What is the best medication/treatment for ulcers
  • AnuarAnuar January 2011
    Hi guys,

One of my kois developed ulcer and I think it is at an advanced stage. This morning I did my first antibiotic jab and found the whole procedure to be very stressful, for me and the koi. Thereafter I applied iodine on the wound but am unsure whether it was effective as it would have probably diluted in the water.

For the benefit of others and myself, can you share how you treat kois for ulcer. I watched capt's video but for the less advanced hobbyist, is there any medication that work as effective without the need of antibiotic jab?

The koi is now in the qt, and I also added biotope to the main pond as I had suspected aeromonas is blossoming. For the rest, i think it is good if we can inspect the kois individually at this time of the year.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Anuar at 2011-01-22 03:48:57 pm
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2011
    Bro Anuar,

I wish I can drop by to your place but I have to work in a few hours. Antibiotic injection will be very good for faster healing. Of course it will take some practice sessions before jabbing becomes easy.
    I will use Blagdon Anti Ulcer and for the first application, I will use PP. While recovering, I will use iodine. You need to dry up the affected area using cloth or tissue and apply iodine for less then 10sec to sanitize. The iodine will instantly kills the germs. If you really want to cover the iodine application, you can use propolis. Drop or apply propolis on the affected area and wait for 5-10 sec and after that drop a few drops of water on it for the propolis to form a protective layer. I did post a video on this procedure on the other thread together with the injection video.

Normally while treating the koi in the QT, I will make partial water change daily but I hv tried using Viva Koi and the water para is good for at least a week. So you can safely apply the dosage as per the instruction(which nothing is mentioned about water change).

To apply PP, there are two ways either to apply with high concentration or mild. For serious or advance ulcer I will use high concentration which is to pat the affected area with cloth and apply small amount of dry PP onto it. The PP and the damp area on the body will form a high concentration PP and it will caused the skin to look like burned. This will really kills all the germs on that area. For minor cut, bum spot or injury, I will use mild PP by applying mixture of PP and a drop of water. This is something like liquid PP.

Of course for best result, at least jab the koi for 3 days(or more if needed). The rest is just waiting for the koi to recover. So far I hv 100% recovery on this method. If mouth ulcer, you got to treat it fast to avoid deformation of the lip. Without the antibiotic jab, I believe the koi will recover but it will take longer time and the ulcer might get worst before it starts to recover.

For the pond, so far I hv used Malachite Green for initial stage or if only one or two kois affected. But for serious problem, I will go for the Misaki Anti Parasite or Anti Bacteria or both. I hv not used Biotope before but I heard it is good.

Good luck bro.
  • Dr_RahimDr_Rahim January 2011
    Bro Anuar,
    Bro Zain is the right person. All my kois are under his care. Call them ulcers , rotten ,cipeks or you name it , he has the answers and the way to do it.
    Regards,
    Dr_Rahim ( Dr.Peter )
  • Dr_RahimDr_Rahim January 2011
    sucess rate more than 80% if not too advance.......
    Regards,
    Dr_Rahim ( Dr.Peter )
    Thanks Capt, Doc, I agree that jabbing the koi is the best. Actually I was very nervous earlier as I had thought that I have overdosed the affected koi with transmore. The koi was very weak after the ordeal, and kept on lying on her side in the qt. Thank God she looked okay now. Jabbing will be my last option. I think I had gotten the hang of jabbing but the transmore application is the toughest part.

I will do another round of jabbing tomorrow, wish me luck + will also apply PP topically on the affected area as suggested. I don't have the Blagdon anti ulcer but is currently salting the qt to 0.50%. I also added the beneficial bacteria to the qt filter + AN Remover (like the one used by Bro Alan), hopefully to reduce the toxin in the pond.

Regards.
  • yysim88yysim88 January 2011
    Bro Anuar, the antibiotic injection is still the best. It should not be too hard after a few practices. All the best.
    Bro Alan, yes getting the hang of it. Changed the needle to larger size and it is getting easier. But still getting nervous during the transmore application (sweat)
    Just an update, the showa is not looking so good - almost gone case. A lesson to all, don't underestimate ulcers. Gave 3 doses of Romikacin and applied pp directly onto the wasted area last week (probably too much). Yesterday noticed the development of dropsy, gave another shot of Romikacin (after 4 days from previous treatment), today dropsy started to develop on the upper body. Just treated with Blagdon anti-ulcer as my last attempt. The tub mates are also not looking so good, a male shiro with the beginning of fin rot has also started developing ulcer on the lower body while my showa (if you guys remembered the one with the slit tail fin) also started developing reddening of fin.
    My own diagnosis of what went wrong:

1. Did not monitor water quality in the qt - 450 litres for 3 kois (a 50 cm and 2 x 60 cm), maybe way too small for them.
    2. Late in spotting the ulcer

I will also start feeding anti-bacteria food. Jeff gave some yellow powder to be mixed with the food. Will also give another jab with higher dosage on Monday - was told that Romikacin is powerful enough as single dosage? - anyone can confirm?.

Here's the photo of the ulcerous showa... (sweat) . There goes my one year of dream as the sumi has started to come up recently...

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1718/sick.jpg
    Attachments
    sick.jpg 65K
  • SengChoonSengChoon January 2011
    Bro,

My experience tells me that the fish has developed resistance towards Romikacin. Normally, by the time u gave third injection, you should be able to see improvements in the fish. I think you should use a stronger antibiotics if you dont see developments after the 2nd injection. You may try Amikacin or other stronger antibiotics. Alternatively, you may look for Enflosin, an oral solution, which you need to place the fish in for about 2-3 days. Its an antibiotics manufactured by YSP Industries.

One thing you need to ensure is to give adequate fresh water to the fish. It is advisable to change about 10-20% water daily in the QT. Hope it helps.
    Bro, sorry to hear about the dev. Personally I think you hv an issue on QT water quality. When the fish is not improving or getting worst after injecting, it must be the serounding that prevent it. You got to be careful esp when you plan to start feeding. Test the water bro. It can confirm what when wrong. In my QT, I only use 300L(up to 4 kois sometimes-mid size) but I changed water almost everyday around 30%. Only when I started using Viva Koi I only change once in 5 days.

Don't give up hope bro. Go for higher dosage or change to stronger antibiotic as bro Seng Choon suggestion. Good luck bro.
    Bro Anuar,

I think changing to another antibiotics is a good idea as the bacteria may have developed immunity towards romikacin. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as Cirpobay can be effective at times.

With the transmore application, just add it slowly in stages and the fish won't be hurt.

All the best.
    Post edited by yysim88 at 2011-01-29 05:34:40 pm
    Thank you Bro Seng Choon, Capt and Bro Alan, I think there was an error in the name of the antibiotic. The one given earlier should be linkomycin while the one that I just got is romikacin. Will try linkomycin tomorrow as the koi could probably have built resistance on linkomycin.

Not giving up yet, though I know that dropsy is a tough nut to crack.

Have a nice weekend.
  • ShukriShukri January 2011
    Hi Anuar & Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have commented on anything. I have been handling crisis at work, and it looked like things are not going to be solved. My contract term is coming to the end soon, and I will be taking some quality time off pretty soon. There are quite a number of concerned friends that have called me asking why I have not participated in the Forum or the previous Koi Show. Definitely it got nothing to do with the Show or this wonderful Forum. It is just too much on my plate to chew right now. To all concern, thank you so much. And Anuar, my apology for borrowing your discussion here.

Similar to Anuar, my kois also have had a bout against Ulcers and fin rot. In my busy schedule, I didnt have time to really monitor the condition of my kois or even the pond water. When I had realized what was happening, my 68 cm Oomo Showa already had ulcers and was at a very advance stage, with a few others infected plus at least three having mouth rot. At the end of the day, the Showa died, and I was able to saved the others.

My pond was infected with a Aeromonas and Pseudomonas that are immuned to Ciprofloxacin. Since this had happened, I will not use Ciprofloxacin for at least 12 months. Luckily, I had in my possession other antibiotics; namely Amikacin and another class of antibiotics called Cefoperazone. Even Romikacin proved to be ineffective.

In this situation of highly strained bacteria; 3 things need to be done simultaneously since the bacterias are in the water and in the koi body. Antibiotics needed to be injected into the koi to cater for internal bacteria, topical application to take care of the ulcer i.e. the open wound, and medication in the water to take care of the free swimming bacteria. I will address these 3 points, one by one.

At situations similar to my case, antibiotics injection is a must for acute internal bacteria infection. Even IM and IP technique proved to be inedequate at this stage of infestation. The administered antibiotics need to reach the infected area fast, so IV (Intra Veinus) injection is the way to go. You would need at least an inch of two needle for IV application.

And QT is a must. The affected kois need to be quarantined. I soaked these kois with Blagdon anti ulcer medication. I did this with 4 rounds of treatment with plenty of aeration. If you can get your hands on Enrofloxacin, alternatively you can use this. Or even Bifuran.

Conclusion, Amikacin is effective especially very effective against mouth rot. Cefoperazone is also very effective against Ulcers. For Topical application, I have used Bifuran (yellow in color) and/or the spray that I have gotten from up north i.e. with Thai wordings on the can. A paste of Malachite Green is also OK and is still better than applying PP as this should only be used as a last resort. What I have used to treat the pond water is a combination of 0.5% salt and 10 to 15 gram per ton of Oxytetracyline. If you are not a fan of salt for treatment, then you can combine OTC and the Japanese Yellow powder(which contain TC BTW). 1 or 2 sache per ton of water.

Highly strained Aeromonas and Pseudomonas is no joke! Once an antibiotics proved to be ineffective, after 3 injections (and you cannot see any physical improvement, switch to another one as this particular one does not work.) So, if you faced a similar situation to Anuar's or mine, please address the 3 items that I have addressed as per above. Hope that my two cents worth is beneficial to all. (rock)

Regards,
    Shukri

:"> :">
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2011-01-30 04:00:56 pm
  • JamesJames January 2011
    Bro Shukri, welcome back. Your absence was truly felt by many. But curiously, how do we prevent these bacteria strains in our ponds? I am getting a bit apprehensive with so many koi veterans affected. And with my koi coming back soon from all over into my new pond, is it more prone to these infections?
  • PH8PH8 January 2011
    Good to see you back, Abang Shukri. And another invaluable post. :) Was beginning to wonder if you had changed your mobile number!
    Bro Shukri,

I pray for the best ending to your crisis, and welcome back.

Thank you for putting things into perspective. Let me just recap for the benefit of others of what went wrong.

Probable cause - new fish with the beginning of mouth rot. Some people said the last show but I highly doubt it. I had spotted the mouth rot quite late and there was already a big open wound on the side of the mouth and some area was already wasted. Treated with blagdon anti fungus and bacteria and 3 rounds of linkomycin. I also applied iodine on the affected area and thereafter some pp. The fish is now recovering with improvement seen on the mouth area. She is back in the main pond.

Thereafter, my momo sanke passed on with dropsy, or rather overdosed with transmore. This happened during the shinkokai weekend, where I fed the main pond after a fasting period of about 10 days. This could have awakened the dormant aeromonas. When the fish came back from the show, I salted the pond back to 0.50 and slowly taper down to 0.30. As I was worried, I also applied biotope for 5 days.

My neighbor then spotted the ulcer on my Showa, bowled her up and saw deep wound on the lower side of the body. I then inspected all my kois and another two were spotted with fin rot. Transferred all of them to the qt. Injected the Showa 3 rounds. At this point of time, I did not check the water condition of the qtbut just added the bottled bacteria. She became worst and now had dropsy. One of the tub mate is now having ulcer also. The qt is now treated with blagdon anti ulcer. Capt had earlier pointed out about the water quality in qt which I think most of us always overlook.

The main pond looks okay, which I hope so. Yesterday I fed them with some yellow powder given by Jeff of Arowana. This morning I just changed about 35 pct of water, all of them looks okay. There is however no sign of improvement in the qt. I will change 50 pct of water in the qt tomorrow and apply for the second dose of blagdon anti ulcer. At this point in time, I will not administer further injections, as I will be going back to my wife' s home town for cny and will be away for a week. I pray for some miracle to happen during my absence.

As a learning point, I will now do the following:
    1. Stock up on antibiotics
    2. Monthly deworming as suggested by Jeff, I.e. Mix some powdered antibiotic with the kois feed.
    3. Visually try to inspect all my kois weekly.

To the rest who have not encountered ulcers, just be on the safe side. This thing is scary :-??

Good luck all.
    Bro Anuar, does that mean u r coming to Kuching? Pl call me on 019-8880031 and I will show u around.

Hope that yr fish will recover soon.

Bro. Shukri, welcome back. Pray that yr crisis at work is resolved by now.
    Post edited by yysim88 at 2011-01-30 08:00:58 pm
    Bro Alan, a bit shy to ask, worried of your schedule especially now it is cny. Glad that you invited if will call you when I arrived in Kuching. I am very hopeful to see your beautiful kois and your pond set up. I will arrive late tomorrow night, will call you :"> to check your schedule.

Bro Shukri, I encountered a work crisis in 2009 and came out of it a better person, and actually having a more meaningful life. Sounds a bit cliche but let me know if you are interested to hear my story.

Regards.
    I think all bros had their share of work crisis. I vividly remember my experience when a factory we were working with fully copied our product and design. That was a lot of money and effort down the drain and we had to re-design everything. But like bro anuar mentioned, we came back stronger and with much more enhanced products. In a way it was blessing in disguise. And the saying goes when a door closes, another window may be opened.
    Hi Bro Anuar, i will be absolutely free over the next 10 days. Can even fetch u from the airport. Just staying at home to spend some quality time with my family and the fish, hehe
    Post edited by yysim88 at 2011-01-30 08:02:47 pm
    Suddenly I wish my hometown was in Kuching. :-?
    Hi James, don't think u will even last a week here. Too quiet for big city folks like u..
    Bro Alan, u'll be surprised how boring I can b.... Lol. But nothing to do keep buying koi. That's the biggest danger!
    Bro Shukri,
    It's good to hear from you again. Honestly I tot you must be in your HQ in Europe. Hope everything will turn out well. Btw the kohaku which you helped me to pick may turned out to be female la ;-)

I guessed it's going to be koi party in Kuching :-D Bro Anuar, I do hope your kois will recover well after you come back. Don't be surprise, it might turn out well. Lately q a number of hobbyist having ulcer problems which I suspected from the "shopping season". As for me, I have started to quarantine my new kois with salt(equivalent to dealer's salinity level) and slowly reduced it to zero thru partial water changes and use Blagdon Anti Ulcer for 3 days. So total quarantine is slightly less than a week. So far so good. Don't know why, but salt and S1 seemed not good enough for quarantine these days anymore :-?
    Bro Alan, actually Kuching is like a second home to me, spent my early career days in Sarawak for 5 yrs, 3 yrs in Kuching and 2 yrs in bintulu. I also still keep in touch with a few. Pretty much know my way around,will call you to check on yr schedule, probably on Tuesday? Haha, I'll be spending my time putting on some extra kilos, sorry the kois at home won't be eating at all.
    Capt, actually I feel the same way. Previously s1 andsalt work wonders...
    In the west, their qt protocol is even much more stringent. Here, I' d normally quarantine at the dealer's place, or buy old fish - at least they have acclimatize to the weather. I don't think I will be buying new ones for a while... This ulcer really scare the s$&t out of me @-)
  • ShukriShukri February 2011
    Sorry bro Anuar that I am highjacking your thread here, but what I am saying here is relevant to your case and similar situation.

My fishes are all back to their normal self. Lesson learned is that whenever you see that there are something wrong with any of your kois e.g. parking, not eating, swimming not normal or not as usual, my advice is to quickly bowl the fish and do a physical inspection. If there are no physical signs, do a gill and/or a body swab and view under the microscope. Procrastination (like my case because I was busy) can be fatal i.e. it is too late to save your precious jewel.

A QT is a must for everyone. Without a QT, it is rather difficult to treat a diseased koi. Having to bowl a fish from the main pond is very stressful to a sick fish versus just having to bowl them from the QT.

When an antibiotics proved to be ineffective due to immune strain of Aeromonas or Pseudomonas, do not push it by prolonging the injection period or increase more dosages. Drop the antibiotics and go for the other kind. As in my case I will have to hold Cyprofloxacin for a period of 6 months to a year before I can use it again.

In acute ulceration of the body, use 4 rounds of treatment of Anti Ulcers Blagdon medication instead of the normal recommended 2 dosages i.e. 2 rounds of treatment. After this episode, I will try my level best not to use PP as a topical application as the situation has done more harm than good to the kois. Rubbing the effected ulceration area with salt is also good, but please exercise with caution as it will be painful for the kois having big ulcers.

To wipe out the free swimming bacterias in your pond, OTC and 0.5% of salt will be as good as it gets......

Also, for those that feed with Marubeni Hi Growth pellets (especially the sinking ones) please exercise with caution. We do not want our water to have high protein content that could inhibit the bloom of gram negative bacterias.

Cheers everyone.

In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • PONYPONY February 2011
    i get infomation better about ulcers . please come to my pond . not welcome LOL
    by the way ulcers not big problem if u can handle correct time
    ZNA East Thailand

• AnuarAnuar February 2011
    Just got back from my vacation late last night and decided to inspect all my kois. BTW, I am not sure whether this is morally correct, but I had actually released my sick showa into a public mud pond, fearing that she would be worst in my absence and will consequently affect her qt tub mates. Thank you to all brothers for the advices, the ulcer situation is in control I think.

Since it was damn hard trying to net the smaller ones for inspection, I might as well take their photos and put them here for sharing.

This is probably the smallest nisai (born in 2008) around. Dainichi Kokugyo at only 32 cm

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1819/kokugyo6feb.jpg
    The second one is a tancho showa that I got from Ben, measuring 17 cm

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1820/tancho6feb.jpg
    Next is the Seijuro Showa from Bro Elmen's GO at 16.5 cm. NOt sure whether this is a ginrin showa as the silver speckles are getting more.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1821/Seijuro6feb.jpg
    Next is a kindai showa from the last shinkokai breeder's auction at 22 cm.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1822/kindai6feb.jpg
    Also took a shot of my kondo kohaku, same oyagoi with Bro Deen's superb maruten kohaku, but at much smaller size at 48 cm.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1823/kondo6feb.jpg
  • JamesJames February 2011
    Bro Anuar, am looking forward to how your tancho Showa develops. It looks to b a good piece when the sumi consolidates. Did u get this before the show or after it won? It's grown 2cm in 1 month??
  • etanoetano February 2011
    Bro it is not a good idea to release any sick koi to public ponds or rivers. It will cause bio contamination which may wipe out all other inhibitants in more serious cases, and it is illegal to do so in more advanced countries. It is easy to put koi to sleep by overdosing transmore. Anyway, sorry to hear your problem and glad that the situation is in control.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
    Bro James, got if after she won, haha.

Bro Elmen, I would not have done if I were not leaving home for a week, was worried she would pass on and foul the water in the qt where there are a couple others. Very hard for me to put her down, and morally I think it would be relatively better if she was given a chance to recover in a mud pond. This particular pond has no ornamental fish that I know of with very muddy water. Anyway, there will not be a second one. You are right about bio-contamination.

The bout of ulcers are not over yet, at least in the qt, I think the main pond is okay though.
    Bro anuar, good pick.
    Thanks Bro James, I think too soon to make any judgement. The element of gambling is high in raising tosais. But for the price that I paid, it was definitely good value for money. Thank you again Ben and AKA Koi

• Denn7Denn7 February 2011
    Haha I was eyeing that Taniguchi auction showa piece too....lucky you got it am keen to see how it develops :).
    Bro Anuar, I think it's a good gamble. Bro Denn, u've got your eyes on too many koi.... Hahaha.
    Yah boy....only two yes better just zoom in on one....
    Huh? Still have eye on koi? U true hobbyist.
    Bro Denning, thanks for letting me have her, haha. Just for sharing, I attach herewith a photo of my showa which have since left my pond (the one with the serious ulcer). I thought she gave similar impression - flowery. I bought her as a tosai with very slight hint of sumi. A year later when the sumi has started to come out, disaster strike... what to do...
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1830/DSC_1610.jpg
    Yah boy they do share similarities....very sorry about the showa was beginning to bloom. The Taniguchi piece also has nice underlying sumi placement, and looks very female (even the vent very bulat - we curi tengok at the show). Fated to be with you lah bro...
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh February 2011
    Bro Anuar, what happen to the sumi pattern? lol
    Ben, you mean on the tancho Showa? Dunno leh, first time take photo mah, the one you took earlier too dark, cannot compare...
    Ben, your dad and yourself are sifus at conditioning koi for shows. That's why I think the sumi went down a bit after show when left to grow.
    Post edited by James at 2011-02-09 05:37:22 am
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1835/tanchp.JPG

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1820/tancho6feb.jpg
    Post edited by BenjaminGoh at 2011-02-09 05:26:25 am
    Attachments
    tanchp.JPG 89K
    Ben, now I understand... Honestly I cannot remember how the koi looked like in gentling, but I just got excited to see yr tancho Showa with a rounded tancho and decent sumi. Anyway, i am quite patient when it comes to waiting for sumi to come out again.

Thanks for posting the photo. It was also the highlight of my visit to genting when you offered the kois, I remember capt also got a couple from you, cannot remember the variety though. Was it a Showa and a kujaku?

Bro James, actually I tapau the tancho straight from the show. It was like a barter trade as I managed to sell one of my shiro during the show (too tired to pack all of them home especially the larger ones). so the sumi fading is definitely due to my water, probably too soft as I have been trying hard to improve the beni of my kohakus.
    Post edited by Anuar at 2011-02-09 06:45:08 am
    Capt got a shusui, ochiba and shiro..
  • yujian82yujian82 February 2011
    Bro Anuar,

Our Ben indeed has qualities of good businessman .... future koi tycoon the making ...
    Ya lor, it is good to have a hobbyist dealer, hopefully he will one day become Malaysia's own Ryuki, unless of course Sr wants him to become a doctor, or a vet probably?
    Bro Anuar, I think this tancho Showa will turn out to b a beauty. Ben, didn't Capt pick an asagi?
    He changed his mine.. Because of the red on the asagi belly..
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2011
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2011-02-10 07:42:24 am
    walao capt! what you feed to the shusui!? so fat already! LOL
    it looked better already!
    Hows the ochiba.. wanna see how it develop//
    Post edited by BenjaminGoh at 2011-02-10 07:56:35 am
    Hi everybody,
    Just gone thru this topic. What Ben was saying is right. Anyway managed to snap latest photo of the shusui. But I have forgotten how to attach the photos from the Flickers. My bad. I hv not post any photo for q sometimes. Hopefully someone can help me. Last time bro Andy helped me out.

Anyway, I am happy with the progress of this shusui. Currently feeding on wheatgerm and started adding in Viva Koi to the food about 3 weeks ago. It does bulked up in girth and length. Still not sure wx male or female. Hopefully got chance to turn up female as no indication of male so far.

The ochiba and the shiro are doing fine but no photo update yet. In general, I am satisfied getting or rather buying koi from tetagoi Ben. Another potential dealer in the making ;-)
    Aiyooooooo Ben, you are so quick!! Not yet finish writing you hv responded already. Sorry Ben, so far no photo update on the ochiba yet. Will post when I am in the chasing and catching mode.
    So far I fed the kois slow-slow esp the first 2 weeks as the ponds were put under high alert due to the koi show and new comers.
    Guess it was a good price for the shusui eh? hahahaha..
    I think can enter koi show one more time capt..
    Where are you now? flying off?
    At home. Going to Shanghai in 9 hrs. By the way, from which farm were the 3 kois coming from? Forgot oledi la Ben. Old oledi..
    After looking at the 2nd photo, yes the price is good :-D
    Got chance ah enter one more time? Wait and see lor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership