Circulation
  • JiGgiYJiGgiY February 2013
    Morning ladies and gent....

Need some answer on this topic.regardless of TPR or pump to circulated our pond.(any size).can we only use air pumps/air stone or domes to circulate our pond?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2013
    Welcome to the forum Bro.

IMHO, circulation depends on your pond size, volume and other factors. It is possible to have it in small pond, but not as effective as under water venturi. Please share more details of your pond ex: dimension, volume, how many kois been kept and etc.
    Sifu's here would be able to help you based on the data given.
    :)
    thanks...what i mean is,no TPR,no pumps to circulate pond.just using air stone/dome.is it possible?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2013
    Yes bro, it's possible (not as effective as tpr) but only works for small pond with high output air pump. You have to put the air stone at strategic location to have circulation. You also have to consider the location of ur bd and Ss.
    Pls share ur pond details bro :)
    thanks again bro...just need to clear things up.small pond only?how about large ponds like momotaro?my pond is small n ugly..hehe
  • nocturnalnocturnal February 2013
    welcome to the forum :)

any filter in this setup? may i know how do u propose to draw water into the filter without any water pump?

Post edited by nocturnal at 2013-02-18 12:52:28 pm
    Bro...pond already running for almost a year with a bad design.can't afford to redesign at this moment to my busy schedule.pond is 15 feet long x 5.4 feet width x 3 feet deep only.pist poor design by contractor who wouldn't listen to my design and to my bad luck have to travel when they complete the pond.but lucky me the pond running well to lack of poor workmanship.now am just tricking and adjust to make things work.3 chamber with j-mats,brush and crush corals.pumps for waterfalls and single TPR which is "missed" place by the builder.am trying to learn about circulation.

filter is running on gravity feed BD with pump for returns.wonder to use air pumps as return,but having issue of pump no strong enough.only 0.78psi.so now i will use that pump to produce circulation using straight flow.
    as you guys can see...
    ah... so u do have water pump :)
    thanx for taking the time to explain :)
    hard to do a straight flow for ur pond since water return & air stones are on the opposite side.
    for straight flow it's always water return & diffusser at one side, BD & SS on the other.
    i'm sure you can improve circulation & flow using air lifts, like what Bro TK said it needs to be placed at ideal location in ur pond.

the purpose of gd circulation/flow in pond is to guide fish waste out of the main water column into the BD & then filter. having more turnover rate will get it done faster :)
    any ideas on where should i relocate my air stone...?
    trying to shut off my TPR just using air stone as pic.return only to waterfalls and above water return.
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/11911/Untitled.png
  • boykoiboykoi February 2013
    hlo bro,

it would be best IMHO to have your return on one end of your narrow side of the pond, skimmer and bottom drains on the other so as to maximize current to flow through your longer side of the pond. Also consider surface output, mid returns also so as to have currents for your kois to swim against
    may i know where is BD located?
  • boykoiboykoi February 2013
    BD's are more appropriate at the opposite end of your returns, as well as the skimmer.i have read about the straight flow system in this forum by david soon, and have adapted it on my pond design as well.TPR's puts a lot of friction loss on pumps,one direction returns are more functional and maximized.try it bro
    Morning...sorry for the late reply...only have TPR install 2inch below pond floor.now not using it convert it to above return circulating the pond anti clock.regarding BD's you can refer as pic attach.really poor builder.try to advise to change location when i was around,when i came back from traveling they build differently.even my filter chamber is a mess.now just trying to figure out how to create more circulation to move debris on the bottom.
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/11912/Untitled.png
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2013
    Just want to check with all our sifus.

Airstones create an upward flow / current, and the bottom layers of water rush in to fill the place vacated by the water that is moving upwards ?

Looking at the slope, and the BD's that are biased towards the right of the diagram - wouldn't it be better to have the airstones also on the right hand side ?
    Mike Lee
    right hand side?
    Gd Morning Bro Jiggiy & Bro Mike :)

i'm definitely not a sifu :-D , i was in the same predicament b4 & just wants to help a fellow hobbyist :)

Bro Jiggiy,
    how was fish waste settling on pond floor b4 & after the tweaking? it will give a good idea which flow is better, my guess with the current return, a lot of waste would settled north east of pond? (west being where the air stones are located). is east side ur viewing area too?

Post edited by nocturnal at 2013-02-19 10:38:36 am
    Ok guys...this is present tweak running few months already.poo mostly near pond edge near the round structure but seldom stay long due fish help to move it to the BD's or water movement.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/11914/Untitled.png
    thank you for a better picture of how things are, can see that airstones & even water return are not at the location in ur black & white diagram.

wish u all the best with the tweaking & getting the results u wanted :)
    blue pipe it the present water return.
  • alvinbehalvinbeh February 2013
    Hi JiGgiY,
    There is one hobbyist with similar pond design that looks good. You may want to check with him.

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/1870/the-pond...-update-after-6-months...enjoy.../p1
  • JiGgiYJiGgiY March 2013
    Bro alvin,that is my pond. ;-) already settle my circulation problem.thanks
  • alvinbehalvinbeh March 2013
    Ic, didnt know that. Good that your problem is settled.
  • JiGgiYJiGgiY March 2013
    sorry...my old account cannot log in...forget password..
    :-))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership