Sexing Kois by the feeding behavior and pattern
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    Can we actually sex the kois by merely looking at the way that they eat?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    I guess its difficult.. Theoretically males will snatch the food and then return to the bottom while female tends to eat non stop. Recently I've added some males to my pond and this particular male has a habit of snatch and go! This action causes a chain reaction where all the female will now suck the food and then rush to the bottom..
    I believe you should isolate the male to another tank or pond or fore go the male koi. Introduce one of your Karashi into the pond. I bet you that the Karashi will influence the others to eat like she does.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • etanoetano October 2010
    What Andy said is very true. If your pond has large number of male, your female koi will behave like a male very soon. This happens to mine. Most of fishes irregardless of sex will "snatch and go" except one or two pieces. Hence, I decided to use sinking pellets.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • DanleeDanlee October 2010
    I have the reverse... the 2 or 3 male koi I have eat like the rest of the female. Till today, I am still not sure whether my Ochiba is male or female. "He" looks and behaves exactly like a female. I suppose he could be bi-sexual as I have seen him chasing after female and other males chasing him as well. Here is the latest picture of my ochiba. Being from Oishi, his growth has actually slowed down and stagnant at 63cm for a periof of time. I am suprised he actually put on more girth and another 5cm after the Malaysian Koi Show.

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn471/danlee18/OishiOchiba68cm.jpg
    Hi bro,

Welcome aboard. Wow nice Ochiba... I did hear that Oishi doesn't really grow.. When Aaron came to my house this morning he was saying that my sakai male showa that seems to just eat and swim straight down was an active eater when it was in his pond. So I guess a lot depends on the pond condition as well.. and how crowded it is. In my smaller tosai pond, all the fish was active eater until I remove 10 fishes.. Now all the fish will only wait for the pallets to drop to the middle before they eat.. A karashi or chagoi definitely makes the difference as it act as the pack leader..
    Post edited by AndySitt at 2010-10-06 06:58:53 am
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    Hi Bro,
    You can see my koi eating behavior here:
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    Bro Aaron, I know now...The key is to keep many koi in the pond like a dealer pond and they all will fight for food! Just joking.... but tosai pond usually have feeding frenzy because there are large number of fishes there usually.
    Bro Daniel,

What a nice ochiba! What did he/she win in the show? Can't remember.

<blockquote rel="Danlee">I have the reverse... the 2 or 3 male koi I have eat like the rest of the female. Till today, I am still not sure whether my Ochiba is male or female. "He" looks and behaves exactly like a female. I suppose he could be bi-sexual as I have seen him chasing after female and other males chasing him as well. Here is the latest picture of my ochiba. Being from Oishi, his growth has actually slowed down and stagnant at 63cm for a periof of time. I am suprised he actually put on more girth and another 5cm after the Malaysian Koi Show.

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn471/danlee18/OishiOchiba68cm.jpg</blockquote>
    Wah bro Aaron I thought you sold off your fishes, still so many?? I guess the key is lots of fishes to fight for food...
    Bro Elmen,

He won 3rd place in 65BU size category, behind a very nice Doitsu Ochiba and Wong Hee Heng's Chagoi.
    Bro Daniel,
    Bulk up the size of this ochiba and it will win a big prize next show!
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    <blockquote rel="etano">Bro Aaron, I know now...The key is to keep many koi in the pond like a dealer pond and they all will fight for food! Just joking.... but tosai pond usually have feeding frenzy because there are large number of fishes there usually.</blockquote>
    Bro Elmen,
    As Klang gang always says " we are keeping fish, not water" Ha...ha , but it's not easy to maintain the water condition.
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    Bros, if you want to see feeding frenzy, just come over to my pond. he fishes are forever hungry......So is my water dirty? Definitely. Overcrowded? Definitely. Over feeding? Yeah, I sounded like Raymond Hew.
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN October 2010
    No lah Bro Shukri,...we Klang people don't have the word 'Overcrowding' in our vocab...wor...
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    Bro, welcome on board. Kat Klang aku dengar kau orang bubuh ikan lebih daripada air.....So how the Klang kaki?
  • dexterhongdexterhong October 2010
    <blockquote rel="AaronGoh">Hi Bro,
    You can see my koi eating behavior here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWptJGOfEFw</blockquote>

Hi Aaron,

Nice kois you've got there. Your water level is so high, aren't you worried the koi will jump out of the pond......

Dex
  • megatronmegatron October 2010
    To be frank, I always confused in sexing male and female koi by looking into their vent. Can anyone have some kind of drawing or picture to show the differences? :-()
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Aisay WSC, I thought by nature men overall are very good with their fingers......you touch the vent, you know already that it is ether male or female......

Let say if you pick up a decent size koi i.e. 60cm. Bowl the koi in the measuring tank, put some anaesthetic, when the koi is almost kong out, flip the fish over and look at the vent. If the vent is bulging with the flesh almost popping out e.g. very fleshy, this is a female. But if there is not flesh, the skin is being pulled in (you can actually see a hole), then this is a male vent. If you squeeze softly your fingers towards the vent, milt will come out through the vent thus a confirmed MALE.

I hope that helps, else someone here has pictures of the male and female vent.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-21 09:58:00 am
  • JamesJames October 2010
    But Bro Shukri, at 60cm, u either love the fish or hate the fish, sex doesn't matter anymore!! Sounds very much like life itself huh??
    You prefer the young one eh!........
  • JamesJames October 2010
    Prefer to be able to tell with the young one.....don't we all?? Eh! We talking bout koi or what??
    Bro Daniel Chew,

Typically, a male’s vent tends to be elongated or triangular in shape and sunken in whereas a female’s vent is more round and more protruding. Can you guess which one is male and which one is female in the attached picture (courtesy of Mark Gartner)?

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn471/danlee18/famaleLvsmaleR.jpg

From my experience, the above statement may not be totally accurate in smaller koi (30cm - 45cm). I have two koi with very protruding vents at about 40cm that turn out to be male. As they grew, you can see that the outer ring of the vent is still very protruding but the center of the vent has begin to sunk in a bit.

I also have koi with very round vent turn out to be male as well.. I suppose there is no 100% sure thing here.
    Bro. Dexter, Koi normally will not jump in a pond unless something is wrong...
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    Dexter, what bro Aaron has siad is very true. If everything is fine, they will not jump out.

So, have guess which one is male and which one is female.......
  • megatronmegatron October 2010
    Bro Shukri, I think I have better understanding now. So far I only use finger to touch the pectoral fin and gill plate. But when I look at an underage tosai, I always get confuse.

and....Bro Daniel Lee, thanks for the explanation and the picture says a thousand words. My guess is right upper top is male and left side is female.....emmmm!!!!
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Post edited by megatron at 2010-10-21 02:35:17 pm
    Bro WSC, you have passed with flying colors, but there are exceptions of course like the koi on the right side could remotely be female in the later stages and the one on the left could be male. As a rule of thumb, your observations are correct.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership