Need advice on pumps
  • wasabi8888wasabi8888 February 2013
    Hi all

I need some advice on the function of the pumps.

Attached is a pic of my existing pond. It's a 6000 litre pond. My intention is to put a filter at X and have 2 pumps at Y to pump water in. There is no drainage below.

I was told by someone when i wanted to use the 2 pumps simultaneously to pump water in that

"You have two large-ish areas there that need the bases kept clean. Short of buying two filters you would have to alternate these. You have to imagine that these two pumps on the pond base are bottom drains, if you attempt to feed two bottom drains to one filter, the one with the shortest pipe run will always supply 90% of the water whilst the other is almost redundant."

I am not sure about this statement and I prob dun understand the physics behind it.
    If 2 pumps are working fine, why cant both be on?

Any sifus to clarify?

Thanks
    Post edited by wasabi8888 at 2013-02-26 11:16:30 pm
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2013
    Not an engineer by any means, but just a from a layman's point of view.

Assuming that you have parallel delivery systems from the pumps, then the limitation will be the capacity of your filter. Can the filter handle the water from both pumps at the same time ? Yes, the delivery rates will be different if using the same spec pumps for both - but I don't see how the 90% vs redundant comes about.

As for the different delivery rate ( the further pump will have a slightly lower rate because of the distance / resistance ) you could always have a slightly larger pump to compensate.

My personal worry will be the shape of the pond - this does not encourage good circulation of filtered water unless you also have parallel water returns ... and if you want to do so, then the idea of using two filters looks more attractive ? :-(
    Mike Lee
    Also, can the filter be put in the middle - and have a split water return to both sides of the pond ?
    Mike Lee
  • wasabi8888wasabi8888 February 2013
    Sorry. What is parallel water return? I guess I can direct the outlet of the filter to both sides. Position of the filter is fixed due to space constraints.
    In my laymans definition - " inline " means one after the other, same pipe. " Parallel " means 2 pipes, each with a control valve, so that you can balance the flow. :)
    Mike Lee
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2013
    Bro wasabi,
    Not sure what is your plan and restriction but using pump in the pond to feed the filter has many disadvantages. The pump alone will not last long or may get clogged fast. Bro Lee was correct, both pumps will pump the water at the same time. The diagram is too simple to look at the details. Maybe you can search some hobbyist ponds in this forum to get more info and ideas.
  • wasabi8888wasabi8888 March 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership