Koi Husbandry tips
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    Hi All,

As I had crossed some good tips on Koi Husbandry, I would like to share here and get tips from other sifu's as well :)

Bro @HDCu said:
    1. avoiding the noisy rubber circular diffuser that produce big bubbles. (If you still use this, try going underwater and see how long you can handle before your eardrum hurts.)
    2. I dont net nor transport nor introduce a new koi if I dont fast first
    3. I dont feed too much most of the time nor feed protein higher than 45 percent.. A koi fed too much becomes lazy and prefers to stay at the bottom afterwards. Instead I now rely more on feed conversion ratio. For immediate girth for koi show, I just feed FD gain instead of pumping other feeds which are less effective.
    4. I feed high quality feed. Not all feeds are created equally nor consistenly
    5. I always soak now the feed with lacto bacilli to help in digestion
    6. I avoid pond depths of more than 1.8 meter. I do think now my next pond design will be just max at 1.5m at the deepest.
    7. I let koi rest (without feeding) for at least 10 hours
    8. I occassionally fast the koi and will not fast for a month in a year especially for the bigger kois
    9. I try my best to provide the best koi water environment
    10. I try to provide the highest possible aeration to help in digestion
    Bro @HDCu ,
    As for #7, do you mean the gap between the last meal and the first meal?
  • HDCuHDCu July 2013
    Yes I meant the last and first meal of the day.

As koi get older their intestines become longer as well. Younger kois can be fed at shorten intervals as less as two hours. They are also more active. Bigger kois especially those that are less actively swimming( more evident in smaller surface area ponds) would have a longer digestion period. You would notice if you let the koi rest longer between feed in effect you accomplish three things. One is very minimal waste is excreted by kois during start of feeding time again because gut and intestine are empty, thereby creating a more urgency for the kois to eat again. Second, the longer interval allows your filter to produce better quality water which is good for the koi during feeding time again. Third, the rest allows the koi to sleep and rest and build mass instead thru converting what they have eaten for growth.

BTW, number 8 should read "will fast for a month" and this applies to nisais above and not to tosais which are less prone to swim bladder.

Again this are just my observation and belief and not meant to influence others who may disagree.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2013-07-05 03:26:42 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    HDCu,
    At least you have a regime to follow.............
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    BTW, just to share that my pond is 6ft deep (within the range that HDCu has said), and my kois do not have swimming bladder or related problems.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro HDCu,

Thanks for the clarification and guidance
    <blockquote rel="Shukri">BTW, just to share that my pond is 6ft deep (within the range that HDCu has said), and my kois do not have swimming bladder or related problems.</blockquote>

Yes. I heard from Mr Ryuuki of Narita said something similar. He's also planning for his future ponds depths of 1.5 m to 1.8 m max.
    Other points which tought to me by Sifu's,

11) Daily back wash/ clean sieves to clear solids. Try to clean solids as soon as possible from ponds
    12) Keep pond temp below 30 C. Maintaining at 24-25 c is the best but only possible with chiller in our environment.
    13) Fast all kois weekly once: to avoid pot belly and for the well being of the koi
    14) Do not over feed color food
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2013-07-05 04:03:51 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    As for me, nowadays, I do not feed kaw kaw anymore! I have learned to let the fishes to grow at their own pace............
    Post edited by Shukri at 2013-07-05 04:34:33 pm
  • Ivanlo24Ivanlo24 July 2013
    Dear Sifus, may I know which air stone is being referred to in item 1? Also what would u guys recommend?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership