help! neighbours koi - one dead and two looking sick
  • oliversolivers May 2013
    My neighbour asked me to feed his koi while they are on holiday. Have been doing this carefully measuring the amount of food he said.

Yesterday one of the larger fish was dead (see photo). Removed it from tank.

Today a smaller koi has heavy damage to one fin and a greyish patch on its side but is swimming OK. Another medium size one is sluggish and appears to have damage to its mouth but fins are OK.

neighbour is due back Saturday.

Please can anyone advise me what to do? Local shop suggested malachite.

Thanks, Oliver (Cambridge UK).
    Attachments
    photo2.JPG 66K
  • MikelowMikelow May 2013
    Mate. I think better put to sleep easier for you and the koi.
    If you want try, maybe got to salt dip the koi or S1, and direct apply PP on infected area.
    But the process if possible to heal will be long.
    Hope this help.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar May 2013
    Bro Oliver,

IMHO, the infection has gone to critical stage.

You must stop feeding immediately. As you're from UK, not sure what are the available medication there. Pls advice what's available there.
    Most common available medication are yellow powder and salt. Do you know the pond volume? We will advice the dosage

Gud Luck
    thanks Bthineshkumar have stopped feeding.
    The pond is 2.6*5.3*1.7m= 23 400l.

Bad news is another fished died last night. Have found a local shop who specialize in koi and am going there ASAP.

Sorry to post another picture of dead fish. But in case it can save the others!
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12897/dead_koi2.JPG
    Attachments
    dead_koi2.JPG 134K
    nice guy in local shop who knew about koi looked at photos and recommended
    malachite. Have turned off the UV light and added the malachite as instructed.
    Hoping for success!
  • HDCuHDCu May 2013
    Sorry to see such lovely kois die from bacterial infections. I am in doubt that Malachite green will be effective.

All infected kois or kois with ulcers should already be injected with antibiotics. Filters (source of problems)must be cleaned thoroughly. readings of PH, ammonia, nitrites should be taken.
    HDCu thanks for your advice, will continue looking for a local koi expert to help!

Number 3 dead (two views here) another one sluggish.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12910/dead_koi3_view1.JPG
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12911/dead_koi3_view2.JPG
  • gerrygerry May 2013
    Wow... thats sad... :-(

Is there enough aeration for the kois? How is the temperature there?

Just trying to help find the root cause to this problem.

Can you take a pic of the whole pond so that we might be able to spot something?
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thanks for the help HDCu and gerry.

Have taken a water sample to a local aquatics shop. The report is:
    ammonia 0ppm
    nitrite 0.2ppm
    nitrate 1.0 ppm
    pH 7.2

So the nitrite is a bit high? Looking at http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/nitrite.php
    I have already stopped feeding. The UV lamp is currently turned off because of the malachite green. I will leave it off.

Have cleaned out a bucket full of algae from one of the filters. The other two with stones and plastic beads are complicated and I do not know what to do. No more fish are looking sick (one is still sluggish but hanging on). Neighbour returns on Saturday so will soon be able to sort the problem(s) properly.

Thanks again, Oliver
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    I am glad that the Forumers are able to assist Oliver........... (Y) Good job guys and gals alike.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership