Keeping Midgets in check
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    All ponds are susceptible to Midgets infestation. Some ponds are more severe than others. Dimillin, Masoten, Parasite Killer can temporary kill the bloodworms (which are the larvae). I found out that periodic spraying the filter chambers with 'water based' insecticides are also effective to combat the nuissance Midgets. Regular cleaning of the filter chambers also help.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • etanoetano October 2010
    Bro spraying filter chambers with insecticides? Are you sure about this?
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    I remember Shukri was using a solution call Parasite Killer. Infact I used it before and it was great but the midgets keeps coming back after several weeks. 1 way I found effective was using lots of hiblows in the filter chamber.. the turbulence seems to reduce the midgets. I also bought MidgeX but found it ineffective.

Jeff from Arowana uses lots (hundreds) of guppy in his pond.. Midge free...

Post edited by AndySitt at 2010-10-06 06:45:04 am
  • DanleeDanlee October 2010
    Bro Shukri,

I do find a lot of bloodworm in my filter lately. Should I be concerned?
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    If there are no midgets flying by the thousands around the pond and the house, there is no issue.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership