Going on a holiday - not feeding my kois
  • eugeneeugene March 2013
    Hi all, has anyone of you ever gone on a holiday (say 2 weeks or longer) and just decided not to make arrangements to feed your koi? I'm planning to go for a holiday and I don't have an auto-feeder so I was thinking of letting my fish starve for the 2 weeks or so I'm not around. Anyone done this before?
  • pandaipandai March 2013
    If you have plenty of algae on your pond wall, should be okay. But you will of course find them a bit skinny when you come back two weeks after.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • KahhoeKahhoe March 2013
    Its ok Bro Eugene ... Fish will not die from hunger ... but just the body might look abit skinny when u come back ...
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
  • MfwleeMfwlee March 2013
    I normally give a friendly neighbour a measuring cup, and ask him to feed every 2 days. The measure is about half the normal daily feed - so it means that the fellas are getting about a quarter of what they are used to.
    While knowing that koi can get along without food for weeks, I am a little bit concerned if the bacteria in the filters are being starved as well.
    Actually my bigger problem while away has to do with the frequent power interuptions that I am experiencing during the rainy period - like now. An extended power outage can do nasty things to my pond and FG tanks.
    Mike Lee
  • smokersmoker March 2013
    My opinion is just take this chance to fast them, they will be a bit skinny, but when you come back and start to feed them, they will be bulky again in no time.

• ray2kray2k March 2013
    It shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes I'm overseas and the feeder runs out.....koi look like they've been to Marie France but they recover after that.
  • eugeneeugene March 2013
    Hi all, thanks for your comments. I guess it's okay then for me to leave them in a "fasted" stage for 2 weeks. Is it good for them to fast? For us, it's good we fast sometimes too! :D
  • ShukriShukri March 2013
    Eugene,
    Your kois will be fine...........Just ensure that the electricity will be OK.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • grinkz01grinkz01 March 2013
    welcome back abang shukri from your "long fasting period"...fact shows after long fasting we can get refresh...same to our kois....

been left my kois unfeed for 8 days and cant see skinny or not (but my kois are majority skinny already :-D )...but i am sure unfeed for 2 or even 4 weeks will be ok. same to quarantine period isnt it?
  • redcaptrioredcaptrio May 2013
    <blockquote rel="grinkz01">welcome back abang shukri from your "long fasting period"...fact shows after long fasting we can get refresh...same to our kois....

been left my kois unfeed for 8 days and cant see skinny or not (but my kois are majority skinny already :-D )...but i am sure unfeed for 2 or even 4 weeks will be ok. same to quarantine period isnt it?</blockquote>

(Y)
    "Ecce quam videri"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership