Koi losing colour or changing pattern hence changing variety?
  • pandaipandai March 2013
    I searched around in old threads but could not find specific topic discussing this subject but if there was any; please let me know and provide the link.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are actually significant number of cases where kois lose certain colour either beni or sumi or any other colour on any part of its body that basically changes it to a different variety, for example, a showa losing sumi would become a kohaku (personally I have never come across this but just using it as example).

In my personal experience; I recently got myself a tancho showa tosai. It was doing fine for a few extra months in the dealer's pond but once I brought it back to my pond, it started losing the tancho after a few weeks and eventually became a shiro utsuri! I asked around and some said this phenomenon is not that uncommon.

I just would like to hear actual experience of others, if any. Please share. Thanks.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by pandai at 2013-03-20 07:33:30 am
  • KahhoeKahhoe March 2013
    Bro Pandai ,
    i bought a pcs of tancho sanke last time ... and it done great for first month ... after that ... the tancho slowly disappear by the second month ... and it became a bekko

Thats why i am affraid to rear any variety that has a tancho :-))
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
  • MfwleeMfwlee March 2013
    I have a ( cheap ) Kohaku that is slowly losing its color - starting from the head. Eats like a horse, active, growing and alert - absolutely nothing wrong with it's behavior.
    Checked with the guy who sold it to me - he shrugged his shoulders and reminded me how much I paid for it. @-)
    Mike Lee
    Bro @Kahhoe, come to think of it, mine is also more like a bekko too!

And come to think of it too; could our fish be from the same batch??? :-?

Bro @Mfwlee, in my case, the tancho showa was not that cheap. I got it from a reputable dealer too. Still couldn't figure out what had happened.

Any sifu can provide guidance???
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • ray2kray2k March 2013
    I've also bought a nice Tancho about 25cm and the red colour disappeared after about 1 month. The dealer was nice enough to take it back and refunded my money.

So far, I've seen Sumi come and go but beni comes more than goes(other than tancho).
  • HDCuHDCu March 2013
    So far I have seen some goshikis become kohakus. Showas become shiro utsuris. Sankes become kohakus. Kohakus become goromos. kohaku and shiros become shiro muji. Good thing never happened to my collection so far.
  • kominatokominato March 2013
    Luckily I dont have this problem...so far
    Bro @nivek,

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. That was the exact problem that I had. I have now edited my original title to expand it more to any other changes than just tancho. Hope to learn more from others' experiences. In my case; two decision to make - to keep or cull my new "shiro" AND whether to go out and look for a new tancho showa! ;-)

Bro @ray2k,

Wah! Good dealer lah like that! Which dealer? Hmmmm.... Maybe should try my luck also... ;-)

Bro @HDCU,

Wah, now I don't feel so bad anymore... :-))
    Post edited by pandai at 2013-03-20 07:40:00 am
  • ray2kray2k March 2013
    Bro Pandai,
    Not on line. But I know the guy well and have given him a fair bit of business over the years.

In my case, the fading started at his shop and he agreed that if it didn't recover, he'd take it back.

I admit it was rather nice of him but that's how you nurture a long term business relationship.

I only get cheated once is my personal philosophy. :-))
  • weihanweihan March 2013
    Brp pandai, my tancho end up become totally white la hahaha
  • niveknivek March 2013
    Anybody wanna buy my show ready Tancho for next month's competition? make me an offer hehe :)
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar March 2013
    Bro Kevin,
    Upload photo and video lah, that fellow sure up for grab :-D

P/S: That's one hell of a koi in ur avatar. What variety ?? :-)) :-))
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2013-03-20 09:53:52 am
  • niveknivek March 2013
    Bro TK,

hahaha my avatar looks exactly like me...hair loss, specky, yellow bugger hahaha
  • HDCuHDCu March 2013
    [IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/7828ff0e5766c710f156ae61fff1d1a6.jpg[/IMG]

Here is one of the most famous oyagoi from Dainichi in the world. You can see how see changed from a showa to a beautiful shiro utsuri.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar March 2013
    Wow
    That's a wonderful transformation. Normally kois which had changed variety looks very ugly but this fellow looks stunning man L3
  • niveknivek March 2013
    Amazing! Imagine same koi winning 2 different best in variety :)
  • kwchankwchan March 2013
    Able to dig up some history about a Goshiki transform to Kawarimono and won the first place in both category.

http://www.koi.com/reference/tategoi/2.php
  • smokersmoker March 2013
    It's awesome what happened to the kokugyo fellow. Even after the beni faded away, she become a stunning shiro. :)
    Post edited by smoker at 2013-03-20 12:46:04 pm
  • HDCuHDCu March 2013
    Kokugyo is now 17 years old and still actively breeding. She is one of the favorite oyagoi of Futoshi Mano himself. The other oyagois considered his favorites is Sakura and Marin Jr.
    Haha !!! ... Bro Pandai , i dont think our fish are from the same batch ... because if i not mistaken ... are you talking about the only pcs of tancho showa in few months back dainichi showa batch ? ...Where i were there and saw it because i was choosing showa on the night of arrival too :-)) mine is not from dainichi ...
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
    Bro @Kahhoe, eh, mine from Dainichi ka? Haha! I thought Omosako? Anyway, it's a shiro now. Despite all that, its body is good and it has very good apetite as well. I think it's a keeper, at least for a while. Bro @HDCu, thanks for that beautiful story. I'm inspired to keep my fish now. Who knows, it could be a gem in disguise... [-O<
    Hahaha !!! ... I was with you la on that night when you were choosing so its same as my showa batch which is dainichi ... You will get a special variety of shiro from dainichi :-))
    Oh yes, I remember that wonderful night bro @Kahhoe...!

And that's a very optimistic way to look at it. I will definitely take good care of my Dainichi Shiro! :X
    Thats great !!! ... Its good to keep some unique faded kois too especially when turns into a shiro ... Maybe this shiro will turns into a swan in future :-? Who knows right :-)) I still keeping your pcs video ... it was a very nice tancho showa with lipstick :* ... :-)) :-)) :-))
    Post edited by Kahhoe at 2013-03-21 11:33:54 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership