• WaKoiWaKoi August 2013
    I'm fairly new to koi and one of our koi is either sick or has injured itself. It is a golden koi but in the last day its entire back has turned red, included fins. I wasn't able to get a picture but it is just lying on the bottom. Looks like it is having problems swimming when she does move her back half. Has anyone seen this before or have a guess as to what might have happened and what I should do? I will try and get a picture if she comes out, I'm not wanting to chase her around the pond at this point to get a picture.

Thanks!!
  • kominatokominato August 2013
    Isolate it first.
  • MfwleeMfwlee August 2013
    Whenever you have a koi in obvious signs of distress, and you want to limit risk to the rest of your pond - you need to net it for isolation. This will allow you a much closer investigation to arrive at a remedy while at the same time give the rest of your fish a chance to avoid the same predicament.
    Koi normally do not suddenly get into problems - these generally build up over days and you should have been able to track it. Have you had a recent storm or lightning in your area ? Any leakage of electricity in your pond ?
    Mike Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership