do i need to use oyster shell specifically?or i can use any other shells/bivalves?
  • dhoncavedhoncave January 2011
    do i need to use oyster shell specifically?or i can use any other shells/bivalves?...is there a study made on shells making oyster the most commonly use or it is just a tradition because it is what they use in japan.also where is the best place to place the shells?someone suggested it to me to put the shells in the bakki?...i need your advices in this guys,thanks.
    kois r us
    Post edited by dhoncave at 2011-01-11 04:12:02 pm
  • lautslauts January 2011
    Hi ,
    Oyster shell is prefered due to its thickness thus last longer. Also as it is less curvy , hence traps less waste so easier to clean. Basically shells of any kind are calcium carbonates , what we need to buffer vs pH drop.

Place the shell where water pass thro, polishing/shaving effect, the more water passing thro it the better. Normally pump chamber is good place also where it is cleanest. Bakki sounds like good place for shell buffers but not sure as it is not submerged in water ? Something to think abt and try out.

rgd
    ts

• ChengAunChengAun January 2011
    Dhon! WELCOME!!! Good to hear from you! i believe oyster shells are the best type of buffer.....coral can be used but it is VERY hard to clean so it's not recommended for use...
    using the shells in the bakki is perfect because not much dirt shud form if the pump and turnover rate is strong.....put the oyster shells in the last tier of the bakki. :)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • bibikoibibikoi January 2011
    U should consider corals sold by jeff tan of arowana aquariums. He stocks the big kind of corals and much better than those small ones we used to see at aquarium shops. Corals shed their bicarbonate faster than oyster shells
  • AndySittAndySitt January 2011
    I put my Oyster shells in my bakki as well and I find it better as the constant drip of water forces more bicarbonate into the water.. Also I find it easier to clean the shells in the bakki and I can mix some filter media on the bakki..
    Sam,

Any picts and prices ? The oysters are going abt Rm50 per 10kg in nettings. Problem with oysters are that they can be quite sharp at the edges as they are worn out so have to be careful when washing them. How do you conclude corals sheds bicarbs faster ??

ts
    lau, no pics... all in my chamber.... and can't remember the price... its not expensive...

if you pick up the corals, you will see its usually very powdery.... even after washing...
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin January 2011
    can get oyster shells for free in kk :)
    too many seafood restaurant here but dunno the shells can be use or not
  • dhoncavedhoncave January 2011
    thanks for the replies guys it is really a big help.although this leads me to another question,wouldn't too much bicarbonate be bad for the kois?are we going against first reason for the shells and corals just as "buffer" which means to buff the acid if it rises only.not as a constant source of bicarbonate even if the water is normal.
    kois r us
    Our water PH in a circulatory pond is not constant. As fishes excrete waste and ammonia, the PH level drops constantly and that's why the corals or shells help buffer this drop. U must get the balance right. Too much corals and the buold up of ur PH will be higher and the PH will rise, too little and the excretion plus acidic rain water will cause a PH crash. Plus some areas tap water has already low PH values
    Sam,

Agree with your observation of the corals. The inside part of the oyster , the shiny part does not dissolve , thats the sharp part. I do have some brick size coral rock picked up along beaches of PD in my pond too.

Dhoncave,

I don;t think you need to worry abt too much bicarb from shells. a safe measure is 2kg per tonne water which i am using , with good water changes and not very heavy feeding and current rain fall ( top up with soda occasionally) pH is maintained at 7.6. I am top up another 60kg to 3kg per tonne and doing away with soda. See how the pH hold.
    Sam is correct ,pH drop mainly comes from fish excrement and waste decay.

rgd
    ts

• RyantRyant July 2012
    when should i change my oyster shell? Do i need to change after 3 years ?
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Make sure to clean them occasionally to ensure they are effective. It works as long as there is contact between water and the carbonate content, don't expect it to work if surface is coated with scum and waste. How much is left of the oyster in weight ? Est of 2-3kg per tonne is good based on my experience.

ts
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Are we supposed to place the oyster shells pieces as a whole or crush them first?
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bros Andysitt and Sam, long time no hear from you guys?
    How's life treating you guys?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    Thanks for the information

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership