Any ideas on how to construct a 6' wide, 14' long and 2'6" high Koi pond?
  • sonnyvoonsonnyvoon July 2013
    I wanted to start to rear Koi fish and I have a spare area which is about
    6' wide, 14' long and 2'6" high area where I intend to rear the fish.
    Any ideas how to start?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    Welcome to the forum bro.

The length for the proposed area is ok, but the width is kind of short. 2.6" high? Are you planning to build above ground? Where are you from bro?
    No, the width is 6 feet. The height is limited to 2' 6". I intend to have overflow at 2', is that ok? Yes, I plan to build the pond above ground. I stay in a bungalow and I have seen my friend using the blue fibreglass tank, measuring 8' X 3.5' X 2'. The Koi are just beautiful. Thanks brother. I am from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. The land below the wind. I intend to build a concrete pond with tiles inside and outside for ease of maintenance. Hope you can help.
  • MfwleeMfwlee July 2013
    Sonny - 2 1/2 feet deep with overflow at 2 feet is very shallow for good koi husbandry. If Since you are already going to all the expenses and time, and have committed a reasonably large space ( 14 feet x 6 feet ), try to get another couple of feet.
    My small pond is 2 1/2 feet above the ground ( overflow 2 feet ), with another 3 1/2 feet underground. This has been adequate for more than 12 years.
    Also since you are going above ground, try to consider a gravity flow system for your filters - they give much clearer water.
    As for the inside of the pond - it will get dark green / black regardless of what you do. In fact, there will come a time when you give up scrubbing the tiles everyday - and hope that they will quickly pick up healthy algae so that they do not look spotty and messy - and Dark Green / black will set off your beautiful koi nicely !

Welcome to the hobby ! :)
    Mike Lee
    Hi Mike - Thanks for the tips. I have a corner in my bungalow with the measurement. Only that I am not sure the depth of the pond. I don't want to dig up the place as it is right beside the house. Any other option? Yes, I intend to do gravity filters system and is seeking advices from some local expert here (not many though). Appreciate your tip on the inside of the pond. Yes, some of the ponds I visited turned up exactly what you described. Hopefully, will begin construction before the end of the month after much tips. Thanks again.
  • MfwleeMfwlee July 2013
    IMHO you will need to check with an engineer as to the additional weight you will be putting on your land - but having it right beside the house is not likely a problem.
    Mine was built by a friend and it adjoins my sitting room wall. He used concrete blocks and the normal metal rod frames, plus a dampness insulating sheeting between the pond wall and the house wall before he put in the concrete blocks.
    It has been bullet proof for the last 12 years and I suspect that it could probably double up as a bomb shelter if the need ever arose !
    Best of luck in your new hobby !
    Mike Lee
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    Agree with bro Mike,

2 1/2 feet definitely not enough. Furthermore, tiles would be a real pain during cleaning.
    Bro Sonny, my advice
    1) 2 1/2 feet above ground, two feet below ground
    2) 6' X 10' pond dimension,
    3) 6' X 3' Filter dimension (4 chamber)
    4) 6' X 1' Dry chamber
    5) Water return opposite side of filter (river flow)
    6) 2 surface skimmer
    Pls refer photo below (sorry, not so high tech :p )

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13350/image.jpeg
    Gud luck bro :)
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2013-07-13 12:01:01 pm
    Attachments
    image.jpeg 47K
  • kominatokominato July 2013
    Another disadvantage of having a high wall above ground is that you cant see thw kois from some distance. ..you will need to come next to pond to see down at kois.
  • MfwleeMfwlee July 2013
    " Another disadvantage of having a high wall above ground is that you cant see the kois from some distance. "

Yes, there will always be trade offs in most of the things that we do. On the other side of the coin, my fathers flush with the ground pond is located in an open area in his large garden, and we had endless problems of garden debris entering it whenever the wind blew. Together with the soil brought in by the rain, the pond was constantly in need of attention until I raised the level with a one foot wall. It is now much more easier to upkeep, and we still get to see the fish as they normally cruise just below the surface.

At one time he even actually had unwelcome visitors in the form of monitor lizards as well. The short wall, and his 3 dogs soon settled this problem.
    Mike Lee
  • andysiaandysia July 2013
    Just to share my experience on pond wall. Previously I had my pond wall exactly at ground level. Lot of problems, i.e. lots of debris & leaves ended up on pond water surface, koi are also scared of people bcos of viewing angle.

I raised my pond wall by about 1ft+ last month. Instantly experienced lots of benefits, i.e. clearer water surface (no more debris from strong wind), fish also no longer scared of people, pond wall also serves as sitting place during evening time for koi viewing :) ... More importantly my pond now holds 30% more water (hence excuse for more koi) :-D

• EddyEddy July 2013
    Hi Andysia, I'm thinking to raise my pond wall to holds more water but I worry it will leak at the joint. Mind to share how you do waterproofing? Thanks
    Hi Eddy!

For the elevated portion, iron rods were placed in between the sand brick (drilled into existing pond wall) to strengthen the pond structure. Previous layer of cement plaster (existing wall) was hacked and all the walls (elevated + existing) re-plaster again. I forgot which waterproof chemical I used (will find out from my pond worker for you) but its for pond use (not the normal big blue tong from hardware shop). Finally re-painted with back epoxy paint for the interior.
  • EddyEddy July 2013
    Noted, thank you so much for your info bro Andysia. Btw, have many layers of black epoxy paint?
    I only painted a single layer ... so far so good bro ... happy with the fact that pond volume increased while my kois are not scared of people anymore!
    Wow,
    Thanks for all the input. Yes, I had consulted a friend of mine who is an engineer and he said if my water level is only 2 ft high, 14' long and 6' wide, it should not be a problem. His advice is to welded a metal frame, using 1.5" (1.6mm thick) angle bar as reinforcement and using red bricks with plastering on both side with water proofing compound and then using water proofing liner to line the inside of the pond and tilings, etc on the outside accordingly. Any further suggestions? Please note that digging is not an option. Another friend of mine suggest building a massive aquarium? I have some 9mm thick glasses (gifts from some contractor friend) where I can use. Is this feasible?
  • lamthyelamthye July 2013
    Reinforced concrete grade 40 with mesh. Final coat with fosroc nitocote EP405. Indoor holding 15 tonne.
  • ray2kray2k July 2013
    What size is the BRC netting for the side wall? Looks small. Maybe ask your engineer friend to check.
    I am impressed. Yes, all the suggestions are exactly what the engineer
    recommended. TQ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership