Cleaning out an old pond
  • wasabi8888wasabi8888 April 2013
    Hi all

Need some advice from the sifus here.

I have a 6 tonne pond that I am going to empty and clean. This includes scrubbing the walls and a little bit of cementing (side of pond but facing the sky).

In this new set up, i will be buying new filters, adding aerators etc. I will be using 4 matala filters (Biostep 10) to run this pond.

Question:

1. I know a lil about new tank syndrome and not much about new pond syndrome. How many fishes should i add to start this going?

2. I will prob buy the bacteria start up and dose accordingly. and do water changes. How often do i need to do change water?

3. Is salt necessary?

Any other advice will be good.

Thanks

Jeffrey
    I read Idris thread with interest though i got lost at Point 11.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2013
    Bro, below my personal opinion:
    first PP the whole pond as this is old pond, at high dosage like 5g/ton. This to kill all unwanted bacteria to bloom
    Drain the whole pond

Refill and run for few days. Check pH and if below 8, it's ready to go

2 method: Either bro Idris method: Talapia method
    Or traditional method: Salt at 0.5% and release all ur kois
    Bacteria starter as necessory and water change as 15-20% daily, but. Maintain salinity at 0.5%
    Start feeding once all kois is normal but small feeding only.

During this process, check water parameters daily

Pond would settle down after 2 weeks

Gud luck bro :)
    great suggestion....

Traditional method seems ok... I hope the new filter will kick in soon
    Should I switch on the filter when i put in pp? I assume UV should be off right?
    Run your pump as usual for 2 days, and yes off UV as well :)
    thanks.... a lil scared frankly.. cos my kois are all newly purchased.. I have 4 waiting at the farm.. not sure whether that is enuff to cycle the pond.
    Bro
    Don't put ur kois at this level of pp. this level only for pond without fish. After run for two days, empty the entire pond and refill, anti cholorine, check pH and follow above procedure.

Looks like ur collection already overcrowding :-)) :-))
    put in test fish first. Don't put more than 6 till filter mature.
    Gud luck bro :)
    ya.. small pond... 4 should be fine for now.. but u r right.. i will put in the test fish.. the only problem is what to do with the test fish after the test...
  • gerrygerry April 2013
    Use tilapia as test fish.... after test have ikan bakar.... :-))
  • MfwleeMfwlee April 2013
    You will be starting with a sterile pond so be careful what you introduce into it. The cheaper the ( test ) fish, the higher the chances that they have not been properly quarantined.
    My preference ? - be a bit patient and wait for the water to stabilize. Slowly introduce your fish over a period of days rather than to dump in some el cheapos that may come with all kinds of nasties that they will leave in your clean pond.
    Mike Lee
    Hi Mfwlee,

Thanks for your sugggestion. I am also a little worried about the parasites that fishes can bring.

Can plants take the pp? I have 2 big water potted plants in there which is hard to remove. Will they survive the pp as recommended ie 5g/ton?
  • idrisidris April 2013
    my new method few month back very easy...

1. if you have waterproof back your pond, use vinegar and let the water running for a week
    2. drain all water and refill with fresh water..put anti chlorine and put few test fish just to assure water is good for fish
    3. salt your pond to 0.2-0.3%..
    4. put bacteria starter
    5. put koi as much as you want
    6. feed as much as you like
    7. change 20-25% water everyday and maintain salt at 0.2-0.3
    8. few days you will see N02 present..but dont worry the salt will handle it..
    9. As for the ammonia, water change will delude it's concentration...
    10. For all above process, please turn off your uv light...

this will stabalize your pond less than 2 weeks..

BTW, point eleven that u mention what was it? Maybe I could help elaborate more...

On the other part, what bro mike said regarding cheap fish is quite right..but it depends on yourself..I have successfully undergo that process with no sign of sickness or casualties to the kois as I doze the pond with kenkona before introduce kois...

Sometime doing new things will get objection from many people...I myself been advice by season hobbyist that what I did is totally wrong..but at last it succeeded..and FYI, the new process I told u as above myself and my sifu had successfully applied it...best of luck...
    Post edited by idris at 2013-04-21 10:54:40 pm
    Thanks Idris

Eh... i thought u used Tilapias for your new pond? Is the above method for another new pond?

• idrisidris April 2013
    Bro..just to make it clear..I complete my new pond by April 2012..that time I was using tilapia to face the so called new pond syndrome..then end of last year my pond leak because when doing maintenance, a big and heavy flower pot fall down into the pond and cause a crack and leak..have to empty the pond and repair..for that I have to handle the second new pond syndrome...above points is from the process I did when second NPS...
    ahhh... thanks for the explanation.. your second new pond syndrome seems easy enough to follow.. thanks again..
  • idrisidris April 2013
    But the key is water change..if u just dripping kois will get sick..
  • MfwleeMfwlee April 2013
    " Can plants take the pp? I have 2 big water potted plants in there which is hard to remove. "

I do not have the statistics, but I suspect most of us do not have plants in ponds of your size. The problem is that your koi will sooner or later either eat them all up, or, forage around their stems until they pull them all out.

If you also decide not to have any plants, now is the time to remove them. Remember, the less things in the water until the pond matures, the better ?
    Mike Lee
    Bro Idris new method looks gud (Y)

Bro Wasabi, Plants can't take pp. Please remove them during treatment. As bro Mike suggest, now is the best time to remove the plants for gud.
  • idrisidris April 2013
    agree.... :)
    OK.. let me think about that.. I always thought plants are good to remove nitrates etc...
    And most importantly provided a shade for them

Also, the kois leave the plants alone though....
  • ray2kray2k April 2013
    Tilapia are very hardy fish. They will survive in water conditions your koi won't. I used lampan and bala sharks as test fishes. They're still there 8 years later.........
    Post edited by wasabi8888 at 2013-04-23 09:40:06 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership