Bacteria Gill Disease (better known as BGD)
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    This is caused by bacteria, if left untreated, will lead to the fish fatality.
    Blagdon Ulcers is one of the medication used. The old way is to bath the affected koi in PP.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-02 09:23:15 pm
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    Bro Sukri,
    So far the best medication to fight this bacteria is copper. I have came across this problem once in my koi pond and it's really kill the koi fast.
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    Agree with you Aaron, BGD is bad news. Huuum, copper eh! I will keep this in mind.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • snowlionsnowlion October 2010
    Hi Guys!

Do you mean Copper Sulphate?

If so, this is an good Industrial Anti-parasite medication.
    It is blue in colour, and looks fine salt crytals.

Just completed a research with this, last week.
    Got to be careful with the dosage, not too sure for kois, but for Platy is 0.5ppm.
    Anything above, the fishes goes into shock.

I studied the Gill filaments under microscope, those treated with Copper Sulphate are clean. Those untreated ones have Gill Flukes.

Can someone try on cheap kois or explore and keep us posted on the safe dosage?

Just my two cents worth here.

Jerome
    Jerome,
    For gill flukes, you can use Praziquantel because it is proven.....
    I know that Copper Sulphate is being used to solve quite a few parasite and bacteria infections, but so far I have not used them.

I need to know the right dosage. You are quite correct that copper sulphate is blue in color. However we have to be careful of copper poisoning.
    Hi Shukri,
    Thanks for sharing.

Praziquantel is quite difficult to obtain in Singapore.
    Distributors are reluctant to sell to non-licensed individuals like me.

You are right, Copper poisoning is fatal to fishes when over dosed.
    Can someone help us with the correct dosage for kois?
    Jerome,
    You can actually order PRAZI from the Internet. I did it several times before.
    In the old days, some people treat BGD with PP. They gave a 3 to 5 mins PP bath daily for a few days. I dont know what's the dosage of PP in the water for such purposes.
    Just to share.........
    For short bath 10ppm in below 3 minutes can do for ornamental fishes, longer duration( up to few days) 2-4ppm.

I use only 2ppm for my pond.

If PP over dose, use Hydrogen Peroxide to reverse. Hydrogen Peroxide at 17% concetration, 20ml for every tonne of water. Within 2 minutes, the whole pond should be crystal clear.

I use Hydrogen Peroxide alone, when my fishes flash...

Jerome
    Thanks for sharing your experience. This is what this Forum is for. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Shukri
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-09 02:09:42 am
    Abang Shukri,

You are most welcomed.
    Like to add for easier understand, 2 ppm equals to 2 grams of raw PP per tonne of water.

For 10 tonne, I need 20 gram of PP.

Hoped that I have help some Brudders and Sizters understand this measure.

Regards
    Jerome

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership