Need Help To Identify This Parasite & Solution
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    Hi and salam to all sifu & koikichis,

Need your kind assistance to identify this parasite that have been causing headache to me & my fish in this few weeks...This thing was all over the pond wall near the water surface & it's still alive even when I dose Mr.koimedic & Dimilin...should I use neguvon or PP to combat those parasite? any help are very much appreciated...thanks in advance!

Regards,
    KolamP

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13250/20130618_130831.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13251/20130618_130824.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13252/20130620_151807.jpg
  • lautslauts July 2013
    Bro,

How does it affect your kois ? Do you see it attached to the kois? Looks like egg sack while another pict looks like a leech. Bad news if leech bro. Anyway i see a lot of these leech type creatures on my filter chamber pipes, no harm to kois.

ts
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    Thanks bro lamthye & lauts for your kind reply.

Bro Lauts,
    I don't see any of them attach to the kois but notice few of my bigger kois start flashing few weeks ago and that's when I got panicked! Now after few rounds of medication, all the kois seems back to normal but those parasites or leeches was still there...

From my close observation, it does looks like leeches as bro Lauts mentioned...size bout 1.5-3 BU heheh....how bad is this leech to our pond bro Lauts?
  • lautslauts July 2013
    Not sure if these are leeches . But those on my filter chambers moves like leeches . No harm to my kois and they have been there long time years ago. I think something else causes the flashing in your kois bro kolamp, now resolved with meds. So these guys are not causing any harm like those in my chamber .

ts
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    <blockquote rel="lauts">Not sure if these are leeches . But those on my filter chambers moves like leeches . No harm to my kois and they have been there long time years ago. I think something else causes the flashing in your kois bro kolamp, now resolved with meds. So these guys are not causing any harm like those in my chamber .

ts </blockquote>

Bro Lauts,
    Yes bro Lauts I suspect the flashing caused by something else than this coz the leeches was still alive in my pond even after the kois stop flashing....to my newbie eyes, it does resemble like leeches, until experts can confirm it....

Anybody knows where to get the Masoten Powder? Might give it a try to get rid of this parasites.

• harryyewharryyew July 2013
    Blood worms? No?
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2013
    It might be bloodworm like HY said if the size is around 1-2cm
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • lautslauts July 2013
    Not bloodworms , black in colour and no wavy movement bros.
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    Bro harryyew and harry_luhur,
    I don't think its blood worm as I have blood worm in my filter chamber & it doesn't look like it...this is more transparent to light brownish color, much bigger than blood worm & it attach to the side wall using its sucker which I never saw any blood worm behave like this...
  • lautslauts July 2013
    Bro Kolamp,

Since the insects are not causing any issues to the koi , just leave it la rather than risk injuring/stressing the kois with Masoten. Also dangerous to humans bro.
    They form part of pond ecosystem so live with it la (Y) Maybe can add some small tropicals like angels , loaches extra dessert for them , ecologically friendly ma.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2013-07-02 01:32:05 pm
    Good afternoon Bro kolamp

hmm.......

I attached here 3 pics..... does anyone of this best match what you physically see in your pond.....

pic 1
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13255/Black fly larva-Simulium tuberosum.jpg

pic 2
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13256/Flies.3.jpg

pic3
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13257/Flies.5.jpg

I think it is most probably a midge larvae which is a type of small aquatic fly species. They are similar to blood worms, but don't take on the classic red coloration. Simulium tuberous?

Let us try to narrow it down with diagram below......

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13259/pondkey jpeg.jpg

Why not you catch a few it and bottle it up and see how it matures out to be....

Cheers
  • lautslauts July 2013
    Bro,

Pict 1 very cool , even has ears like Yoda's . Playing detective again i see :-D

ts
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    It does look like yoda :-)) :-))
    Good day bros....

hehehe...... no lah..... I also want to know mah.....

It could have happen to me leh...
    who do I go to...... koianswer loh.... hehehe...

Cheers
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    Hi Kolamp,
    It looks like from the leech family to me........these are the micro type.

I highly recommend that you go and get praziquental, and dose your pond with it. I will PM you where you can get it. The dosage of Prazi in Hadaclean is too low I think to kill these parasites. Go and get the 100% one.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2013-07-02 02:34:01 pm
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    Good day bro harryyew, lauts, TK and Shukri,

Thank you so much again for your opinion & reply...highly appreciate of it very much...

bro lauts,
    If its an insect larvae, I would leave it as it is since it won't disturb my kois...my main concern is if it is leech species, I need to get rid of it as it'll disturb the kois sooner or later....I really hope that it is an insect or midge larvae but looks like it much resemble leech family...

Bro harryyew,
    Comparing my pics to your 3 pics, it doesn't resemble any of it but looking at your pond diagram below, it does looks like leech since it doesn't have head and segmented body rather than plain, flat body like flatworm....Tried to pick up a few but it breaks apart...

Bro Shukri,
    I also read that sunfish can control this leech...is it sunfish=tilapia? :/
    huh.....

Like this type? both ends got suckers?

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13261/midge-larvae.jpg

Cheers
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    Sun fish is from the Chidlid family but not actually Tilapia.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Good morning Bro kolamp

3 more pics for you to choose to best match your visualisation of the real thing....

pic 1(Flatworm)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13266/Flatworm.jpg

pic 2 (Leeches)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13267/Leeches.jpg

pic 3 (Bristleworm)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/13268/Bristleworm.jpg

So how?

Cheers
    Leeches (Bloodsucker)

Appearance:

1) Wormlike, flattened and segmented body
    2) Body stretches and changes length
    3) Tear-shaped body when contracted and shortened
    4) Suckers are located on the underside at each end
    5) The larger sucker is located at the back
    6) Dark-coloured with bands, stripes or spots

Behaviour:

1) Swims gracefully with an up-an-down dolphin kick
    2) Generally moves by inching or looping forward end-to-end with its suckers
    3) The upraised front-end "looks" for a place to attach
    4) Avoids light

Bristle worm

Appearance:

1) Resembles a small, thin earthworm
    2) Pink, red, brown or tan colour
    3) No legs or antennae
    4) Internal organs can be seen through a thin body wall
    5) Short hairs (bristles) on each segment are not visible to the unaided eye

Behavior

1) Uncoil, stretch and push

• lautslauts July 2013
    Guess what ,

Wanted to get a pict of the said insect , none could be found anywhere. Did not medicate anything. Makes me think, this is seasonal bro. After all larvae hatched , no more la. Not leeches

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership