in places where the koi can't reach, such as you stated the waterfall reservoir to absorb excess nitrite after the filtration process. (Kiambang in English is water lettuce by the way.) And relating to aquaponics, I used to have a system (seperate from koi pond) so I suggest you get a cheaper fish like common goldfish or tilapia, they're better for aquaponics systems as opposed to koi. Cheers.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • JemaeJemae August 2013
    Thanks. I have since taken out all the "water lettuce,:)". The water quality looks better, plus adjusting the skimmer. Maybe i'll put potted plants in the reservoir.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership