Need advice on my newly purchased fiberglass tank
  • stupidboystupidboy March 2013
    Hi all, im newbie to koi keeping, love the koi very much. previously i got a simple fiberglass tank which is around 2ft x 1ft x 1ft (Small one for small koi), After few months i finally got approval from my financial minister (my wife in case you can't figure out LOL), i decided to build a larger above ground fiberglass tank. after the build i wish to make a wood to cover it up. the one i bought now is black fiberglass 6ft x 4ft x 2ft, after the stock sent to my house, i felt it is quite high, so i planned to cut off a bit height. below is the pic.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/12149/20130303_142732.jpg
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/12150/20130303_142739.jpg

I am worried if i keep cut it... when i put in water... the fiberglass can't hold the water. so i wish to get some advice here.
    and anyone experience how to make the wood or decorate it?like fountain or etc... wish not to be so simple.
  • JiGgiYJiGgiY March 2013
    Hai Bro,

i wonder what is you made a concert pond rather fiber one?much more simple to build and easy to decorate.regarding the fiber tank that you have cut,depends on how many liter you going to fill it.too high may deform the tank and much more worse it will crack.
  • smokersmoker March 2013
    I second Bro Jiggi opinion, if possible, make a concrete and bigger one.
  • kwchankwchan March 2013
    Is your tank a figerglass or PVC material? If it's PVC, it may have risk of getting deform and collapse with the by cutting the rib structure
    So, you should test the tank by filling up the water to at least 80% full see whether it can still stand the force.
    Post edited by kwchan at 2013-03-04 01:46:14 pm
  • KevkoiKevkoi March 2013
    The rib structure on the top is structural! DO NOT cut it.. It will deform and warp with it.
  • MfwleeMfwlee March 2013
    Your 6 x 4 x 2 will give you just under 300 UK gallons - filled to the brim. This is already very small for Koi without your reducing the height further.

As an example, I also use 300 gallon F/G tanks for new tosai - normally 5. They will be quite happy for no more than 6 - 8 months, then I cut back to 3. In another 6 months, even these 3 will be crowded. This will limit how many you want to keep in the long run.

And yes, like advised above, do not cut the top. It is to provide strength especially on the longer side. Cut this off, and you will have practically no support unless you chose to support it from the outside i.e. build a solid box around the whole tank - but this will have to be a solid snug fit.

Some people bury the FG tank up to about 1 foot in the ground. This will definitely help with structural strength but the top will still show a curve after some time unless they wrap it snugly with bricks / tiles, etc.
    Mike Lee
  • MfwleeMfwlee March 2013
    Oops - nearly forgot. Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you located ? :)
    Mike Lee
  • boertokoiboertokoi March 2013
    Hi Bro,
    If you have decided on the tank and location, i suggest u don't bury the tank in with permanent fixings, like filling the side with concrete.

Soon u will need a bigger pond and you might want to use same location to build your bigger concrete and bricks pond. At that time, you can just always move the tank without damaging it, elsewhere (for QT tank) or sell it.

Unless space around the house is not a constraint and your future concrete pond can be at even better location ... :)

just my opinion.

Zul
  • alvinbehalvinbeh March 2013
    Hi bro,
    Look at the photos, if this is where you intend to place the tank, there is no way to bury it underground with all the tiles already in place. I suggest just wrap the tank with something like wood to beautify it, and enjoy the hobby. Sooner you will think of making a bigger pond and the tank can be kept as qt.
    Post edited by alvinbeh at 2013-03-04 09:18:01 pm
  • niveknivek March 2013
    From the photo I think he has already cut the fgt.
    Hi all, thanks for the opinion and sorry for the late response,
    <blockquote rel="kwchan">Is your tank a figerglass or PVC material? If it's PVC, it may have risk of getting deform and collapse with the by cutting the rib structure
    So, you should test the tank by filling up the water to at least 80% full see whether it can still stand the force. </blockquote>
    My tank is a fiber material as claimed by the seller.

<blockquote rel="Mfwlee">Oops - nearly forgot. Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you located ? :) </blockquote>
    Hi, thanks for the warm welcome, Me from Cheras.

<blockquote rel="boertokoi">Hi Bro,
    If you have decided on the tank and location, i suggest u don't bury the tank in with permanent fixings, like filling the side with concrete.

Soon u will need a bigger pond and you might want to use same location to build your bigger concrete and bricks pond. At that time, you can just always move the tank without damaging it, elsewhere (for QT tank) or sell it.

Unless space around the house is not a constraint and your future concrete pond can be at even better location ... :)

just my opinion.

Zul</blockquote>
    Hi bro, thanks for the opinion, I do not intent to bury the tank/pond as It might need larger budget to do so or i can say my financial minister won't allowed. so my idea is to build a wooden around it just support and make it look more beautiful. (wooden balinese style)

<blockquote rel="alvinbeh">Hi bro,
    Look at the photos, if this is where you intend to place the tank, there is no way to bury it underground with all the tiles already in place. I suggest just wrap the tank with something like wood to beautify it, and enjoy the hobby. Sooner you will think of making a bigger pond and the tank can be kept as qt.</blockquote>

Hi bro, this is what i planned exactly, just I need advice on how to close it with wood, should i let the wood craftsmen do it? or i can DIY? got no idea about how to beautify it yet.

Even though i cutted it, I just cut just a little bit from top, and i hope it has enough support to hold the water while i can get a better view on it. as if i do not cut it, it seems a bit high.

• alvinbehalvinbeh March 2013
    Hi Bro,
    The wood will strengthen the tank structure thus no worry. You just need to ensure the wrap around wood is as close as possible to the side of the tank. You may opt to use high density foam to fill some of the gap between tank side wall and the wood. Perhaps bro kwchan can show some pictures of his masterpiece.
  • kwchankwchan March 2013
    Here is how I did mine :

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12362/PVC Tank Before and After Resized.JPG
    Thanks for the pic
  • stupidboystupidboy April 2013
    Hi all gurus, Previously bought all the equipment from this shop, but i don't know why he help me throw away the boxes (he said it is the service, i don't have enough time to see the spec), and even the air pump spoiled within a month, i already sent it back and what they did is changed the rubber as they claimed.
    So when i setup the pump and filter, i opened the filter to have a look. attached is what it inside, Do you all think it is good enough? i felt like being cheated. i spent RM2800 for all the equipment, What you see in the picture is all what i have now.
    And what i found out after i setup is.... even the fish shit float over the pump, it will not suck to the filter, is it normal?
    advice needed, I need to let all the equipment run for a while first before i setup the wood.
    Post edited by stupidboy at 2013-04-19 09:51:12 pm
  • MfwleeMfwlee April 2013
    The equipment that you have bought should be satisfactory for your 8 small koi for the time being. You will face a problem as they grow - but lets leave that for later.

Make sure that the water pickup and the water return are at opposite ends of the tank. The idea is that you want to set up a flow of water that will bring all the muck to the water pick up. If you have them both on the same side, then you will have a " dead " area on the opposite side - and this is bad.

Careful positioning of an aerator ( air pump and stones ) near the pick up will also help circulation as the bubbles cause water to rise, and the water on the bottom then rushes in to fill the space. This is trial and error - move the stones around until you can see an improvement of water flow.

A FG tank is not difficult to set up - and many of us still use FG tanks to grow our young koi.

Best of luck ! :)
    Mike Lee
  • MfwleeMfwlee April 2013
    After you have set up a good flow of water, you then need to prepare for the time that your filter will need to mature. We refer to this as New Pond Syndrome or NPS.

If you only have 2 or 3 fish in the tank, this NPS period will likely pass bye even without your noticing it. Your current stocking level seems to point towards the need for caution as your filters take 4 - 6 weeks to mature before it can process the waste from all of the fish.

Look up NPS on the internet - it basically tells you to measure your water perimeters like a hawk for a number of weeks until your filter matures. There is a lot of information as to what action to take, and so on.

We all go through this NPS with a new tank / pond - just takes care and time.
    Mike Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership